hi speed low speed switch, whats happening?

jimmyhackers

10 kW
just did some tinkering with my new controller in the form of attaching the high speed low/speed switch.

my old controller at 72v did 40mph max. i thought this was the same with my new controller until i connected the switch.

this one on low does 30mp, at mid 40mph, and on the high does 55mph!!! (possibly more but i ran out of road and balls)

can anyone explain whats happening within the controller to get this extra rpm/speed form the same voltage??

i half remember watchign a video about electric drag bikes..and the guy mentioned i think "phase ghosting" or something like that. essentially said you mess with the wave forms of the power being sent for more rpm...

is thats whats going on here?

Most likely it's simply limiting the throttle input to the controller, or rather, limiting how the controller responds to the throttle. So it isn't actually ever getting "full throttle" until you set the switch to "high".

Could be something different, but that's how various ones I've had work.

that's it "field weakening" god knows why i thought phase ghosting :s
thank you

ive been reading up, interesting stuff.

i don't think it was throttle limiting....my old controller had a progressive increase in rpm/speed in relation to a voltage increase (more batteries) 48v = 30mph and 72v = 40mph

i might be wrong but i though each motor had a fixed KV rating....and therefore my hub motor had a fixed top speed/rpm.

i think maybe the low speed switch might be throttle limiting (30mph). and not connected (mid speed) is regular operation at 40mph.

at high speed i havnt reached top speed on the road but spinning the wheel in air at this mode......i can hear almost an octave increase in pitch of the wheel. which would indicate almost a doubling of max rpm.

which is very much like what field weakening does. nearly double top rpm.

only problem now is this kind of rpm really shows up how unbalanced and uneven my wheel is :(

Back