How to get top speed limit to work?

DuncanDK

1 mW
Hi

I can't get the top speed limit function to work on my BMSB setup.
I actually want to activate the speed limit at which the motor cuts out, 25 km/h.

Is someone able assist me in getting this to work?

My setup is:
a Q100 motor
a S06S 250W torque simulation sine wave controller
a S-LCD3 LCD and a S-LCD3 display

Extra info:
In the display, it is posisble to set max speed and wheel size.
I set the spee dlimit to 25 KM/h, but the motor doesn't cut out
I do not use an external speed sensor.
Instead I use the internal motor speed sensor, which seems to meassure the speed correct.

This an issue on all S-LCDs AFAIK
or maybe it's a Controler firmware issue, no idea.

I did find something that worked though.
You can change the P3 parameter from 1 to 0.
This will give you 5 Speed assist modes instead of 5 torque assist modes.
You can then change the C3 Parameter to 2 or 3, so every time you turn on your bike it will be at the assist ratio closer to the 25kph limit.

It's far from perfect but I never bothered investigating further since I bought this for my little brother and he was happy enough with it.

Thank you for the input on parameter P3. I shall test it myself a bit later on.

Today, I managed to answer my own question through some trial and error.
In the thread below I explain how parameter P1 works when P3 = 1 (Set to torque mode)

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97237

Regarding parameter C3 when using torque mode (P3 = 0)

Parameter C3 has these values/effects:
0 = Start up on power assist mode 0
1 = Start up on power assist mode 1
2 = Start up on power assist mode 2
3 = Start up on power assist mode 3
4 = Start up on power assist mode 4
5 = Start up on power assist mode 5
6 = Start up with power on walk mode... the bike goes at a speed of aprox 6 km/h... super annoying
7 = Start up and at ant down click activate walk mode at a speed of aprox 6 km/h... also super annoying
8 = Start up on whatever power assist mode that was chosen when the system was shut down... my preference!

According to this, the P1 value will change the speed of the Motor that the Controller sees. I thought that the Controller would go after the speed from the sensor but it doesn't.

I will have to try this tomorrow.

That is correct.

The cotrolller percieves the speed of the wheel as one thing.
And it bases the S-LCD-speed on other things.
The system sees these two speeds, as two seperate things.
This was tested while having P3=1 (1 = torque mode.... 0 = speed mode)
Be aware that you seem to have chosen P3= 0....( speed mode)
Readjust that and/or test it with speed mode, having P3=0

Choose this approach;
Start by adjusting the S-LCD's perception of speed as correctly/close as possible to the real speed that you ride with.
I suggest using a third-party GPS tracker to monitor the real speed... (that's an app on your smart phone) You do this by adjisting the wheel size on the LCD diplay up or down... It won't be accuara, but close enough.

Then align the controller's perception of wheel speed, using the parameter P1.
Adjust it up or down to match your chosen max speed setting. (set it no higher than 25 km/h during setup)
Again, use your smart phone GPS tracker app. It'll work fine. You will be able to get this adjustment to be SUPER accurate if you use a smart phose GPS tracker to check you actual speed.

Be aware, that you too may have to change wheel size to get the S-LCD to work show a correct speed to begin with.... Just start out with your actual wheel size and if needed adjust up or down (It's my perception that it is a common thing because there are many different versions of both motors and LCD's) That's fine.... the parameter P1 allows your to re-adjust the perception of the actual wheel speed afterwards.

It is the same approach as I mention in the the thread

Dear eee291

Did you manage to get your top limit/taper off to work on your LCD with the info in the thread?
:?:

Back