Kuteng controller with torque simulation -> different output current depending on controller type ?

HolgiB

10 W
Hi there,

for me this is a bit hard to explain but it has kept thinking me for quite some time.
So I decided to ask the controller gurus here at ES.

There you go:
I run a pretty standard setup using a MAC hub motor in the rear plus Kuteng KT36 controller with 20 Amps peak and LCD3.
I am running a 10s5p battery made from Samsung 18650 if that matters. In order to comply with local laws I use a PAS sensor and my controller cuts power roughly above 26 km/h (25 km/h is legal speed limit here).

So here is my observation / question:
When using a PAS plus torque simulation the controller somewhat multiplies the number of signals of the PAS per time (your pedaling speed) by a factor which also includes the chosen support level.

Somewhat like:
Slow pedal speed = low power output of the controller
Fast pedal speed = high power output of the controller

This is pretty what I can observe with the KT36 controller a friend of my has. When riding higher speeds with maximum pedal speeds this controller peaks out at maximum power (something like 650 watts in his case).

Ok, for my controller this is a bit different. Mathematically speaking my controller should do like 800 watts peak (42 Volts by 20 Amps peak). And I would expect my controller to peak out power wise when I have maximum cadence / pedal speed. Somehow my 20 amps KT36 seems to be completely different.

When going rather slowly uphill I see power peaks up to 650 watts in a speed range around 10-15 km/h. Then the power level flattens somewhat the more I reach my max speed around 26-27 km/h.
At those speed levels I rather only up to 270 watts even if I choose level 5 via LCD3. In the first place one could say that my slow MAC is causing something like that but previously I had
a rather fast NC RH205 with did up to 45 km/h and even this motor show a peak power at slower speeds with a flattening power level at higher speeds.

Having a power peak when more slowly going up a steep trail does not exactly hurt for a mountain bike but it would be sometimes nice to have more support at higher speed levels.

If it is of interest: I bought my controller over at aliexpress:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/36V-48V-500W-Brushless-DC-Square-Wave-Controller-ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Hub-Motor-Controller-with-right/32648717333.html

Should I get another KT controller ? Is mine somewhat broken ? I would happily buy another controller matching my LCD display if this solves the rather strange issue. :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance,
Holger

Back