Delta/wye

BDamari

10 W
For the last two months or so I have been researching on how to convert a hub motor to delta from wye, possibly with a relay setup; I was hoping to get some answers from you guys.
I know the steps, but I was warned that if I do something wrong it can cause the engine to stutter? I know the rewiring process and the way it should be done, and the basic precautions with soldering and whatnot.

I'll probably do a setup with bullet connectors (inspired by OutLawE-Rider) so I wont have to resolder or mess with relays incase I want to revert to wye.
Does the power consumption change? I'm planning to do it with a 48/52v 40amp peak controller.
Should I do it myself with basic-intermediate knowledge in ev's and some experience with soldering?
What other dangers should I know of?
Thank you!

It's my understanding that wye draws fewer amps, and that was the basis for several experiments many years ago. (*delta provides more RPMs for the same watts)

Since high-amp cells have become readily available these last three years or so, interest in delta/wye switching has faded.

spinningmagnets said:
It's my understanding that wye draws fewer amps, and that was the basis for several experiments many years ago. (*delta provides more RPMs for the same watts)

Since high-amp cells have become readily available these last three years or so, interest in delta/wye switching has faded.
Yes, but what I am doing it for is getting the maximum speed out of a motor.
I was told that someone was able to squeeze 60kmh/40mph from a 350w rated motor on a 20inch wheel, but the torque from 0-10kmh obviously became really poor, but I dont mind pedaling up to that speed and then activating the motor.
This is why I am interested in doing this (I also have a 350w ebike that I am planning to do this on, but still dont have the knowledge and confidence).

If you want to use a motor you already have, and you want the max RPMs from it without rewinding it to a different Kv, or changing the system voltage...then delta provides higher RPMs compared to wye.

40mph requires approx. 2000W so if that 350W motor did, it probably wouldn't be for long...

Punx0r said:
40mph requires approx. 2000W so if that 350W motor did, it probably wouldn't be for long...
I do think it is possible with peaks of 18-20A on a fully charged 48v battery in delta.. or atleast 35mph.
For instance my 20inch 350w ebike gets to 24mph on level ground in wye. (15A peak controller 48v)

Back