Cycleanalyst Wiring troubleshoot

ymd

100 mW
I accidentally yanked some wires out of the Cycle Analyst. I opened it and soldered to reconnect 2 wires (yellow and red) that were broken. When I opened the cycle analyst I also broke the 3 wire connector that goes to the LCD panel. I could glue it back.

Now, when I put everything back together, I am finding that the motor is not responding to either the pedaling or throttle. I see an inverted "L" blinking below the battery symbol on the CA. When I turn the throttle on, the screen changes to "AUX ADJUST" and PAS level changes with the amount I rotate the throttle.

I am not sure if some connections inside the Cycle Analyst are wrong or if I have not connected the external connectors correctly.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot?

The first question I have is: Did it work correctly before the wiring problems?

If so, what was the reason for changing things? (important to know for helping figure out how to change it the way you wanted to, rather than what has happened so far--if it was accidental, or intentional to remove extra wires, etc.).

If it did not work before the wiring problems, exactly how is the behavior different now, from before?

ymd said:
I see an inverted "L" blinking below the battery symbol on the CA.
AFAIK, that means the throttle voltage is outside the limits the CA has been set to allow. Almost certainly a wiring problem.

When I turn the throttle on, the screen changes to "AUX ADJUST" and PAS level changes with the amount I rotate the throttle.
That probably means the throttle has been connected to the aux input instead of the throttle.

I would recommend first disconnecting the wires you reattached to the CA, as it sounds like they are not correctly placed.

Then use a multimeter with continuity or ohms function to trace each wire from each connector to the actual wires inside the CA, and mark down the results you get on a paper, to show you which color wire, of each cable is connected to each pin of each cable.

Then you can use the info on the CA page on http://ebikes.ca to see which connector pin is for which function, then match the wire end/color you find is attached to that, by your drawing from the testing above, and use that wire to connect to the appropriate solder pad inside the CA.

Then verify that you are connecting only the plugs you need for the stuff you are doing with it, to the rest of the bike's system (throttle, etc.), and that the wiring of the plugs it connects to is correct (based on the pinouts of the http://ebikes.ca connector diagram used above for troubleshooting).

Then you can go thru the settings in the CA based on either the videos Grin Tech has on Youtube (linked from the CA pages) or the Unoffical User Guide (also linked from the CA pages), and ensure that each setting is correctly set for your usage scenario. There's a lot of settings, and many interact with each ohter. If you don't go thru the whole setup, from beginning to end, it may not behave the way you expect or want it to.

Once you are certain that:
--each wire is back where it should be
--that the wires have continuity from the pad on the PCB to the pin in the connector housing
--that none of them are shorted to each other
--that each of the plugs from the CA are connected only to the correct plug on the rest of the bike's system
--that each of the CA's settings are correct for your usage
Then if it still doesn't work there could be electrical damage to the CA itself, and you may have to send it in to Grin Tech for repair.

Thank you very much for the detailed troubleshooting steps you provided.

I had also written to Justin of Grin Technologies about this problem. He suggested looking if I have connected throttle to the white Aux plug rather than the black Throttle plug. Indeed, that was what I had done. By simply swapping the connections, all is good now.

The reason I had to work on the wiring is, some wires on the CA had got yanked out accidentally when I was working on my bike. I simply soldered the broken wires together and glued back the connector. Looks like I did that correctly. Only when I plugged back the external connectors, I did it wrongly.

I am glad the solution was as simple as swapping the connectors. However, without knowing where the problem is, I was afraid I could do more damage. I will save your troubleshooting steps for future reference. Thank you very much for taking the time to list all the steps for me.

Back