TSDZ mid mounting

trek988

1 µW
I'm planning on getting a Greenspeed Magnum XL in the future. I currently have a Trident Terrain with a Bafang BBSO2 mounted on it. I had a TSDZ motor on it and after getting it all sorted out decided it didn't have enough power.
For my next Trike I've decided that I need more gearing than what I can get with a Middrive motor.
I was thinking of doing a hub motor but those are expensive. Since I have the TSDZ motor that I'm not using I was thinking of mounting it at a mid point on the trike. I saw someone had done a Bafang motor this way but I can't seem to find it now that I'm looking for it.
I know I'll have to devise a way to take slack up out of the chain in the front when I shift gears.
What I don't know is will the gears I put on the motor have an effect on the overall gear ratios. I'd like to retain the gear ratios that the trike has. I figure the gears need to be the same size but I don't understand what size the gears need to be. Does it matter as long as both of them are the same size? I figure if this works then I can invest in a higher amp hour battery.

Back