Magura MT5e Opener or Closer for Bafang M600?

Hi All,
Working on a new frame design and I have the M600 now in my possession. I'm looking a the Magura MT5e brakes but have not been able to determine whether I need Opener or Closer?

I have the cable adapters coming from ebike technologies so cabling not an issue.

Anyone have any ideas on opener or closer?

Thanks,
Fred

Unless it's different from almost every other system using on/off-switched ebrakes (rather than proportional regen types), then it would be a "normally open" or NO type, meaning the switch is open until you pull the brake lever. The switch must close to engage the brake.

You can easily test which one you need. If you power up the system without any brake levers connected, and it works, then it is NO type. If it requires the levers to be connected, it is either NC (normally closed) type *OR* it is a 3-wire brake lever that uses a hall sensor (or similar) that provides a (probably) 0v (~1v) or 5v (~4v) signal to the controller, and without a valid signal the controller shuts down.

amberwolf said:
Unless it's different from almost every other system using on/off-switched ebrakes (rather than proportional regen types), then it would be a "normally open" or NO type, meaning the switch is open until you pull the brake lever. The switch must close to engage the brake.

You can easily test which one you need. If you power up the system without any brake levers connected, and it works, then it is NO type. If it requires the levers to be connected, it is either NC (normally closed) type *OR* it is a 3-wire brake lever that uses a hall sensor (or similar) that provides a (probably) 0v (~1v) or 5v (~4v) signal to the controller, and without a valid signal the controller shuts down.

Well this is what I got from Bafang. But I think it is a closed system.

"I'm not so sure about open or closed loop...
What I know is or ebrake switch output high/low level signal.
High level let the motor work, and low level let the motor stop. "

So if the circuit opens and stops the motor then it would be a closer system?

Here is a picture of the connector.
I also ordered an adaptor from e-bike also pictured.

Attachments

• HIGO-A-B-S3F-B2B_11.jpg
    HIGO-A-B-S3F-B2B_11.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 3,956
  • BrakeSwitch02.jpg
    BrakeSwitch02.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 3,956
Hey Fred, its great to hear you have the M600 in your possesion. Can you tell us please a few details.......
1. How much did it cost you delivered?
2. Did you go for the throttle option with your drive?
3. Where did you buy the drive from?
4. Did you get the battery pack from Bafang?
5. Any leads from anyone anywhere regarding re-programing the stock controller?
6. Any leads from anyone anywhere regarding running 52 volts through this motor?
Also Fred just my opinion but with a low power set up like this why even bother with the ebrakes, just lock up the brakes when wanting to stop the assist . I have found just the brakes alone will dumb the power to the real wheel with out worring about the electric cut out. Just one more thing to go wrong and clutter up the dash board ....wayne

electricwheels.de said:
You would need a NO (normally open) or closer type switch (it will pull down the brake signal to GND when activated).

So, this one? https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/magura-mt5e-higo-closer-mtb-disc-brake/rp-prod156181

waynebergman said:
Hey Fred, its great to hear you have the M600 in your possesion. Can you tell us please a few details.......
1. How much did it cost you delivered?
2. Did you go for the throttle option with your drive?
3. Where did you buy the drive from?
4. Did you get the battery pack from Bafang?
5. Any leads from anyone anywhere regarding re-programing the stock controller?
6. Any leads from anyone anywhere regarding running 52 volts through this motor?
Also Fred just my opinion but with a low power set up like this why even bother with the ebrakes, just lock up the brakes when wanting to stop the assist . I have found just the brakes alone will dumb the power to the real wheel with out worring about the electric cut out. Just one more thing to go wrong and clutter up the dash board ....wayne
Hey Wayne,
1. Freight was about $320.00 shipped in three separate packages.
2. No throttle option as I want to use it on Class 1 trails in the US.
3. and 4. All items were purchased from Risen Bicycles. Aluminum Frame, Bafang BT F03 battery as the F04 is not available yet, and M600 motor assembly.
5. Haven't even begun to look into programing. Might talk with the tech from Luna Cycle, he does their support but actually lives in Washington if I remember correctly. He gave me some stuff on the G510 system while I had it.
6. Haven't heard anything on 52 volts for this system yet.

As far as why I want the cutouts when doing technical climbing especially in rocks I like to hold my brakes and power the bike slowly in tight switchbacks. I can't do that if the motor keeps powering. I don't ride on the road so having cutouts is really important to me for technical single track.

All I got for now as I still don't have the frame or battery yet. They had a digit wrong on the address so good old USPS sent everything back to China without calling! When I called to find out why they said they were too big to worry about calling just send stuff back and on to the next.

Drop Dead Fred said:
electricwheels.de said:
You would need a NO (normally open) or closer type switch (it will pull down the brake signal to GND when activated).

So, this one? https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/magura-mt5e-higo-closer-mtb-disc-brake/rp-prod156181

Yep. The contact closes when you pull the lever.

Back