Bafang 850C color LCD, currently working for TSDZ2 motor -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
casainho   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5041
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by casainho » Jan 12 2020 12:10pm

lvx_xvl wrote:
Jan 12 2020 8:40am
My problem is with the 'brown' and 'orange' wires, if you look into the picture of the LCD the left most wire (orange) has got the label "bat_o", which translates to "Battery Out" most likely. That conflicts with the table!!
Great you got your working. I must say I were able to ride today 40 kms MTB with latest firmware of 850C + TSDZ2 and it is great, I am really happy with the result of 4x increased sensitivity and linearization of torque sensor and 4x more resolution on the current control.

So, bat_o and that the table says Vin, but Vin on the TSDZ2 perspective, so yes, the table is correct.
- EBike wireless standard: wireless motor, wireless cycling GPS display Garmin Edge and wireless remote with wireless brake sensor
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless EBike standard ANT+ and Bluetooth, TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

Please consider a donation to help developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

casainho   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5041
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by casainho » Jan 12 2020 12:13pm

_g_ wrote:
Jan 12 2020 6:45am
andrewgateway wrote:
Jan 12 2020 4:14am

Have you flashed the motor with the correct version of the firmware ?
Yes. I started with the latest version of the firmware on motor and 850 screen and the screen correctly reports back the version for it's firmware.
Also tried an older version of the custom firmware on both and the original firmware on the motor (which I tried again with the VLCD5 display).
If there is no advance to the 850C main menu, then there is not correct communication with TSDZ2. Check you have correct firmware versions installed as also the wires, uart tx and rx wires!! There wires may have a problem, on the main connector, etc.
- EBike wireless standard: wireless motor, wireless cycling GPS display Garmin Edge and wireless remote with wireless brake sensor
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless EBike standard ANT+ and Bluetooth, TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

Please consider a donation to help developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

_g_   10 W

10 W
Posts: 80
Joined: Dec 14 2008 1:37pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by _g_ » Jan 12 2020 12:50pm

casainho wrote:
Jan 12 2020 12:13pm
_g_ wrote:
Jan 12 2020 6:45am
andrewgateway wrote:
Jan 12 2020 4:14am

Have you flashed the motor with the correct version of the firmware ?
Yes. I started with the latest version of the firmware on motor and 850 screen and the screen correctly reports back the version for it's firmware.
Also tried an older version of the custom firmware on both and the original firmware on the motor (which I tried again with the VLCD5 display).
If there is no advance to the 850C main menu, then there is not correct communication with TSDZ2. Check you have correct firmware versions installed as also the wires, uart tx and rx wires!! There wires may have a problem, on the main connector, etc.
Thanks - I was definitely using the two latest versions of the firmware.

I suspect the problem is with the motor controller, though why it previously worked with the XH18 display is another matter!
The following is the voltages I measured from each wire coming from the motor controller vs what your github page suggests.
Image
I would guess that the brown wire (TX motor controller) shouldn't be at the battery voltage? Everything else seems to make sense.

lvx_xvl   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 05 2019 3:45am

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by lvx_xvl » Jan 12 2020 12:56pm

Hi Casainho,

Thank you for your fast replay.
With your enthusiastic talk about the software I really can't wait to jump on the bike,...

But on your comment:
casainho wrote:
Jan 12 2020 12:10pm
So, bat_o and that the table says Vin, but Vin on the TSDZ2 perspective, so yes, the table is correct.
I actually am more confused then before :confused: :roll: . The TSDZ2 gets power from the battery, so AUX _BAT, it then passes this voltage to the controller? As reference for battery level? Or to power and boot the LCD?

From my perspective the TSDZ2 Vin is the battery. So Vin would mean power for the PCB of the LCD, and bat_o would mean a reference line to measure battery state? Am I completely of here?

regards,
LVX

micha_ub   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Aug 15 2019 2:53am

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by micha_ub » Jan 13 2020 2:24am

micha_ub wrote:
Dec 28 2019 3:38am
Hello to the developers, compliments for the great development of the software!

One question, where can I activate and set the street mode on the Bafang 850C? I have the latest beta installed and cannot find the menu item.

Thank you!
Hello Casainho, can you tell me, how I can activate the "streetmode" on the Bafang 850C-Display?

Thank you!
Michael

_g_   10 W

10 W
Posts: 80
Joined: Dec 14 2008 1:37pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by _g_ » Jan 18 2020 4:04am

_g_ wrote:
Jan 12 2020 12:50pm
casainho wrote:
Jan 12 2020 12:13pm
_g_ wrote:
Jan 12 2020 6:45am
andrewgateway wrote:
Jan 12 2020 4:14am

Have you flashed the motor with the correct version of the firmware ?
Yes. I started with the latest version of the firmware on motor and 850 screen and the screen correctly reports back the version for it's firmware.
Also tried an older version of the custom firmware on both and the original firmware on the motor (which I tried again with the VLCD5 display).
If there is no advance to the 850C main menu, then there is not correct communication with TSDZ2. Check you have correct firmware versions installed as also the wires, uart tx and rx wires!! There wires may have a problem, on the main connector, etc.
Thanks - I was definitely using the two latest versions of the firmware.

I suspect the problem is with the motor controller, though why it previously worked with the XH18 display is another matter!
The following is the voltages I measured from each wire coming from the motor controller vs what your github page suggests.
Image
I would guess that the brown wire (TX motor controller) shouldn't be at the battery voltage? Everything else seems to make sense.
I got a new TSDZ2, thinking I'll try and fix the one I've got and put on another bike - flash with the same versions and still nothing.
Doing this last night I notice there's another version released; try that and it works first time!

Localhorst666   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 17 2020 6:51am

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by Localhorst666 » Jan 18 2020 2:49pm

micha_ub wrote:
Jan 13 2020 2:24am
micha_ub wrote:
Dec 28 2019 3:38am
Hello to the developers, compliments for the great development of the software!

One question, where can I activate and set the street mode on the Bafang 850C? I have the latest beta installed and cannot find the menu item.

Thank you!
Hello Casainho, can you tell me, how I can activate the "streetmode" on the Bafang 850C-Display?

Thank you!
Michael
Hi Michael,

As far as I know it's not implemented yet. See the line above "Key combinations":

Note that the street mode is not implemented yet.

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-fir ... on-display

BR,
Horst

User avatar
izeman   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5107
Joined: Jun 21 2011 8:25am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by izeman » Jan 19 2020 7:18am

Upgrade should work that way: Display is power off. Then all connected, you press "Update firmware", it shows "waiting", and then you press the POWER button shortly and release again. Then it will start updating instantly. No more waiting. If update doesn't start, then something is wrong.
To be able to update the display needs to be powered by 30V+ and you may have TX/RX swapped. Try changing them and try again. Good luck!

SlowCo   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1654
Joined: Jan 05 2015 5:43pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by SlowCo » Jan 19 2020 4:00pm

Just bought a BBS02B kit with the 850C display. Posting this comment so I can find this thread back more easy. I'll read the thread soon to see if it can be helpfull to me when I have mounted the kit to my bike.

obcd   100 W

100 W
Posts: 159
Joined: Jul 16 2019 3:45pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by obcd » Jan 20 2020 10:12am

The 850C open source firmware is not for the bafang motors but for the tsdz2 motor with open source firmware.

SlowCo   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1654
Joined: Jan 05 2015 5:43pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by SlowCo » Jan 20 2020 2:42pm

Ah, that's a shame. The title of the thread fooled me... :wink:

casainho   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5041
Joined: Feb 14 2011 2:43pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by casainho » Jan 20 2020 2:59pm

SlowCo wrote:
Jan 20 2020 2:42pm
Ah, that's a shame. The title of the thread fooled me... :wink:
Updated the title in the hope to avoid this issue.

This display is original for Bafangs but we are using for TSDZ2, still, our OpenSource firmware can be easily adapted to work for others motors if there are interested developers to do it.
- EBike wireless standard: wireless motor, wireless cycling GPS display Garmin Edge and wireless remote with wireless brake sensor
- TSDZ2 FAQ: issues and repairs, etc
- TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware

Developer of OpenSource knowledge and technology for ebikes: Wireless EBike standard ANT+ and Bluetooth, TSDZ2 OpenSource firmware, KT motor controllers and displays: Bafang 850C color, SW102 Bluetooth and KT-LCD3.

Please consider a donation to help developments: paypal.me/jorgecasa

SlowCo   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1654
Joined: Jan 05 2015 5:43pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD, currently working for TSDZ2 motor -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by SlowCo » Jan 20 2020 3:05pm

:thumb:
Great work.

obcd   100 W

100 W
Posts: 159
Joined: Jul 16 2019 3:45pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD, currently working for TSDZ2 motor -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by obcd » Jan 21 2020 9:23am

Yes, much better.

agphil   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 12
Joined: Jan 17 2020 1:02pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by agphil » Apr 12 2020 2:25pm

@obcd Can you give me a copy of your makefile, I'm having the same issue you had but I cannot figure out how to fixit.
Thanks
obcd wrote:
Oct 24 2019 5:53pm
Adding the needed c files manually to the makefile SOURCES did the trick. It's compiling and linking under windows now.

obcd   100 W

100 W
Posts: 159
Joined: Jul 16 2019 3:45pm

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD, currently working for TSDZ2 motor -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by obcd » Apr 12 2020 3:56pm

This is the makefile I have in the firmware\850c\src folder
Didn't look into the sw102 yet

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2oozvbwn ... efile/file

vitalik.t   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Jun 04 2020 6:03am

Re: Bafang 850C color LCD, currently working for TSDZ2 motor -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

Post by vitalik.t » Jun 09 2020 5:30am

UART communication of BLDC controllers, is there common frame structure and fields (voltage, power, wheel RPM etc.)?
I want to create firmware for ASI BAC controller. Maybe there is ready image for those controller?

Post Reply