Winstonk24

10 mW
Currently have a em3ev kit

52 v 26.6 ah triangle
40amp controller
Cycle anylist v3
Mac 10t
700c hybrid

Cruise speed of 27-30mph at 800-1000w flat ground. Holds 80C battery holds strong voltage. 48v on avg.

I recently spiced the wires where they go into the axle from twisting them from take the wheel on and off to replace inner tubes. I've also put about 5000miles give or take a thousand on the motor with 2000w peaks and 1000w cruise. I ride full throttle and only over heat from excessive full thottle launches. Holds about 80c cruising.

I want to replace the motor. I also want more top speed on the same battery I currently have.

Can this motor handle 8T with my setup for more top speed? Or is there another hub/controller combo that would give me a better top cruising speed with this battery.

An 8T would work ok with your setup, but you couldn't run it full throttle all the time. You'd want a 3 speed switch that goes from 50% - 85% - 100%. 100% would give you a top speed of around 33mph, which is a bit much.

Here is a link to a nearly identical setup on ebikes.ca's motor simulator to prove a point.

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulat...el=700c&hp=0&frame=mountain&throt=87&mass=120

If you have samsung 30Q cells in your pack, you are luck and can drive a 1500-2000w rated motor if you want more speed than a 1000-1100 watt rated motor like the MAC can deliver.

So not worth it to go 8t. I'd burn up real fast even with my 3 position throttle. I'm already going 30mph 75% now.

I do have 30Q cells though 8)
12 FET IRFB3077 (40A) Infineon controller.

Hub and controller recommendations for 1500w continuous? An option with aand without future battery upgrade possibilities.

You're gonna have to step into direct drive motor territory to get there.

Try the leaf 5T out with the link i provided.
It is a good match for the large 700c wheel, which really puts you at a disadvantage for continuous motor power.
Run as thin of tires as you can get away with on that thing for a few % power advantage if you have a mondo sized tire already.

The leaf 5T is about as light as you can get for 1500w continuous ( 16lbs ). The only other hub option is a 30mm wide hub with heatsinks + statorade which would come out at 15lbs anyway, so why not get the 16lb hub and not add the extra cost of the statorade and heatsink..

What link?

The leaf 5T compatible with my 12 FET IRFB3077 (40A) Infineon controller? Should I get a different controller? I would like to keep my cycle anylist v3. Unless the complete leaf kits with a new lcd is my best bet?

What about the QS 205 v1?

IMO, DD motor if you want that speed. Because as you add more watts to an 8t, it will just make it easier to melt it. Your 10t doesn't sustain the speed to melt, at your weight loads. 8 t could, maybe, maybe not. A large heavy DD will handle everything you throw at it in the future.

It will cost you that geared motor coasting, to coast a DD, just barely tickle the throttle, to remove the cogging effect.

dogman dan said:
IMO, DD motor if you want that speed. Because as you add more watts to an 8t, it will just make it easier to melt it. Your 10t doesn't sustain the speed to melt, at your weight loads. 8 t could, maybe, maybe not. A large heavy DD will handle everything you throw at it in the future.

It will cost you that geared motor coasting, to coast a DD, just barely tickle the throttle, to remove the cogging effect.

I believe DD is my best bet then. I sometimes hit 100C on my current setup. More than I would like.

Have any recommendations on a DD hub/controller combo to match my battery?

The leaf kits are reasonably priced but I'd definitely want the better 2-3000w controller they offer for upgradability if I ever upgrade my battery and frame down the road.

I want to be plug and play to my current battery basically. This is my only form of transportation I ride everyday 10-30 miles.

Back