Replaced my controller. Now only getting 19km/h

ccgarnaal

10 mW
I have an older sparta emotion C4 ebike. Which I keep as a spare to my main commuter ebike.
The bike has a sanyo CMU9 geared front hub motor and runs on 36V
Recently I somehow managed to fry the original ananda controller. :cry:

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/THCSQSFndmZjPD5R9

I replaced the controller with a cheap chinese ebay generic one a 350W "brainpower kslp45" which I bought with display.
(This controller can also work without Hall sensor)

After replacing the motor runs and has power. But the max speed is 19km/h. (the display connected to the controller says it's 54km/h)
I measured current consumption and very low current at idle / no load. So I assume I have the HALL sensor wires correct now.
I also tried without the HALL sensor and with a different throttle.

I tried increasing current limit, set smaller wheels size. Still only 19km/h. :?
Ebay seller ghosted as usual. And no longer list this controller + display set. :evil:
I know this CMU9 is a slow wound motor. But I shoudl at least be able to get the original 25km/h right?
What am I doing wrong? Did I buy a shit controller and do I just need another?
If so which one?

In your photo for the Brainpower controller, the current number is scratched out. I bought one last year. It was 13A. It had a learning mode that worked. It had a small external potentiometer to adjust the top speed. You should set P1 for wheel size, and adjust P@ til the speedometer matches reality.

I don't recall the top speed. I used it with a 20" wheel and Q100H motor. It probably only went about 20-24 km/hour, and I found this was a bit too slow for me too. I switched to a KT torque simulation controller that could do 20A. That does about 30-33km/hr for me.

PSWPpower.com sells 20A sinewave and squarewave controllers for about $25. Add an LCD for $25, $25 to ship to USA. Should probably work with your brakes, PAS, throttle, but adding them is not expensive.

Thank you for the reply.
I tried adjusting the wheel size to as low as 10 ".
But my supicion it is just a shit controller is thus confirmed.

So with a 25usd sinewave controler I should be good? http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-33c0

It might just be a hidden menu option on the display to allow for a higher maximum RPM. Or there is a 3-speed function and it is default in the middle. Are there any connectors not used?

ccgarnaal said:
Thank you for the reply.
I tried adjusting the wheel size to as low as 10 ".
But my supicion it is just a shit controller is thus confirmed.

So with a 25usd sinewave controler I should be good? http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-33c0

Purchased a 35 amp KT based controller from PSWPower 30 days ago. Got it, worked great, then started having cruise control issues. If I hold the throttle open to a fairly high setting for a few seconds, the cruise will engage by itself. Complete with the big C indicated in the window where the PAS level normally resides. A bit disconcerting, but it does cancel normally so not too big a deal. Normall engagement of the cruise, where you are asking it to work, in inop. This thing is right at 30 days old, and might have 100 miles on it.

So I inquired about their warranty procedure. Here's the response:

"Hello
you can return controller to china for repair. then we can send it with your next order
------------------
Thanks & best regards
Alice Luo

Be a cold day before I order from them again, so I'm interpreting the response to say "we'll fix it when we get around to it (assuming we ever even acknowledge we received it), and then send it back if you're willing to pay return freight." This for a 45 dollar controller.

Bottom line, they have no warranty. Suggest you avoid.

SlowCo said:
It might just be a hidden menu option on the display to allow for a higher maximum RPM. Or there is a 3-speed function and it is default in the middle. Are there any connectors not used?

I have a list of the controller functions.
The only connectors not used at the moment are ebrake and pas.

The only setting I'm unfamiliar with is P07 "magnetic poles ratio"
It tried changin it anywhere from 10-80 but it didn't have any effect.

I didn't find a max rpm. Only a max speed which I changed.

Normally speed is a function of voltage. If a bike rides 24 km/h at 24V it wil do 36km/h at 36V provided that enough amps can be delivered. So it could be that the controller doesn't provide enough amps. But you write that you already increased the current limit. Can you measure the speed of the wheel at full throttle when it's of the ground? Just use a cheap bicycle speedometer attached to it and correctly adjusted for wheelsize. That way you can see if the no load speed is indeed 25km/h or higher and the problem is not enough amps with load. If it stays 19km/h without load then it is a setting that needs changing.

OK Update for anyone having a similar problem.
In reply to you questions. Yes unloaded speed measured with an extra speedometer was only 19 km/h.

I replaced the controller by this one http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-33c0
My speed is now 30km/h on throttle only, 34km/h on pedal assist with me adding some 150W.
I do need to install an external speed pick up. (Ordered, now on route)
Because even with the internal speed pick up setting on the display set to the lowest setting the displayed speed is still 2x the real speed.
The display is now a KT-LCD3.

I'm guessing this CMU9 motor just has a high frequency internal speed sensor?

Now my spare bike is operational again I finally have time for the needed maintenance om my regular commuter. Thanks!

Back