How much sag to expect from 36v 20ah Q30 cells and 25 a controller

1boris

100 W
I have a Bafang bbs 36volt 500 watt motor with 25a controller and a ebay battery with samsung 32 e cells 19,2 Ah
It sags from fully charged to 38volt at full throttle.Is this to be expected or will a high quality lion battery with 30Q cells sag less?

4v sag not bad really. Fairly typical. Cheaper cells would definitely sag 6-8v under the same load.

Not to forget that you have the biggest sag at fully charged batteries. They lose the top voltage very quickly. Building a 20Ah battery with 30Q cells could be a little challenge though 8)
Let's assume a 21Ah one, so 7p battery. They should handle 25A quite fine, as it's only 3,5A per cell which is way below their max discharge limit.

1boris said:
Thanks,but would it be less than 4 volt sagging with 30q cells?
Depends on many factors. Not cell related only. ALL you wiring (and this includes ALL serial connections inside the battery) go into the equation. How the nickel strips are soldered/welded (hopefully) and how thick the nickel is. What connectors you use and how good they are, how long the wires are, especially if they are relatively thin ...
Take the quote 26mO per cell, 7 in parallel and this gives you 3,7mO. Then you have a 10s pack, so this gives you 37mO for all the cells. Another 5mO/m 12AWG wire. Then add nickel strips and spot welds and connectors and you should be somewhere near 60mO if all done right.

U = I x R. We're talking 25A and 36V. So it's 36 - 25 * 0,06 = 34.5V (1.5V sag)

Does this answer your question? ;) I hope i calculated correctly ....

BTW: The 32E has 35mO internal resistance. So sag with the same configuration with 30Q should be 3/4 of the 32E pack. Or 1/3 more for the 32E if you see it like that = 1,5V x 1,3 = 2V

Back