LEAFBIKE dead after 24 hrs HELP!

mickk

100 W
I built the Leafbike yesterday, worked fine, this morning dead.
Any ideas folks? battery is charged, checked all wiring, but the LCD003 is dead, wont turn on.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95938&p=1443062#p1443062

Hmm I can get a 1.5v battery to read 1.5 volts on my meter, the bike battery best I can do is under DC 200m, it reads .6, cant get anythng at all to come up under any other setting. Is this a dead battery? POF is about 11/10 atm grr.

Sounds like a battery problem. Check the output of the battery itself with a multimeter, it might have a fuse built into it that blew, or for some reason the BMS could have shut down the output.

Forget it, bloke next door checked with his meter too, dead as a door nail.
I blame the sender, who sent the bloody thing in a plastic bag, no packing at all, not even bubble wrap.
I told him at the time that he was a fool for doing so.
:roll:
posted when you posted the msg above, thanks anyway.

No voltage on the battery output usually indicates the BMS has shutdown output to protect the pack from damage from overdischarge. If your wattmeter doesn't indicate you used the full capacity of the pack yet, then that usually means the pack is not well-balanced, or has problematic cells (often itself a cause of imbalance).

If that's the case, plugging it into the charger and letting it cahrge at least overnight, should at least let it re-enable the output, and at least partly rebalance the pack.

It can also be a broken wire inside the battery pack, if you are measuring no output rigth at the pack terminals.

Could be a blown fuse.

It can also be a failed BMS.

I would recommend looking around at the many battery troubleshooting threads, for the lists of things to test, or contact the battery seller for warranty repair.

Thanks mate, I am sending it back for a replacement.
Charger shuts off, so I cant leave it on overnight.
He doesnt want me opening the case to check for a blown fuse.
Only thing of note is that its a 48v 17ah battery and the LCD display yesterday indicated it was running at 52v.
I am willing to give him another go as he is in Vic.

If the charger shuts off, completely, then something is wrong with that, and so it isn't charging the battery up, so the battery probably just ran out of juice from not being charged.

mickk said:
Thanks mate, I am sending it back for a replacement.
Charger shuts off, so I cant leave it on overnight.
He doesnt want me opening the case to check for a blown fuse.
Only thing of note is that its a 48v 17ah battery and the LCD display yesterday indicated it was running at 52v.
I am willing to give him another go as he is in Vic.

If you're talking about the voltage display, a charged 48V battery will be about 54V. So unless you're talking about some hidden information it's a 48V battery, not a 52V one (charged voltage of about 58V).

Yes it seems like the charger shuts off but then the BMS starts working draining down the high cell and the charger at that point will turn back on and fill up the other low cells and onward and onward to the battery is balanced it takes a very long time 24 hours or ?

Thanks for the input. When I got this battery, it was loose in an Austpost satchell, not even bubble wrap so I KNEW it would be trouble. When I moved the battery, the guts was loose in the case. The replacement has arrived, this time it was packed correctly and is not loose in the case. I suspect a wire was crimped. We will see what the seller says if he chooses to respond.
Just why it worked one day and not the next, is a mystery. I suspect the BMS shut it down because of a damaged wire.
It didnt work so then I recharged it and still wouldnt work. Left the charger on all day, it didnt kick back in.
Contacted leafbike before I sent the battery back to make sure it was not the controller or faulty LCD
All good with this battery, as in its alive again.

I want to buy another one for extra range from this bloke but am now a bit shy, but I am thinking about getting one of the component kits, from the bloke that sells the click together battery housings and give it all to the bloke at Jaycar to build. He did my wires and plugs and I was very happy with his service. He soldered a couple of wires together, put the Anderson plugs on, supplied a couple of parts and it was only $25 for him to do that.

amberwolf said:
No voltage on the battery output usually indicates the BMS has shutdown output to protect the pack from damage from overdischarge. If your wattmeter doesn't indicate you used the full capacity of the pack yet, then that usually means the pack is not well-balanced, or has problematic cells (often itself a cause of imbalance).

If that's the case, plugging it into the charger and letting it cahrge at least overnight, should at least let it re-enable the output, and at least partly rebalance the pack.

It can also be a broken wire inside the battery pack, if you are measuring no output rigth at the pack terminals.

Could be a blown fuse.

It can also be a failed BMS.

I would recommend looking around at the many battery troubleshooting threads, for the lists of things to test, or contact the battery seller for warranty repair.

I think your damaged wire theory is correct, we will see.

Back