Silverfish rear seat tube battery mounting conundrum

mickk

100 W
Folks I need some advice. The battery almost fits the frame.
Here is the space I have to adapt to hold the battery.

1 001 [1280x768].JPG

You can see its not ideal.

1 002 [1280x768].JPG

With the baseplate attached, pressure would be placed on the wires.

1 008 [1280x768].JPG

If I cut a hole in the top of the old controller housing to fit the plug, it seems to be the go.

View attachment 4
View attachment 2

baseplate and plug

1 009 [1280x768].JPG

But I am left with a huge gap between the flush battery locking slider mount and the old locking mech which is the closest mounting point on the frame. I them have no support at the base for the slider on the frame. Only the old plastic housing seems ot be available for support.

1 006 [1280x768].JPG

What can you suggest, or should I be looking to set the slider rail aft and then try to bridge the gap to the seat tube? The battery has the rounded nook to sit up against the tube, as does the old controller housing. Gravity wants it to be against the seat tube not aft.

I can only think to forget the locking mech and tie it to the seat post, or bend/adapt the old lock plate to stretch across the gap that would be behind the battery slider. That would secure the top half using the lock pin but the bottom would be free. The bottom would need to be supported or too much pressure would be placed on the single lock pin.

All advice welcome!

if you really want to save space, have the wires come out of the side opposite the seat post and do away with the oem connector you have. Install a loop key (or two) with an xt90. plastic print a smaller triangle so that your battery comes down and inch and sits where you had it in the first image.

Should be easy to do in cad. If you can get it made in petg it will be more waterproof too. The shape you need is pretty simple so you could do it in wood and varnish it (which can be lighter than plastic)

anyway that connector is really the issue as its stopping you drop the battery lower.

hope this helps

Id also have the rail on the seat post and swivel the top on the battery.

Thanks Wal. I understand most of what you say but do not have the ability to put into practice.
As soon as I get it upright, I will be able to picture things better I hope.
People here can fix things with wire but I wouldnt let them anywhere near a battery.

Back