Beefing to reduce fork flex

RustyKipper

100 W
South Yorkshire UK the land of flat caps and wippe
Hey guys, My daily commuter suffers from pretty bad fork flex ie. if I waggle the handle bars quickly or hit a pothole I can build up a fair bit of death wobble, although it doesn't continue it doesn't inspire confidence and makes the bike feel like a blancmange!

I think this is mainly due to the fact that I have to use stupidly thick and heavy inner tubes (3mm thick rubber) to cope with the broken glass and shrapnel covered roads where I work, this builds up huge gyroscopic forces plus I have quite heavy aluminium hand formed mudguards and a handlebar bag containing my waterproofs so a lot of weight hanging of the steering.

So I figured I might have a go at engineering a solution, the flex appears to be centered around the bridge at the bottom of the steerer tube so I figure a good step would be to effectively carry the stanchion tubes right up the the handlebars, not so easy as there are controls on top of the stanchions so I would have to fabricate some sort of joint. So I ordered up some 30mm thin wall stainless tubing to make the tube extensions, and some alumininium tubing and spent a few evenings in the machine shop.

View attachment 2
View attachment 1
assembled small.JPG

Most of the time was spent machining weight out of the parts.

The parts were then painted and fitted to the bike with heavy duty stainless hose clamps.

The flex was reduced by a good degree but can still get the front wheel to oscillate.
In an ideal world I would swap the standard MTB type forks (Rockshox silver) to a triple clamp set but they are around $1000 plus when the rear mounted hub motor fails I want to go awd and fit a mini hub motor in the front to help with weight balance and triple clamp forks with drop outs seem to be rarer than hens teeth.

The fork extensions seem to be reasonably successful, the forks rarely bottom out unless I land really heavily from jumping of a kerb or speed bump, steering angle is quite reduced but is only an issue when negotiating cycle lane barriers where I have to turn the bars nearly 90 degrees and have added about 1.4Kg of weight.

I'm currently looking at a mark 2 version with the joint between the lower stanchion tubes and the upper tubes from carbon fiber to reduce weight and increase the steering angle and do away with the hose clamps that have some rather sharp edges that will cause a fair bit of bleeding when I come off in the mud.

It has to be said I'm quite pleased with how this setup looks.

I'm hooked by seeing just the end of the handlebar. Show the full bike.

Interesting attempt..

I think most of your problems are..
1) the bike is a lot heavier than stock.
2) You have wimpy stanchion tubes on that fork.. they're what.. 28mm?

Maybe you don't really need a triple crown.. just a fork with 32mm or wider tubes will be stiffer..
Any play in the axle itself?

Wider handle bars would give you more stability and control.

Tommm said:

Here she is at 18,000 miles

muddy small.JPG

Yes the bike is way heavier, its something like 30Kg, the stanchion tubes are 30mm but probably quite thin, my winter ice bike has the same diameter tubes (cheapo forks) and heavy rubber inner tube but with spike tyres and has a lot less flex, I think maybe this model of Rockshox is probably built for light weight, you have an excellent point about using forks with 32mm tubes.

No there is no play in the axle, if I put the bike upside down and stand on the hand grips I can twist the wheel by maybe 10 degrees in each direction and its not the wheel flexing, I think its a mixture of the bridge and stanchions flexing and the steerer tube twisting.

Nice job I Had a similar problem bike is used for trip to work and the country Green lanes in the summer winter time see's the Montesa trials come out for that. Any how back to the forks the bike was running is standard forks and they are fine till you ad the battery and motor then my fat ass I looked for some triple clamps and found a set of 2nd hand shock works forks for £60 off the bay of Evil now they don't look like downhill forks and I don't jump my bike 4-5 feet airborne but they did the trick bike is stable at its 42-43 mph max and has hit 61mph down hill and they take the bumps well. Its just the back end of the bike could do with a bit of up and down movement now as well so I'm looking for a full suspension frame that will fit my triangular battery

Attachments

• IMAG0000.jpg
    IMAG0000.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,084
IMG_20181107_142901.jpg

RustyKipper said:
Tommm said:

Here she is at 18,000 miles

Nice to see a dirty bike. Well used.

I'd say the sus fork has thrown out the trail and rake geometry. Hard to tell from a photo but it looks like you trail is zero, but that's without you on it of course. Front loading will aggravate handling without some rake, and you've only got about 15mm offset on the dropout, that's it.
Was the frame suspension corrected for that much cush?

And yeah, wider bars helps with fighting it.

Nice bike.

The forks do definitely have a shorter rake than my other more solid bike but I think maybe as the forks were cheap and heavy they are just made of thicker steel. My commuter is quite stable on road right up to 46MPH (downhill and screaming like a girl!)

Wider handlebars are unfortunately not an option, the roads here in the UK are just not wide enough, the first 4 miles of my commute is a fast downhill section of freeway, I'm doing a good 30mph with cars and trucks brushing my arm when I'm maybe a foot from the kerb and the sight of flowers tied to every second lamp post kind of hints to how dangerous it is, cycle clips are required to keep stuff in! :shock: I did try a pair of Nukeproof wide handlebars but after hitting my arm on a lamp post and then getting stuck trying to get through a gate and finding it impossible to extract by bike from the company cycle rack I ended up cutting a good 6 inches off. Most people round this way use racing type drop handlebars.

nb. Yes its bad practice riding a foot from the kerb but if you aggravate the divers in rush hour traffic they WILL force you off the road and injure you, my boss is a case in point.

I think I will definitely look for forks with thicker stanchions.

Some of the Fox (possibly Rock Shox) ones are 34, 36 mm and not too pricey if you get them on sale from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK.

Back