Intermittent hall sensor problem

multifrag

100 W
I have occasions when the hub motor would just drive into halt or start to jerk while at speed. I figured it was one of the hall sensor going bad. Checked if they react to magnet polarity and all of them do. Checked the wiring for broken or loose wire. All seem to work with out a problem. That leaves me thinking whether or not this is the controller acting up. My controller uses X8M06-C microcontroller. Don't think i can reflash it. Is there any other possible solutions to this problem or should I just buy a new controller?

P.S. The biggest pain in a*hole is that this problem is intermittent. Sometimes it can fix itself by just continuing to push the throttle, sometimes you need to stop and wait a little bit. I'll take it apart, do some continuity and power cycles and find nothing wrong. Assemble the bike back, ride 10 miles and it will happen again...

What does the battery voltage do when this happens?

Is it happening at any particular place in the ride? I mean, such that conditions during the ride at that point or just before it could be causing it?

If it is a hall issue, and you actually have to wait for it to recover, then heat is a possible cause. I've had an overheated motor fail to output any hall signal until it cooled off, without damaging the sensors permanently.

If it "recovers" randomly, where sometimes it doesn't work untl you touch something, wiring, etc., then an intermittent wiring break or contact failure is the most likely cause (even if they all measure fine with continuity/ohms).

amberwolf said:
What does the battery voltage do when this happens?

Is it happening at any particular place in the ride? I mean, such that conditions during the ride at that point or just before it could be causing it?

If it is a hall issue, and you actually have to wait for it to recover, then heat is a possible cause. I've had an overheated motor fail to output any hall signal until it cooled off, without damaging the sensors permanently.

If it "recovers" randomly, where sometimes it doesn't work untl you touch something, wiring, etc., then an intermittent wiring break or contact failure is the most likely cause (even if they all measure fine with continuity/ohms).

Happens with fully charged battery and the controller is asking only 1kW , so not a lot of voltage sag. Same thing with the temperature. Sometimes happens right at the beginning of the journey not to mention 9C with 1kW should heat that much up. I will recheck all the wires as I had to rewire the hub itself, maybe some wire is shorting or is split. I've checked for broken strands with multimeter and they looked healthy... Thanks for the tips

TommyCat said:
Intermittent is the worst! :( Come to a stop or jerk at speed... I'd start with disconnecting the brake switches first...

I don't have any attached. The controller has no regen, so didn't bother modifying hydraulic brakes i already had installed

Back