Mods to protect VESC 4.12 form voltage spikes

kolin

1 µW
Hello,
VESC 4.12 are notorious for failed DRV8302. I think I have read all the Web and have not found definitive answer.

I am building my first ebike. Magic Pie3 motor and Maytech VESC 4.12. I haven't blown it yet. But I am testing it on old 8S Li-Po. It works but I need higher voltage. 12S or even more.

There is one known cause do kill it: When bulk capacitors on separate board fall off. I plan to make my own board with bigger capacitors, precharge circuit and braking chopper circuit. With braking resistor, constant long term over voltage shouldn't be a problem. I plan to electrically brake a lot.

But I worry about short term spikes, coming from ringing on power components and wires between cap bank and VESC itself. I have seen mods to replace diodes, capacitors and adding TVS diodes. Has someone any experience with this?

I am also thinking of creating separate 5V power supply capable of lets say 100V of input voltage and feeding DRV with lower voltage. I haven't found abs max common mode voltage for high side switches but assume it can be little higher than DRV's internal buck converter.

Debugging with oscilloscope is little difficult on ebike and artificially slowing down such a big motor is a problem. I don't mind cutting traces and soldering on VESC.

Are there some known methods how avoid blowing it?
Recommended mods?
Recommended software settings?
Links to other threads?
Link to good app notes explaining this?
Thanks

Back