KT controller questions

eysteinn

1 µW
Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some advise from you about an upgrade that I want to do.

I have what I think is a 500w direct drive 9continent motor and would like to have pedal assist and a screen that I don't think my current controller supports so I want to replace the controller. I have 48v system.

This is what I have found: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-48V1000W-1500W-Controller-LCD3-display-PAS-Set-for-E-bike-and-E-bike-Conversion/32807043297.html
I believe its a kunteng controller. I want to be future proof since one day I might upgrade my dd motor to a higher powered version and therefore I looked at 1500w controllers.

So my questions are:
1) Will I kill my 500w dd motor with this controller or do you think it will tolerate the increased power?
2) Do you know if this controller has hard speed limit? I don't want to be limited by 25 km/h or something like that.
3) Can I use switch between pedal assist and throttle or will one disable the other?
4) Do you have any experience or insight about this controller? or is there some crucial information that i'm missing?

Thank you for any information that you can share.

For everything to work right, the controller needs to know how fast that rear wheel is turning. That can be done with hall sensors built into the hub motor, as well as external speed sensors, similar to what you might find in a digital speedo kit. You need one or the other.

That controller is huge, both from a dimension standpoint and from a capacity standpoint. 1000-1500w DD hubs use 35-40amp controllers. Unless you are off roading or planning on some really big mods, you could likely get away with something smaller.

The KT controllers I've set up to date have something like 75kmh upper speed limits. That has nothing to do with how fast you can go though. That's about the strength of your motor, and how it was wound (for speed, or for torque).

They can also be set up to limit max watts to the motor - up to something like 1/2 of the available from the battery.

Pedal assist and the throttle can be used together, as well as one or the other.

I've learned the KT controllers (w/LCD3 displays) are ideal for my purposes, but if something gets sideways and you need support, who you get it from can make a night and day difference. E.G.- My most recent purchase was a nice controller, but the regen feature that it was advertised as having, either didn't work or it wasn't equipped that way. This guy takes several days to respond with near useless information (on several occasions) that pretty much assumed I can't read, and I've never used one of these previously - wrong on both counts. I decided to return it to him, and as it was purchased through Amazon I assumed this would not be an issue. Well, this jerk claims there's nothing wrong with the controller - to avoid having to pay return freight. Now working with my credit card company. By the way, this controller originally came from Risun, and their tech support tried to help, but after supplying them with a video proving the controller was set up properly and the regen was still not working, they've gone silent.....

New controller from PSWPower (same model), not yet installed.
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-28ym

Back