I need a new bottom bracket...HALP

I tried to make the title as explanatory as possible...

So I realized when pedaling that the crankarms actually wobble slightly and it's not from being loose in the square taper crankset...

I recently hacked off two chainrings for weight reduction and badass points so my current chainrings and crankset looks like so:
30371867428_9ec1c4b50d_b.jpg

So I'm thinking the original 2002 bearing or aka bottom bracket needs replaced...so Id like to get what I need to replace it... But I'm on a little snag. How the heck does the crankset actually come off? Like the part that has the chainrings attached to it? They're not attached to the actual crankarm so what is it attached to? I'm concerned I won't be able to buy a standard bottom bracket because there's something special about the press fit chainrings....

I'm pulling off the rear hub motor for a week or longer and I'm swapping it out for a real bike tire on the rear for some needed upgrades so I'm hoping I can ride smoothly with a new bb...

I also need new pedals..ugh look at that one...the road took a bite outta mine...

Basic bike stuff.

Here ya go.. second hit on a youtube search:
[youtube]cPQyQnNdews[/youtube]

for taking the bb off, it's just a matter of using the correct tool. I don't know what kind of bb you have, but a visit to a bike shop will reveal all.

[youtube]yBnYoYVTnlo[/youtube]

Yea I know its basic bike 101... I don't need help removing the bottom bracket...I need help removing the actual attached crankset with chainrings from the bb... They're press fit and I don't think they're square taper...I dunno..I'll have to take a look myself. I've got the crank puller tool just not the splined bb remover took which I'm ordering.

Take the gray piece of plastic off the end of the crank.. i doubt you have some kind of magic proprietary crank here :D

First figure out what you've got. If it's Shimano or another name brand, you can probably find instruction sheets.

With YouTube these days, you might be able to find video of someone doing exactly what you want to do.

Oh yea.... Gonna order the tool today to remove it and see what I've got. It's definitely shot. I can move the pedals back and forth inside the housing so they basically wobble back and forth as I pedal. Lol. No wonder why pedaling felt like the pedals were crooked....

I checked the trek 800 sport technical manual and it looks like it's a semi-cartridge 68x124.5mm square bottom bracket. Going to order one today!

Back