How Many Amps 2 Pole Speakon Socket handle?

mybike

100 W
Anyone know how many amps can a Neutrik 2 Pole Speakon Connector Chassis Socket (D Type) handle for battery charging?

Voltron said:
No hard numbers, but prob enough for bike charging. Some of the Speakons are actually four wires inside, so worth checking.

I got the 2 pole connections, I have 5amp charger but I might be upgrading my charger to a higher amp so I what to know if at least if the 2 pole spekon can handle 10amps comfortably?

This is the connection I looking to install on my enduro frame for charging.

Thank you for all the info, going with all the info I am going to ask ddk on his thread to get more accurate info, as I have doubts the 2 pole can handle 30A :shock:

If anyone has more info please post it as I don’t want to set my bike on fire, by the way I am running lipos :roll:

Last I saw ddk used lipos too. Maybe you can use 4-pole like he uses but 2 for positive & 2 for negative.

mark5 said:
Last I saw ddk used lipos too. Maybe you can use 4-pole like he uses but 2 for positive & 2 for negative.

I did look at using the 4 pole but I want to settle for the 2 pole, much more simple and less wire joins but if the 2 pole cannot handle 10A comfortably cont….. then only then the 4 pole will be an option.

Right now I am sorting all the my wires out in my enduro frame as it’s a mess in the frame (to many long wires and to many wires :shock: ), slowly getting there. I want to settle on less wires, connections ect.

I’ve been using the 2 pole pumping 30+ amps into it and while it gets hot.....it’s not so hot that I can’t touch it.

I’m going to switch to the 4 pole to lower the amp per connection.

Tom

You can find data sheets for these.

Speakon was designed as a connector for people who were abusing the shit out of XLRs in pro sound applications where cables and connectors go through hell and are expected to perform trouble free. They are good stuff.

I have read the specs a while ago and seem to recall current limits over 10 amp. My guess is 5 amps will be just fine but check the data sheet.

mybike said:
Thank you for all the info, going with all the info I am going to ask ddk on his thread to get more accurate info, as I have doubts the 2 pole can handle 30A :shock: ...
Note the specified 3mOhm contact resistance. At 30 amps that 2.7 watt dissipation per contact, or 5.4 watts per 2 pole connector. No wonder it gets hot!

Back