Interbike 2018, Reno-Tahoe, Sept 14-20

fechter said:
I had a few vendors with their engineers alongside them and they told me that they learned everything they know on ES. To me, the whole point of ES is to provide fertile soil for building jaw dropping awesome electric things, and so it felt amazing to have been part of all this.

That is nice to hear. I sometimes underestimate the influence of the Sphere. Resistance is futile.

Yeah man. How awesome :)

Lock, that would be one way to do it.. or we could have coordinated a bit better.. I was so damn busy the week before interbike ( currently have one full time gig plus 2 side jobs ) that i wasn't able to coordinate much. Hemdan ( lantice ) tried to set something up but it was kind of a flop.

I think the location this year might have been a factor.

^^ Hehe... I'm perhaps less coordinated than I've been my whole life... (Lost my sense of balance...) But by splashing these "walking advertisements for electric bikes" all over the show... just something suggested by Phoenix Ebike Promotions.

:wink:

The show is already maybe 70-75% ebikes. I had an amazing time and ran into many ES folks!

I will try to upload some vids now that Im back in the land of fast data.

^^ Hehe... "the land of fast data"...

In a 21st-century urban world... "watts that?"

Glad you survived. :wink:

[youtube]Hf4p1mOToZA[/youtube]

More uploading...

Moderator edit: for those who watched the video at 23:20, here are the different clutches described. The Brose motor uses a "sprag" clutch, shown here on the left. It is more expensive, but it is also smoother, quieter, and stronger than the others. "I'm just a bicycle enthusiast" -Luke (*coffee spews out my mouth)

Freewheel4.png

LFP,

5'04" into the video,
Yea that Dean Titanium 27.5 gravel full suspension bike is Nice !

Lots of room for a very large battery pack, that would make a great long distance Road , Commuter bike .

LFP,

At 22' 18" That Mid-Drive motor, What company is that ? Brose ?

Any information on weight ? voltage range, amp max , etc . ?
Price ?

Although if it is Brose then it probably would be low power , shame .

Someone could make a 1.5 + kw, 40 -50 amp version , that would be good.

The Brose drive actually looked impressive inside, one of the videos I play around with a cut-away Brose drive and I like how few of reduction stages it has before the final drive.

Here's video #2 from the show.

[youtube]dBXLdYMIoek[/youtube]

vid 3

[youtube]04r_TpqQ2ME[/youtube]

vid 4

[youtube]iCxx_bwpCdg[/youtube]

vid 5
[youtube]gwse8uuVXCc[/youtube]

vid 7

[youtube]XPSDUq03AP8[/youtube]

Benno Bikes Updates from Interbike: Boost, eJoy, eScout, Ebike Accessories
[youtube]jknSjMzZXts[/youtube]

Thanks LFP these videos make me happy :D

2019 Bosch Electric Bike Updates: Kiox Display, Heart Rate Monitor, Bosch Ebike App, PowerTube
[youtube]fdlU5ieZKq4[/youtube]

Thanks for posting Luke! Wish I could have made it.

Seems electrics are outnumbering the non-electrics. Think of all the "cheaters" that are going to be out there. :wink:

When even Shimano has an electric bike in the display centerpiece of their booth, and it's a sick carbon downhill ebike running flagship parts, you know ebikes have won. :)

There are eight million stories in the naked city, and this was one of them: a chance meeting. True, I am just a wedding crasher with a devious agenda, but when the pretty girl at the party caught my eye, down the rabbit hole I went.

It all began in the test area. Walking by I heard a guy explain one of the transmission options I had been curious about for over a year. Yes, this was the NuVince Harmony. I continued on, but with a pull at my heart not known before.

Just before closing I found myself there again and it was available! The bright young man went on... and on... and on... and on... and on... and on... and the test track closed by the time I got there.

Now I had blue balls. So I was there bright and early the next day to get on the dance card, if at all possible. At first I was glad not to see my little techno boy, but nobody else knew what I was asking for. I had to go find her myself, buried deep in the rack with an empty dance card.

A polite gentleman doesn't talk about what happened next in public. Let us just say I was smitten, I had to have her. Knowing I was in the land of secret handshakes didn't stop me, I asked to buy her. Of course it could have been me looking like a crackhead who found a pass and got lost on his way to the bathroom, but they just gave me vague explanations of why not.

I would have forgotten her, like so many other lovers, but I ran into Spinning Magnets. He kindly introduced me to his entourage as from Endless Sphere. I am not nearly that cool. Dude, you need a fact checker before the second draft. As we talked the group moved to the test area right in front of my baby! I just had to pull him aside. I started spewing gibberish and then hit on: “Just turn her on, put her in a turbo, and ride how ever you want.” (He is not from here or I would have said: ride her like Shirley at the Mustang Ranch!)

Another sleepless night looking at close ups of purple anodizing surrounded by carbon fiber. Nothing could take my mind off her, so at ten I rolled up on them and whipped out four grand in cash. It was as shocking as I hoped it would be. They had me putting that away faster than the boys on fourth street. However it did get me a salesman. Yadda Yadda, it belongs to someone else. “Fine, here is my phone number, call me” I said. Note I said call me.

Pretty girls have been the bane of my existence. I am old enough now to move on and get the job done. On the surface, the end of the show looks a bar at three am. Many of the booths have people sleeping on their forearms. However there is a small group of rats scurrying about. Here the wheat was separated from the shaft. Among the half drunk beers, people were being pulled aside all over the place: “we have to talk.” Next time we ask the Post to pay Spinning Magnets to get us the real stories.

Me? I scored. I am too legit to quit now. Felling good because I was done with 2 minuets to spare, I wondered back through the floor and ran into the salesman. “I texted you” he said. “Dude, your a salesman, you should know to never text people over 60. When they say call, call!” He gives “the guy” a call for me. Could this day go any better?

He can't sell it because of a European battery. I never believed the toilets flushed the other way in Ozi land until I went there, so maybe things do spark differently in Europe. What is German for Ohms Law? However I have his number and he will be back next month. The dream lives on.

{<- Insert secret handshake here.]

Oh, that was live for Physics with the camera. I saw him in Macro giving a proctology exam to a motor in Reno 5. It looked like it hurt. Sorry I don't know you guys.

I can see the pictures on facebook, but get lost trying read anything. (old man with a cell phone syndrome.) They talk about the Asian Pacific area being of interest to us. It was the best, but can anybody explain it?

The best example was a lady representing a manufacture was showing me what is also Extreme's Cheetah. The fellow from xtreem is comfortably sitting with them and happy to talk to me. I imagine someone who hoped for something proprietary has been disappointed, but is there now an acceptance that if you really only assemble bikes for sale, first to market, service, distribution, etc. is what you are banking on?

The main hall seemed obvious. The security guard told me. “It is just like the last one. Retailers are begging for financial relief and instead attend lectures from ebay, Toni Robins, etc until they mortgage the shop for more inventory.”

The last convention I saw him at was sailplanes, one to three hundred grand new. Barely filled one hall. This bike industry has some bucks behind it!

e7aafedb-2b6b-4709-9fae-eb559fdad681.png

Interbike’s Move to Reno Brings in Less Retailers:
https://www.bike-eu.com/shows-event...ove-to-reno-brings-in-less-retailers-10134564

Starts:
RENO/NV, USA – For the 2018 edition, Emerald Expositions moved the U.S bicycle show Interbike from Las Vegas to Reno and introduced a new show concept. The first edition of this Interbike Marketweek 2018, which took place from 15-20 September, attracted less visitors and less exhibitors.

Includes:
What became obviously clear is that e-bikes are on the rise. The long-awaited take-off is expected to breathe new life into the stagnating U.S. market. Together with Trump’s tariffs, this was the most discussed topic at Interbike 2018.
:)

... and:
The limited number of demo bikes had its roots in the exhibitor’s little expectations. However, it was soon obvious that for the first time U.S. retailers showed greater interest in e-MTB category which is already booming in Europe.
:D

... Ends:
Clearly the exhibitors without any e-bike products were not as happy as the ones with e-bike products. While the overall market is flat, nearly all U.S. bicycle brands at Interbike showed up with at least one e-MTB while the list of upcoming e-bike brands is also on the rise. Canadian iGo Electric Bicycles even showed e-bikes only and the German buyers group ZEG, represented by Bull Bikes USA, presented no less than 35 models. Also the European e-bike drivetrain suppliers Brose and Fazua were celebrating their Interbike debut. The positive mood towards e-bikes shows that the U.S. is finally getting ready for this category after a long period of discussions on regulations and personal scepticisms.

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the synopsis. Reno has grown not only from Tesla, but wholesalers building warehouses. Bicycle retailers are now getting things from Reno so I wonder if this was a factor in choosing it. Reno is well located among western highways. eMTBs at Northstar and public being allowed is the change I hope they keep.

xcnick said:
Thanks for the synopsis. Reno has grown not only from Tesla, but wholesalers building warehouses. Bicycle retailers are now getting things from Reno so I wonder if this was a factor in choosing it. Reno is well located among western highways. eMTBs at Northstar and public being allowed is the change I hope they keep.

The business taxes are way lower in Nevada than in California, so many companies cross the border.

It's a good sign that so many bike companies are coming out with e-versions. This will put pressure in the right places.

fechter said:
The business taxes are way lower in Nevada than in California, so many companies cross the border.

As in zero income tax....its a big reason people move here. As a Nevada cpa it my bread and butter

Hey devo, do you think Reno gave them a break in exchange for moving the convention from Vegas to Reno?

Back