VESC cannot run Hub Motor

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
bilkenter   10 µW

10 µW

VESC cannot run Hub Motor

Post by bilkenter » Jan 07 2019 3:50am

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build a system which has 500 watt Shengyi hub motor, VESC 4.1.2 and battery pack 36 volt 16 ah. I configure it on VESC software app but my hub motor barely turns. I recorded with video which shows my configuration and reaction of motor. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAy5zwePG4k

Your comments are really important to me. If you have any further questions related with system, I am happy to answer it.

Best

Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Re: VESC cannot run Hub Motor

Post by Samd » Jan 07 2019 3:53am

Its possible I am sure. I can’t see the video. Are you using foc or square?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

bilkenter   10 µW

10 µW

Post by bilkenter » Jan 07 2019 3:55am

I am using in BLDC mode(square).

Why you couldn't see the video? The link is not working?

Thanks

Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by Samd » Jan 07 2019 4:00am

Had to connect to wifi. Video is working but can’t watch it loud due to family asleep

http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 07 2019 2:50pm

Motor is running backwards; it's a geared hub so the motor inside is running fast, and only the slight friction against the clutch is letting it slightly push the casing and wheel.

If you put your hand on the tire, you'll find the wheel doesn't even try to move, but you'll still hear the motor run.

You need to set it up so it runs forwards instead. If you can't do it in the software, simply switch any two of the phase wires, if it is sensorless. If it is sensored, you switch the two phase wires, then swap hall sensor wires around until it runs forwards at low current unloaded.

bilkenter   10 µW

10 µW

Post by bilkenter » Jan 08 2019 12:27pm

amberwolf wrote:Motor is running backwards; it's a geared hub so the motor inside is running fast, and only the slight friction against the clutch is letting it slightly push the casing and wheel.

If you put your hand on the tire, you'll find the wheel doesn't even try to move, but you'll still hear the motor run.

You need to set it up so it runs forwards instead. If you can't do it in the software, simply switch any two of the phase wires, if it is sensorless. If it is sensored, you switch the two phase wires, then swap hall sensor wires around until it runs forwards at low current unloaded.
Thank you for your suggestions. I am bit busy for these days. I will tell the results when I tried.