Sound system--how much power?

flat tire

100 kW
For those of you who blast tunes while riding how much power is adequate and at what speed? I want to do 45+ while bathed in sound so was thinking around 500 watts with a 6" sub.

While this isn't a 500w system with a sub. It does crank out enough sound while doing 45 to compete with the constant hum of my super soft Vee tires and the sound of air whooshing by my ears. I'm already pulling between 50-120 amps (Qs205) off the battery as it is. I wanted something a bit more standalone with its own power.

After a few different systems, like a Shark 2.1ch system, several 12v mini amps, speaker pods, and borrowing a half dozen different types of Bluetooth speakers from friends and coworkers, I eventually settled on the Blade.
Braven_BRV-Blade_7.jpg
https://braven.com/braven-brv-blade.html

It's waterproof & had the dimensions, aesthetics and performance I wanted. Width wise it's almost perfect for my EEB frame. I have it mounted flat between the moto seat and the steering stem, pointing straight up. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Unless you're behind some kind of fairing you're going to really struggle to get decent sound quality moving that fast in open air.

flat tire said:
For those of you who blast tunes while riding how much power is adequate and at what speed? I want to do 45+ while bathed in sound so was thinking around 500 watts with a 6" sub.

I'm trying to imagine where riding like this might be reasonable. My conclusion is that it might make sense on your own property if that property were quite large, or maybe on some very long open highway that was very lightly traveled. Whatever you build, I hope you turn it down when you are fairly close to others who may not want to be bathed with 500 watts of your favorite song.

We have lots of assholes around here that like to ensure everyone else can feel their sound system, too.

I hope you're not gonna be one of those.

There are a number of things I would like to do to each of them whenever they're in range (often several blocks away, not even visible), but the laws say I can't.

Hehe... Currently using headphones... consuming micro-amps. Can still hear traffic and conversations around me. :wink:

dustNbone said:
I've made a habit of not depending on hearing things for my safety, there's way too many near silent dangers on the road.

I don't depend on sound, but I'm happy to let it help me when it can. I've purchased a set of bluetooth headphones that I will give a try. I'll probably just use one ear.

Instead of working harder, you should work smarter and get a fairing or a speaker either in your helmet or on the top tube directed at your face.
No idea why you are hellbent adding 20kg and 500w to your consumption. The DC-DC converters available for bike friendly sizes and voltages are complete crap and burn themselves even below the rated load. Overriding loud wind with even louder music will just make you hate it all. Complete PITA for everyone including yourself.

dustNbone said:
I've made a habit of not depending on hearing things for my safety, there's way too many near silent dangers on the road.
While that's true, I wouldn't want to miss the not-so-silent dangers (like cars.)

The one that will get you is the one you don't see (or hear.)

^^ Hehe ... "Instead of working harder, you should work smarter"... watt he said. :wink:

Back