Sudden loss of ebrake, Phase Runner

knurf

100 W
I have been using the phaserunner v2 almost daily since july for my commuting ebike. It is paired with a CA v3 DPS and a pretty large mxus 3k rear motor. It's been months since I changed any of settings on this particular bike. It's running sensored and producing up to 20amps of regen on my 14s6p battery.

Today leaving for work, after a few minutes of riding the power just suddenly cut out. Wasn't accelerating or even going very fast (power limited <300W to get in some light exercise). Upon unplugging it and then back in it was back alive, throttle working. But I had lost all ebrake function.

I have a separate button to ebrake which I use extensively for any non critical stops. The CA could see the ebrake operation as before, showing the brake symbol, but the phaserunner just wouldn't do anything. Tried plugging all connectors out and back but nothing changed.

I hooked it to the computer and saw "brake 2" being 1.45v. At first it dropped to like 0.89v when pressing the ebrake button, but after some more testing it stopped doing that too. The "lights" on the phase runner suite window never indicated ebrake, but I guess that is related to voltage never dropping lower than ~0.9v.

Anything else I can try?

knurf said:
Anything else I can try?
Work back from the beginning to isolate the failing component - brake sensor, CA, or PR.

1. Determine if the CA is consistently seeing the ebrake signal. This is indicated by the CA Main Screen brake icon.
    >>> If not, then you most likely have a sensor or ebrake connection problem.
  2. Determine if the CA is consistently sending the proper brake voltage to the PR. This is indicated by the OUT voltage field on the Diagnostics Screen. This should immediately drop to EBk->Brake Out when brakes are applied. If EBk->Prop Regen is enabled and the ebrakes are applied, the reading should go to 0V as the throttle is opened.

>>> If the CA doesn't behave as described then review the associated EBk settings and verify they are correct. If they are then there may be a CA firmware bug - report to Grin. Attempt repair by re-flashing the firmware to defaults and reconfigure from scratch without using a previously saved Setup file.

>>> If CA behaves as described then you have a PR or connection issue. I would start by attempting to match the PR Utility Dashboard values with the OUT voltage on the CA Diagnostic screen. Since the ebrake voltage normally rides the throttle connection, if the throttle is working normally but the PR is not detecting the proper ebrake voltage then you probably have either:
    • A broken connection of the 'hidden' ebrake wires in the PR throttle connector. See "5.3 Separate Ebrake Input" of the PR Manual. Inspect and fix as required.
    • A misconfiguration of the PR. Try reflashing with a saved confiuration.
    • Something else (?) - email Grin.

I've dropped an email to grin as well. This feels like something changed by itself and that's never good..

I did some more testing and the CA throttle out value is different than what the PR reports. The PR consistently reports a higher voltage. It doesn't flash any error codes or similar. I wasn't able to bring the ebrake function back what ever I did.

Since I can't seem to fix this and I need the bike up and running I've switched to my backup controller, but I hope this PR can be brought back to life or a problem covered by warranty.

Back