Bafang eBrake problem and maybe Cycle Analyst

I have 2 motors on my bike
A Bafang with it's own controller and an Ezee with a Cycle Analyst.

My problem is related to eBike signal.

On the Bafang. I have a lot of difficulty to find a position to place the magnet in a way that it will get further from the detector when I press the Brake lever.

i tested the wire and I find that when the magnet is there, all contact are open and the motor run
When the magnet get further, a contact close and motor is cut

On my other motor with cycle analyst, my eBrake is open when the motor run and when I pressed on the lever, the circuit close and the motor is cut. Which seem to be the same

Could I use the 5 volt from my ebrake on my Ezee and sent it to the Bafang

I saw this discussion but I don't understand the answer.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87008&p=1271802&hilit=Bafang+brake+cycle+analyst#p1271802

Thank you

SunPoweredWorldTour said:
I saw this discussion but I don't understand the answer.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87008&p=1271802&hilit=Bafang+brake+cycle+analyst#p1271802

It's just as well because the answer is not accurate. :?

The Bafang as well as the Ezee both require that the electronic brake signal (usually less than 5vdc) be shorted to ground (battery negative) for actuation.

With your Ezee break, thru a normally open set of contacts, which close on operation of the hand lever.

And with the Bafang, thru a normally open reed switch which closes with the magnet withdrawn. Neither use a 5vdc supply source for operation. My understanding is this was added to the wiring for future use when controllers with variable braking would be used with linear hall sensors mounted in the hand brakes.

So at this time your still stuck with trying to make the magnet position work, or go to another type Ebrake lever or actuator. Like the one for the Ezee.

A couple questions... Do you wish to have ether brake lever disable BOTH motors? And are you using hydraulic brakes?

Regards,
T.C.

I don't think that's right. The break signal wires are held at 5v by a pull-up resistor. The brake switch pulls it down to ground. That means that the signal is normally high, and when it's pulled low by the switch, power is cut. The problem is that you can't normally connect 5v wires from two different controllers because the 5V is slightly different on each one, which causes current to flow between them, and that can give some strange effects; however, the two 5V brake wires each have a 10K resistor between them and the 5V rail, so it does work as long as you have common grounds. If you have two batteries, you only need to run a wire from one ground to the other.

I've used brake switches and throttles shared between two or three controllers before on several bikes. For a single throttle to two controllers, you connect it with the three wires to one controller, then splice in a second signal wire and connect it to the second controller's throttle signal wire leaving its 5v and ground wires unconnected. Again the controllers must share a common ground to do that.

d8veh said:
I don't think that's right.

As I was essentially trying to say the same thing and thinking we are on the same page, I'm not sure where I lost you?

Perhaps it might be in the reference to using a 5vdc supply voltage at the Bafang brake switch?
As this was the reply in the thread the OP posted... (which I was disagreeing with).

"My experience is the Bafang switches use a Hall sensor and pull up HIGH. A little under supply voltage. The CAV3 might be able to handle that signal with some minor setting changes but you would still need to send 5V supply to power them."

And with the 5vdc supply being referenced in the Bafang pin-out.

FQzHpBv.jpg

And with the OP mentioning running 5vdc to the switch... Well, I just wanted to make it clear that a 5vdc supply line for a Bafang magnetic brake switch is not required, as there is not a hall sensor there. I've seen it required for a KIngmeter cable pull brake sensor... so it is possible to be required with other products.

Other wise the switching and operation in our posts I thought matched up. Hope this clarifies, if not please let me know specifics.

Regards,
T.C.

Could I use the 5 volt from my ebrake on my Ezee and sent it to the Bafang

I don't see why not. Just put the ebrake wires from both motors in parallel and run it to the brake lever switch. Make sure the ground sides go together.

If you are running both motors off the same battery, you could have issues if there is a lot of voltage drop in the negative battery wire between the two controllers. Make sure the two controllers battery negative wires are connected to each other with the shortest possible wire and use heavy wire.

TommyCat said:
A couple questions... Do you wish to have ether brake lever disable BOTH motors? And are you using hydraulic brakes?
my trike has a left and right brake only (no rear). usually I don't break on one side only but I could happen
in the best world, each brake would cut both motor but for now if each lever stop on motor I would be happy.

last summer, I had a short circuit in a cable on the Bafang which cause the motor to go full speed.
I have a main switch that same me there, I would one nice to have a protection on the brake too.

Yes my bike came with hydraulic brakes but only on one side, I have a JST-SM connector that close a circuit when I brake, I used it to send the signal to the Cycle Analyst.

fechter said:
If you are running both motors off the same battery, you could have issues if there is a lot of voltage drop in the negative battery wire between the two controllers. Make sure the two controllers battery negative wires are connected to each other with the shortest possible wire and use heavy wire.
I have two batteries in parallel. I use to have gage 10 but I had trouble with my Anderson connector and downgrade to 12 gage like the rest of my wiring.

TommyCat said:
And with the OP mentioning running 5vdc to the switch... Well, I just wanted to make it clear that a 5vdc supply line for a Bafang magnetic brake switch is not required, as there is not a hall sensor there. I've seen it required for a KIngmeter cable pull brake sensor... so it is possible to be required with other products.

Other wise the switching and operation in our posts I thought matched up. Hope this clarifies, if not please let me know specifics.
Wow where did you get those drawing. very nice.

yes, you are right the 5 volt is not in the ebrake but in the cycle analyst connector where the ebrake is connected
I did not realize it until I read your answer.
so I don't know if it is required :)

but because both Bafang and signal analyst need close circuit on braking to cut motor, do you think I could find a way to wire both controller on the same ebrake signal.

Thank you

The drawing not complete but the bike was great last year, and now I am doing some change to the wiring.

I have two throttles, two batteries and two of all important part. The goal was to have redundancy for a trip in Asia I wanted to do but so far, I can't find a boat to ship with bike with.
Because of the battery, I can't send it by plane.

the pic are from early last year, it did change a little since then
https://amaliasolar.wordpress.com/photo-video/

Attachments

• wiringv2.png
    wiringv2.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,050
Wow where did you get those drawing. very nice.

but because both Bafang and signal analyst need close circuit on braking to cut motor, do you think I could find a way to wire both controller on the same ebrake signal.

The drawing can be found here with a lot of good troubleshooting information for the Bafang mid drives...

https://electricbike.com/forum/foru...s/bbshd/39217-troubleshooting-the-bbshd-bbs02

Since your two batteries are in parallel, your controllers see them as just one. One voltage potential. But note Fechter's last comment.
I see no reason not to follow the advice of the previous other two posters, but I have not done this myself.

d8veh said:
I've used brake switches and throttles shared between two or three controllers before on several bikes.

fechter said:
I don't see why not. Just put the ebrake wires from both motors in parallel and run it to the brake lever switch. Make sure the ground sides go together.

Any chance of getting a picture of your trike?

Best of luck on your trip!

Regards,
T.C.

Wow, that is terrific! May I post your link else where to show other interested trike riders? :D

Did the recommended solution work for your brake inputs?

Back