Magura throttle set up

Hi guys! I'm building my first e bike right now and I think I've got it figured out except I can't get my Magura throttle to work right with the stock controller. The bike has a mini cyclone kit on it. You gotta twist the throttle a decent amount before the motor actually kicks in, and it pulls till almost the end of the throttle where the bike stops accelerating and just cuts out completely when you hit the stopper at the end. I'd say only 30-85% of the throttle's range is being used. I looked through some of the other forms on this page and it seems like it happens because the magura throttle outputs 0-5v and the motor controller reads only 1.1-4.4v? I tried adding a 2k pot to eliminate the deadzone but I'm really not sure how to wire it up with the throttle and the controller, I'm basically brand new at this stuff and I really suck :( . Can someone point me in the right direction? Do I need a potentiometer for the deadzone at the beginning and another one for the deadzone at the end? Also I'm really sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I'm also completely new to this page and have no idea what I'm doing.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98595#p1443878
has values that worked for him for resistors at top and bottom of throttle

Thanks! Where would I wire up the resistors or the turnpots though? There are three wires on the throttle so I'm assuming I wire them in line with both the positive and the negative wires?

I'd recommend just getting the resistor values that worked for him in that thread, rather than the pots; simpler to wire up and smaller. But if you want to be able to experiment, get the pots he used. If you use pots, and they have three wires, you need to connect the center wire to one of the end wires.

The center wire, the throttle signal wire, goes directly to the controller as normal.

The power "5v" wire goes to one end of one resistor, and the other end of that resistor goes to the 5v power source from the controller.

The ground wire goes to one end of the other resistor, and the other end of that resistor goes to the ground from the controller.

Which resistor goes in which place you'd have to either experiment with, but most likley the smaller one goes at the ground side, and the bigger at the 5v side.

I had the same issue as a yourself but with the domino throttle. I used a 10k trimpot, the little knob type to easily adjust. I did find wiring diagrams that used the grounds. I choose to just use the trimpot inline with the throttle input voltage to reduce it. Think it’s the outer two pins and ground is in the middle, but not used. Just do a test with a low voltage battery and test meeter to understand what you are doing. Can also be used as a power/throttle limiter when the newbies or children ride.

Skaiwerd said:
I had the same issue as a yourself but with the domino throttle. I used a 10k trimpot, the little knob type to easily adjust. I did find wiring diagrams that used the grounds. I choose to just use the trimpot inline with the throttle input voltage to reduce it. Think it’s the outer two pins and ground is in the middle, but not used. Just do a test with a low voltage battery and test meeter to understand what you are doing. Can also be used as a power/throttle limiter when the newbies or children ride.

So I'm guessing I would wire in a trimpot to both non ground wires if I choose to go that route? Haha, that would be useful, my mom wanted to ride, but the bike right now does wheelies wayyy too easily.

Using a pot in "series" with the throttle signal wire does reduce the throttle voltage, and can be used to kind of offset it one way or the other depending on how you wire things, but it doesn't really fix the "offset" or "scaling" issue like the resistors at the ends will. :)

amberwolf said:
Using a pot in "series" with the throttle signal wire does reduce the throttle voltage, and can be used to kind of offset it one way or the other depending on how you wire things, but it doesn't really fix the "offset" or "scaling" issue like the resistors at the ends will. :)

I'll probably try both and see which one works better, luckily I have a couple of pots and resistors laying around.

Back