EBike Tire Speed Rating

I wore through the stock tires on my e bike really fast and I need to replace them now after only 200 miles unfortunately. :cry: They were crap though, so I don't mind too much. :wink: I was looking at a pair of Kenda Kwick Nine's for my bike and I noticed it was speed rated for e bikes up to 25 kph or roughly 15.5 mph. This is kind of concerning because my bike can do more than double that speed. These aren't specifically e-bike tires so they can be used on a normal bike. They can't seriously expect you to not go over 15 mph on even a normal bicycle? Does anyone know what the speed rating actually means? Would it be safe to put on my bike? My bike can do 37 mph or 60 kph, so it's really not that much faster than a normal bicycle.

I've actually never seen a speed rating on a bike tire before, even on other Kendas I've had (and I don't really like Kenda; too many sidewall problems over the decades--I'd rather use CST; Cheng Shin Tire).

There are a number of good threads about tires; I'd recommend poking thru those. Not everything in the search below is relevant, but the titles will probably help sort thru them:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Tire*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There are also threads about flat prevention, etc., some of which are in the above list, many of which would require other searches (flat*, punctur*, prevent*, etc).

(Almost anything ebike-related, and a lot not, that you can think of has probably already been discussed here on ES, if you poke around enough. ;) )

amberwolf said:
I've actually never seen a speed rating on a bike tire before, even on other Kendas I've had (and I don't really like Kenda; too many sidewall problems over the decades--I'd rather use CST; Cheng Shin Tire).

There are a number of good threads about tires; I'd recommend poking thru those. Not everything in the search below is relevant, but the titles will probably help sort thru them:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Tire*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There are also threads about flat prevention, etc., some of which are in the above list, many of which would require other searches (flat*, punctur*, prevent*, etc).

(Almost anything ebike-related, and a lot not, that you can think of has probably already been discussed here on ES, if you poke around enough. ;) )

Thanks! I actually couldn't find any threads about the speed ratings on "e bike supportable" tires for some reason though, maybe I just suck at looking stuff up. If there's already a thread about this that someone can point me to though that would be great!

As I noted, I've never seen speed ratings before; I haven't seen any discussion about them.

However, a search turns up these posts with the phrase in them:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=tire+%22speed+rating%22&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
and at least one I glanced at at least mentions tire speed ratings. So others might, too. (but most of it is probably moped and mtoorcycle stuff, cuz those *do* generally have speed ratings)

As far as "ebike" tires go...it's marketing...tires are tires. If they're rated for the pressure and uses to which you will put them, it doesn't matter if it's an ebike or not.

30 mph won't be a problem for any bicycle tire in good condition. Use the highest recommended pressure if you want to go fast. Tires deform less and handle speed better with more pressure.

Check out all the different schwalbe tyres, they actually have speed and weight ratings for theirs, max out at 50km/h which is something in miles

I'm convinced 'ebike rated' is just marketing until further notice.

25km/h or 15.5 is what regular bike tires are designed to do on average.
40kmh or what.. 25mph? is what regular bike tires can handle all day long as well..

So many people here have builds that go much faster than that on bike tires with no 'ebike rating'.. no problems..

neptronix said:
I'm convinced 'ebike rated' is just marketing until further notice.

25km/h or 15.5 is what regular bike tires are designed to do on average.
40kmh or what.. 25mph? is what regular bike tires can handle all day long as well..

So many people here have builds that go much faster than that on bike tires with no 'ebike rating'.. no problems..

dot/ speed rated tires are often required by law on motor vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds, and yes even production ebikes speed pedelec, etc ..
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57668&p=1417745#p1417744

Yeah but DOT approval actually means something. :mrgreen:

neptronix said:
Yeah but DOT approval actually means something. :mrgreen:

don't think they give out those speed rating certifications without testing to show production meets those standards, whatever they may be.. ebikes are generally heavier with higher average and sustained speeds than an hpv pedal bike, so it only makes sense to also increase the tire capabilities to match intended use and for legal production and sales of those vehicle types..

I did some more research actually and I may have answered my own question, it looks like the e bike tires that are rated at 25 kph just have higher standards than normal bicycle tires making them "e bike rated". The 50 kph tires just have to be more durable. I found this article: https://e-bikerumor.com/2018/02/05/why-are-e-bike-tires-different-from-regular-bicycle-tires/ It doesn't seem like the speed rating really means anything.

I don't know about other legislatures but in Europe anything that surpasses the pedelec limit is a motored vehicle. And these need correctly rated and released tires.

That's why we have an Ebike 45kph rating. These are the so called S-Pedelecs, which are rather easy to buy, register and insure.

BTW: is to insure what you do at an insurance? Sounds weird…

I read that article and also some EU / United Nations document about tires.

I'm left puzzled on how these are better than regular bike tires because not much information is solid other than that the load index increases, and the speed gets an actual rating.

I suspect if you gave regular bike tires a speed rating, they'd test out pretty high.

They are better in a very special secret way only Europeans understand.

Of course not. Riding a 40kph ebike with a "normal" tire is just illegal. Which means if you actually crash or "are crashed" you will be hard pressed to find an insurance that pays. They will argue you did it intentionally. You moved an illegal vehicle.

You know. Laws…

Ugh! Tires,.... AGAIN! For something so relied upon, I DO wish folks TRULY understood the technology and industry of tires!!!

"EBike Tire Speed Rating",... the common term that defines an "e-bike tire" as unique. Yet it has NOTHING in common with the speed ratings of motor vehicle tires,... but seems to be related as such by the consumer, who has little or no knowledge of anything otherwise, and is in general, "emotionally guided and directed" by industry manufacturers and dealers, where laws and regulations do not exist to provide a truly safer product that consumers can rely on. VERY FEW, of the many factors concerning motor vehicle speed ratings, can even be considered closely related. Add the confusion that many bicycles can and do exceed the speeds of e-bikes WITHOUT speed rated tires, and that many use typical bicycle tires on e-bikes at more than TWICE the speed ratings of "e-bike tires" with no great concerns, failures, or serious problems.

Simply explained,... "Speed-rated" e-bike tires are constructed and designed to have less critical flex of tire carcass at the most vulnerable points of tire construction, relative to typical load, proper inflation, and "flexes per minute" (rpms), to best maintain overall integrity of tire AND, the related interaction of inner-tubes when utilized. That most critical juncture is that between the heaviest tread overlay and the sidewall carcass, and typically corresponds to a point of the tread shoulder taper to the sidewall.

DRMousseau said:
Ugh! Tires,.... AGAIN! For something so relied upon, I DO wish folks TRULY understood the technology and industry of tires!!!

"EBike Tire Speed Rating",... the common term that defines an "e-bike tire" as unique. Yet it has NOTHING in common with the speed ratings of motor vehicle tires,... but seems to be related as such by the consumer, who has little or no knowledge of anything otherwise, and is in general, "emotionally guided and directed" by industry manufacturers and dealers, where laws and regulations do not exist to provide a truly safer product that consumers can rely on. VERY FEW, of the many factors concerning motor vehicle speed ratings, can even be considered closely related. Add the confusion that many bicycles can and do exceed the speeds of e-bikes WITHOUT speed rated tires, and that many use typical bicycle tires on e-bikes at more than TWICE the speed ratings of "e-bike tires" with no great concerns, failures, or serious problems.

Simply explained,... "Speed-rated" e-bike tires are constructed and designed to have less critical flex of tire carcass at the most vulnerable points of tire construction, relative to typical load, proper inflation, and "flexes per minute" (rpms), to best maintain overall integrity of tire AND, the related interaction of inner-tubes when utilized. That most critical juncture is that between the heaviest tread overlay and the sidewall carcass, and typically corresponds to a point of the tread shoulder taper to the sidewall.

I understand this but, I still don't get where the 25 kph "limit" on these speed rated "e bike" tires comes in to play. It seems like it's just a number they threw on there.

I run maxxis gypsy silkworm ebike rated tire with slime thick tube . They also have moped molded on the sidewall. I have cut the sidewall with mud and rock wegdeing between the side pull brakes and tire. I also use gasket cinch glue to stop the tire from slipping on the rim pulling my inner tube to the point where rips the stem. Oh 7,000 peak watts.

speedyebikenoob said:
I understand this but, I still don't get where the 25 kph "limit" on these speed rated "e bike" tires comes in to play. It seems like it's just a number they threw on there.

It is, somewhat. It's more a "nominal" speed rating, as its obvious that 25kph on a 20" tire has more rpms than a 29er at 25kph!!!
But it's also safer for mfgs to rate FAR below maximum capabilities!!! And many here will attest that a 1000w rated motor can easily be driven at two or three times that rating or even more!!! There IS however a limit of such maximum.

That 25kph jus corresponds to "legal" e-bike speeds to qualify for typically accepted heavy e-bike use. Run them at 10psi or load them to 500lbs and they wont last long at ANY speed for ANY bike!!!

DRMousseau said:
speedyebikenoob said:

It is, somewhat. It's more a "nominal" speed rating, as its obvious that 25kph on a 20" tire has more rpms than a 29er at 25kph!!!
But it's also safer for mfgs to rate FAR below maximum capabilities!!! And many here will attest that a 1000w rated motor can easily be driven at two or three times that rating or even more!!! There IS however a limit of such maximum.

That 25kph jus corresponds to "legal" e-bike speeds to qualify for typically accepted heavy e-bike use. Run them at 10psi or load them to 500lbs and they wont last long at ANY speed for ANY bike!!!

Oh I see. It seems like it's the same thing they do with car subwoofers, they tend to be heavily underrated. I guess it wouldn't be a problem for me then because I probably wouldn't do more than 23-24 mph continuously, anything above 25 makes my eyes water. (yup I'm a wimp) :D

speedyebikenoob said:
DRMousseau said:
speedyebikenoob said:

Oh I see. It seems like it's the same thing they do with car subwoofers, they tend to be heavily underrated. I guess it wouldn't be a problem for me then because I probably wouldn't do more than 23-24 mph continuously, anything above 25 makes my eyes water. (yup I'm a wimp) :D

:eek: one should always use eye protection when riding..
to keep bugs, mud, etc AND wind out your eyes..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
speedyebikenoob said:
DRMousseau said:
speedyebikenoob said:

:eek: one should always use eye protection when riding..
to keep bugs, mud, etc AND wind out your eyes..

That's true, I really should. :D

speedyebikenoob said:
...because I probably wouldn't do more than 23-24 mph continuously, anything above 25 makes my eyes water. (yup I'm a wimp) :D

My next build will be wound to run that 25-30mph most efficiently, because that's about my most comfortable over long distance continuous speed. Currently wound to 40mph and rarely EVER run that.

You noted in your OP that your "stock" tires lasted only about 200mi and that "..they were crap". THAT is extraordinarily unusual for ANY bike tire and would like to inquire of more detail. Like specifically and exactly, what, where, and how they were "wore"??? And exactly what the major use was,... paved street, dirt/gravel, harsh raw trails, potholes/logs/rocks etc.,... and other specifics, i.e., tire pressures, total weight, suspension, etc.

Your bike tires are actually pretty unique. Nearly ALL are neither bias ply, nor radial. Surely everyone has noticed when looking inside their tire, that the typical carcass fabric threads are diagonally oriented! While not the best fabric cut to use in production, it IS the best orientation to use in a "single-ply" bike tire carcass, as other bias orientations are prone to specific failures under various typical bike use. You may or may not have noticed the "coarseness" or "TPI" of the fabric, and maybe how well the fabric is "encased" or "coated" inside. BOTH have a direct bearing on designed tire pressures and tube wear or tube abrasions from friction of flexing movement. TPI and thread quality also has a direct influence on how well the external "impacts" are dispersed AROUND the tire circumference to protect expensive wheel components as a whole,.... the primary and most important purpose of tires!!! TPI is often a compromise that's best suited in design with consideration of materials and function, and also has an effect in resisting and deflecting puncturing objects.

In most cases,... the "tread" is bonded directly to the carcass usually as part of the entire external surface, outer "skin", bead to bead, with rare specialized exceptions (i.e., high-pressured "gumwalls"). But some today, like your "Kendra Kuick Nine", will include a specially designed and engineered "protective shield" that MAY OFTEN cause unique problems in and of themselves!!! Tread designs, compounds, thickness, and dispersion, particularly from road surface thru shoulder into sidewall.

Simulating a loaded tire against a surface (mount on rim with minimal pressure to secure bead), note the CRITICAL "fold" that occurs when being flattened against surface. This generally occurs somewhere between the stiff road surface of the outer "skin" and the thinly coated sidewall, usually where the shoulder skin thins or tapers abruptly, OR near the edge of the stiff protective internal shield! This "critical fold point" is a major point of failure causing internal tube abrasions and perforations, and in sidewall carcass failures signaled as "sidewall cracks" of the skin. During the same simulation, notice how the road surface treads/knobs begin to collapse against each other, maybe even "cupping" or forming a "pocket" or "tunnel" down the centerline of the road surface, stressing carcass fabric and inducing telltale cracks between treads/knobs of the surface. You might now better understand the implications of a radial or bias ply design.

FACT,.... more than 85% of all tire and tube failures are directly attributed to IMPROPER inflation, relative to load!!! The remainder is usually due to ageing in relation to environment,... UV, heat, etc.,... and very, VERY few to extraordinary circumstances. This PSI spec, is especially critical in "high-pressured gumwalls", and internally shielded designs. Tires, beads and rims, are designed with A HUGE safety margin, provided they are maintained within mfgs specs, including typical loads. If you don't hear stones and opjects constantly "popping" from beneath your tires, your probably underinflated, and risking damage. Generally speaking, your bike tires should not flex at anytime in use under load, except in extremes of impacts, heavy bumps/dips, etc. Bike tires should maintain their inflated profile in use, to properly disperse impact forces evenly around wheel circumference. Many complain of "bounce" and hard rides at mfgs rated inflation,.... those issues should be addressed with suspension, sprung seats, cushioning, OR a different tire selection. Other issues are "cornering' matters and loss of grip in turns,.... again, select a tire more suited to purpose. Low pressure tires and "fat tires" are designed with thicker sidewall skin to reduce, disperse, and minimize the that pinching "fold" noted above, AND SHOULD STILL be maintained within mfgs inflation specs. Anything otherwise shortens tire life and may shorten your own due to unexpected failure.

Sooooooo, speed is mostly irrelevant. Your not likely to attain the speeds where internal temps from flexing actions are more critical than the flexing itself. A "speed rated" e-bike tire is simply constructed specifically for e-bikes. They won't "fly apart" due to a minor excess of speed above the rating.

DRMousseau said:
speedyebikenoob said:
...because I probably wouldn't do more than 23-24 mph continuously, anything above 25 makes my eyes water. (yup I'm a wimp) :D

My next build will be wound to run that 25-30mph most efficiently, because that's about my most comfortable over long distance continuous speed. Currently wound to 40mph and rarely EVER run that.

You noted in your OP that your "stock" tires lasted only about 200mi and that "..they were crap". THAT is extraordinarily unusual for ANY bike tire and would like to inquire of more detail. Like specifically and exactly, what, where, and how they were "wore"??? And exactly what the major use was,... paved street, dirt/gravel, harsh raw trails, potholes/logs/rocks etc.,... and other specifics, i.e., tire pressures, total weight, suspension, etc.

Your bike tires are actually pretty unique. Nearly ALL are neither bias ply, nor radial. Surely everyone has noticed when looking inside their tire, that the typical carcass fabric threads are diagonally oriented! While not the best fabric cut to use in production, it IS the best orientation to use in a "single-ply" bike tire carcass, as other bias orientations are prone to specific failures under various typical bike use. You may or may not have noticed the "coarseness" or "TPI" of the fabric, and maybe how well the fabric is "encased" or "coated" inside. BOTH have a direct bearing on designed tire pressures and tube wear or tube abrasions from friction of flexing movement. TPI and thread quality also has a direct influence on how well the external "impacts" are dispersed AROUND the tire circumference to protect expensive wheel components as a whole,.... the primary and most important purpose of tires!!! TPI is often a compromise that's best suited in design with consideration of materials and function, and also has an effect in resisting and deflecting puncturing objects.

In most cases,... the "tread" is bonded directly to the carcass usually as part of the entire external surface, outer "skin", bead to bead, with rare specialized exceptions (i.e., high-pressured "gumwalls"). But some today, like your "Kendra Kuick Nine", will include a specially designed and engineered "protective shield" that MAY OFTEN cause unique problems in and of themselves!!! Tread designs, compounds, thickness, and dispersion, particularly from road surface thru shoulder into sidewall.

Simulating a loaded tire against a surface (mount on rim with minimal pressure to secure bead), note the CRITICAL "fold" that occurs when being flattened against surface. This generally occurs somewhere between the stiff road surface of the outer "skin" and the thinly coated sidewall, usually where the shoulder skin thins or tapers abruptly, OR near the edge of the stiff protective internal shield! This "critical fold point" is a major point of failure causing internal tube abrasions and perforations, and in sidewall carcass failures signaled as "sidewall cracks" of the skin. During the same simulation, notice how the road surface treads/knobs begin to collapse against each other, maybe even "cupping" or forming a "pocket" or "tunnel" down the centerline of the road surface, stressing carcass fabric and inducing telltale cracks between treads/knobs of the surface. You might now better understand the implications of a radial or bias ply design.

FACT,.... more than 85% of all tire and tube failures are directly attributed to IMPROPER inflation, relative to load!!! The remainder is usually due to ageing in relation to environment,... UV, heat, etc.,... and very, VERY few to extraordinary circumstances. This PSI spec, is especially critical in "high-pressured gumwalls", and internally shielded designs. Tires, beads and rims, are designed with A HUGE safety margin, provided they are maintained within mfgs specs, including typical loads. If you don't hear stones and opjects constantly "popping" from beneath your tires, your probably underinflated, and risking damage. Generally speaking, your bike tires should not flex at anytime in use under load, except in extremes of impacts, heavy bumps/dips, etc. Bike tires should maintain their inflated profile in use, to properly disperse impact forces evenly around wheel circumference. Many complain of "bounce" and hard rides at mfgs rated inflation,.... those issues should be addressed with suspension, sprung seats, cushioning, OR a different tire selection. Other issues are "cornering' matters and loss of grip in turns,.... again, select a tire more suited to purpose. Low pressure tires and "fat tires" are designed with thicker sidewall skin to reduce, disperse, and minimize the that pinching "fold" noted above, AND SHOULD STILL be maintained within mfgs inflation specs. Anything otherwise shortens tire life and may shorten your own due to unexpected failure.

Sooooooo, speed is mostly irrelevant. Your not likely to attain the speeds where internal temps from flexing actions are more critical than the flexing itself. A "speed rated" e-bike tire is simply constructed specifically for e-bikes. They won't "fly apart" due to a minor excess of speed above the rating.

The stock tires on the bike are Bontrager XR2s, yeah the rear one wore really fast, but I guess that's to be expected when dumping 2400 watts on the rear wheel? Idk you tell me, you seem to have an equally or more powerful bike than I do. No idea what the TPI of those tires are though, but I ran them at around 40-45 psi. The front still seems fine though. I admit I was somewhat careless with these tires, I didn't check the tire pressure as much as I normally would but I don't think it ever dropped below 35. It was mostly road use with maybe twenty miles or so of offroading. The rear tire is worn to the point where the "nubby" things in the center of the tire are non existent and completely flat. I think it also might have wore out so quickly because I originally had the battery at the back of the bike for the first hundred miles, it's been moved to the center now. I'm also pretty heavy on the throttle, I like quick acceleration but it's not like I'm spinning the tire or anything usually, and as far as I can remember I've never actually locked up the rear tire for an extended period of time (>1 second). I'm guessing I maybe have 40 miles or so left on that tire before I have to replace it, I would hate to have a blowout. Frankly I don't really care about the stiffness of the ride, I'm totally fine with having my tires up to the maximum psi they can take if it means they'll last longer. A higher psi helps range anyways which is a plus.

speedyebikenoob said:
DRMousseau said:
speedyebikenoob said:

The stock tires on the bike are Bontrager XR2s, yeah the rear one wore really fast, but I guess that's to be expected when dumping 2400 watts on the rear wheel? Idk you tell me, you seem to have an equally or more powerful bike than I do. No idea what the TPI of those tires are though, but I ran them at around 40-45 psi. The front still seems fine though. I admit I was somewhat careless with these tires, I didn't check the tire pressure as much as I normally would but I don't think it ever dropped below 35. It was mostly road use with maybe twenty miles or so of offroading. The rear tire is worn to the point where the "nubby" things in the center of the tire are non existent and completely flat. I think it also might have wore out so quickly because I originally had the battery at the back of the bike for the first hundred miles, it's been moved to the center now. I'm also pretty heavy on the throttle, I like quick acceleration but it's not like I'm spinning the tire or anything usually, and as far as I can remember I've never actually locked up the rear tire for an extended period of time (>1 second). I'm guessing I maybe have 40 miles or so left on that tire before I have to replace it, I would hate to have a blowout. Frankly I don't really care about the stiffness of the ride, I'm totally fine with having my tires up to the maximum psi they can take if it means they'll last longer. A higher psi helps range anyways which is a plus.

Oh also, I weight about 120 pounds and the bike weighs maybe 70 with the battery and all? There's also shocks at the front.

speedyebikenoob said:
The stock tires on the bike are Bontrager XR2s, yeah the rear one wore really fast, but I guess that's to be expected when dumping 2400 watts on the rear wheel?

Not really, unless you're lifting it with your feet so you can spin it to burn rubber, or you skid it on the pavement a lot.

No idea what the TPI of those tires are though, but I ran them at around 40-45 psi. The front still seems fine though. I admit I was somewhat careless with these tires, I didn't check the tire pressure as much as I normally would but I don't think it ever dropped below 35.

What pressure range do they list on the side of the tire?

Too low pressure can allow sidewalls to flex so much that they begin to peel and crack (a problem I've had with Kendas regardless of tire pressure), and then the fabric begins to tear, and the tube can herniate out the side and catch on rim brakes or frame and be torn open.

But if that wasn't the failure mode, then pressure isn't likely the issue.

The rear tire is worn to the point where the "nubby" things in the center of the tire are non existent and completely flat. I think it also might have wore out so quickly because I originally had the battery at the back of the bike for the first hundred miles,
That shouldn't matter--it shoudl actually *help* because it keeps the wheel on the ground, helping to prevent spin, which like skidding during braking causes excessive wear.

If the surfaces it's used on are very rough, sharp edged, they'll wear faster, or if there's sand on a hard surface, or stuff like the flinty dust we get around here that acts like sandpaper dust on the roads (worse on concrete paths), they'll also wear faster.

The softer the compound, the grippier the tire...but the quicker they wear out.

Given the choice, I prefer grippier, even if I have to replace them more often, because if I have to make a sudden avoidance maneuver due to other traffic, I need to know the tires will stick if I want them to. However..I also want to be *able* to break them loose to slew the trike out of the way quicker than I could by just steering, so the tires I'm using are moped Shinko SR714s (IIRC--sometimes I misrememeber the number, but you can find them in my SB Cruiser thread), which are fairly sticky, but will still let me "drift" the rear end if I manipulate brake and power and shift my weight correctly, so if I have to I can change lanes in a few feet at most, instead of a few trike lengths (or I can make a corner without tipping the trike by drifting partly around it, if someone is tailgating me at a speed higher than I can normally turn at).

(I use the moped tires because of their thickness and multi-ply construction, which along with thick moped tubes help keep me from having to deal with flats).

Anyway....the wear doesn't have anything to do with "speed ratings" of the tires. ;)

Back