Help with Magic Pie Edge

JEG

10 µW
Hi group...I'm new to this game and hoping I can benefit from your experience

I have a Magic Pie Edge front drive motor. I just installed but started jerking and shaking so bad it's broke the front fork. :( If I lift a front wheel it's working smoothly with no load. Maybe a built-in controller or hall sensor or the regen braking. Any info help!

Sincerely JEG

Welcome. That sounds like pretty violent shaking! To me, it sounds like a hall sensor issue but there are a few more things you can check. If you lift the front wheel and spin it by hand (no power); does it spin normally with little resistance? When you do power the wheel off of the ground, does it start up smoothly? FYI, because it is a direct drive hub motor, there will be a little bit of "cogging" or resistance normally. Have a look at this page; specifically the "
Testing for a Defective Hall Sensor" document:
https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html

The should be a hall sensor plug inside the hub that connected to the built in Edge controller. You can use that plug to test.

Thanks to the info.
When I lift the front wheel its smooth by spinning by hand. When I move the thumb control the acceleration is smooth. If I try to ride the bike started shaking and jerking. And after Pass 5Mph smooth again. It's just so dangerous to go faster it almost killed me. Testing the Golden Motor DD motor it's a different because its a built-in controller .only few wires coming out the motor.

JEG

Probably a hall sensor, either the sensor itself, the wire from it to the internal controller, or the cotnroller's internal pullup resistor.

Have you contacted the seller for support?

broken front forks with front motors is not uncommon. What kind of fork was it?

The first year I had two burned magic pie internal controllers and the supplier has replaced them under warranty. The third time I fed up and I installed an unlocked adapto mini-e I had spare. The gr gr gr noises and symptoms you describe were exactly the same.

I had to upgrade the phase wires and to drill some big halls because the difference in power is huge.

it can be a failed hall sensor also but as I said magic pie internal controllers are very very sensitive.

I send you the link if you are interesting to see.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/mPWesnkex3k[/youtube]

HI

Thanks for all your help! You guys are awesome! The Pie come from a third party eBay so the GoldenMotor Canada was not helpful. :(
I use only one side torque arm so the other side cracked. Lesson learned.

Back