Cyclone Co-axial - motor dies everytime I install/re-install chain

DABANSHEE

10 µW
Hello everyone. I have posted on this forum before but it's so infrequently over the years that it's easier to start again. I'm frustrated enough with my Cyclon Elite 4kw co-axial CKD build that the last thing I need is more frustration looking for old forum names & passwords. It's the psuedo 'downhill' dual suspension job. I maybe wrong but there are some issues about the rear suspension that bring up an odd questionmark or 3 in regards true downhill MTB functionality, hopefully I'm proved wrong. I Think it will make a great commuter bike though.

I sent a letter to Paco:-

"With my bike the motor works without the chain. But as soon as I add the chain (& after making sure it's ok by rotating the pedals with my hands with the rear wheel off the ground & moving the gear leaver to see the derailleur go left-right-left correctly under the cogs & the gears change correctly) the motor dies when I flick the throttle & I have to disconnect 'n reconnect the wiring to get it working again, but dieing again if the chain's still on it or if I put it back on.

Any ideas?"

Paco replied by sending me a Chinese BMS bluetooth app, but somehow I don't think it's a BMS problem. Maybe some sort of safety cutout's cutting in for some reason......?

Do any of the wise brethren here have any ideas they want to share....

So with a little load (chain on) it dies? Then it could well be the BMS cutting off the battery supply as the voltage drop might be too great. Is the battery completely charged AND balanced?

Bugger, that mean I'm finally going have to step up more cash for a new phone too - The BMS links Paco sent are for iphone/Android but I'm a retrograde fucker who still uses a Symbian phone from near 15 years ago.

Going by the throttle display there's a little voltage drop from about 75v to 73v. Anyway I charged the thing up till the charger went green & the throttle display went up to the mid 80's & it still happened.

It could be that the LVC (Low Voltage Cut off) is set too high (73V?) in the BMS software. So an android device with Blue Tooth that can read out all the settings is a must. Can't you borrow a tablet or phone from someone just to look up the settings?

it appears I may have worked it out. I hadn't finished tightening the 3 bolts that tighten the shell around the motor, think a real fat bottom bracket, & it seems there was just enough twisting torque to slightly undo one of the connectors in the cable mess. Using a wide elastic band pulled taut, pulling both ends of the connector in question & adding extra resistance has done the job. well together with tightening the 3 bolts.

What battery is it? If the controller hits the low voltage cutoff it will recover in about a second. You also mentioned the voltage only drops 2v, that means there is is about 10-15A draw when you do this.
So it It seems like it is either the BMS indeed, the controller, or very unlikely the motor.

What I would do: don't "flick" the throttle, press it slowly. Flicking is a terrible idea with a high power drive.
If you have another bike that can use a 72v battery, use it with it to lower your charge level below 75%. 84v is 100%, 78v is 75%, 72v is 50%, 66 is 25%, 60 is 0%. You want to stay inside the 75-25% range and store it at 50%.

Do you have a 3 speed switch or other switches on the handlebar? Do you have the bluetooth enabled controller?

DABANSHEE said:
it appears I may have worked it out. I hadn't finished tightening the 3 bolts that tighten the shell around the motor

Edit: Glad to hear it has worked out. It ran into that myself, it was twisted a bit in the bracket. Best way to nudge the motor around in the bracket is loosening the screws and use a wooden hammer, while applying force in the desires direction with your hand. You need to make it tight but not too tight to damage the material.
If you have any questions you can find us in the coaxial bike thread.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88921
You indeed probably shouldn't use it as a dh bike but it is a great little stealth cruiser for rough and dirt roads. You are fine doing anything an XC bike can, and doing it fast. Doing 30mph/50kph on dirt backroads is a thrill no normal bike can give you. The rear suspension will get noticeably better if you grease them a bit.
Some have gone as far to machine the holes out and put in proper bearings. https://youtu.be/xLzqqzSSCvU

Back