Think I might have fried my motor

coinmaster

10 W
I'm using a cyclone 3000 on a KMX trike and I took it out into the rain yesterday, I covered the electronics in bubble wrap to avoid getting them wet but I ran into this monsterous puddle that I couldn't avoid and almost submerged the bike in it.
After that I checked the electronics and they seemed to be relatively okay but a few minutes later the motor stopped moving.
The lights turn on on the throttle but the motor does not move. I tried replacing the controller with another known working controller and the motor still does not move.
I don't understand What could have happened. I have doubts whether the motor could have died from this incident, I'm thinking maybe the throttle is to blame?

If you think that water might have made it into the Motor, then I suggest not wasting any time to disassemble it and dry it.

It could be that the water has damaged one or all Hall sensors, in which case you will have to open it anyways, to replace them.
If you think that the Motor is fine, then you could test the Hall sensors with a voltmeter while the controller is hooked up and powered on.
You can also check your Throttle this way.

Just hook up Voltmeter probes between the Black (Ground) and Green (Signal) wire of the throttle,
and measure the voltage change from ca.1-1.5V to 4-4.5V.

The voltage between the black and green wires of the throttle alternates from 4.5 to 5v when pulling the throttle.

The motor core itself being wet for a while shouldn't hurt it, I agree it's most likely the halls.

Or a wet throttle after reading the last couple posts.

Umm, you must have never had a motor rust on you before.

Unless it has been coated on the inside, there is a pretty good chance that it's going to seize eventually.

Also I'm talking about the Motor being wet on the inside, in case that wan't clear.

The motor stopped working a few minutes after the big splash.
When I checked the connections the two prong plug on the throttle was definitely wet inside.
The throttle still lit up though. As of today the lights don't work on the throttle anymore but the it does turn the controller on.
Is there something I can short out to make the motor move or do I need a working throttle to test that?

If the throttle voltage is out of range, the controller will go into a safety shutdown mode. It has to be between about .8v and 4v. The limits vary depending on controller model.

It is possible that when it got wet it fried the throttle.

eee291 said:
Umm, you must have never had a motor rust on you before.

Unless it has been coated on the inside, there is a pretty good chance that it's going to seize eventually.

Also I'm talking about the Motor being wet on the inside, in case that wan't clear.

Sure, if it rusts for a while it might eventually seize, but that's caused by prolonged moisture, it doesn't happen suddenly.

If it gets wet, the heat from normal operation will evaporate the moisture pretty quickly, provided it has a place to vent to.

Most motors aren't sealed for obvious reasons, they don't need to be, they just need to be able to drain out any water they ingest.

Back