No lag, instant response controller recommendations

flat tire

100 kW
As an example, the Alta Redshift MXR or a Tesla does not have lag.

Who has found a controller that is apparently lag free for a experienced rider? I'm talking completely instant response. My need is in the 6-15kw range. Sine wave is nice, foc too but not necessary.

What controller does the Alta use?

Find machines that have the characteristic you want and see what controller they use.

Sevcon controllers are extremely programmable, so things like lag can be programmed. However anytime you are using a controller that is torque based, there is always a feedback loop between motor current and the PWM used, and the throttle is the control value. This can be tuned to minimize lag time, but it won't be zero. Expect to spend a lot of time tuning the system.

To make a lag free torque altorithm the system must be fully characterized and then a predictive algorithm used to avoid feedback delays. This would make the system complex to set up and not something that could be sold to the general user.

Simple square wave controllers can have effectively zero lag as they just read the throttle convert it to a PWM value and set the registers, so the delay can be microseconds. From there it is just the inductive ramp up of the motor current. They add filtering lag to their algorithm to make it smoother, otherwise blipping the throttle can make uncontrollable thrust. Truly zero lag may not be controllable, even by an expert.

So the trick becomes programming just the right altorithm and tuning it, rather than truly zero lag.

Alan B said:
So the trick becomes programming just the right altorithm and tuning it, rather than truly zero lag.

OK, and I'm looking for off the shelf controllers that have very low apparent lag, not zero theoretical lag. Technical BS aside, we're talking microseconds of lag for something like a bang-bang or well setup FOC. I would say that's acceptable. I don't know any cheap controllers that implement DTC (bang bang) though.

I've looked into the sevcon before but Electricmotorsport won't even sell me one! Bastards! Anyone have a good source for that besides ebay?

ASI BAC8000 tuned right is as fast of response and as violent of a hit as you setup the phase current slew rates to be.

Back