Anyone up for E-dirt ride in San Francisco?

aaronski

1 kW
I dust all my MTB friends, any ebikers want to do some East Bay dirt riding?

send me a PM!

-Aaronski

I would! I took my bike for a spin today and am still getting the kinks out but it is getting there! Hopefully by next week I will have it fully running and reliable enough to hit up the serious trails again. Maybe hit yah up with a PM see if your still interested once I get it all stabilized.

img06552.jpg

sounds good. That's a hell of a ride.

Hey guys just wondering if you still ride e-dh/dirt in the bay area? Just moved here and almost have my bike completed. Check it out below.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25932

I'm still available weekends. There are a bunch of great trails, it's a bit wet out this weekend, perhaps next weekend?

aaronski said:
I'm still available weekends. There are a bunch of great trails, it's a bit wet out this weekend, perhaps next weekend?

Hey forgot about this thread, I'm still down to meet up with you guys with the new e-motoped, I might even have two bike running by then so I could bring a friend. We'll have an ebike gang! I could even bring the generator and we could make a day of it. :wink:

hows next weekend sound? sat or sunday? I might have 2 bikes running by then too, if i can get another pack built by then. Only drawback is my current power source, 66v, 2.5 ah mostly.
I need to build my 72v 6.6ah pack up again, and potentially get another 36x10 put together as well. so many batteries so little time.He is julian-destroyer of free time.
baby%20julian%20116.JPG

-Aaronski

My bike is so close/ so far BMS in the post and rain slowing me down next weekend is possible if I'm lucky. I had the bike a few weeks before starting the build and was riding it at Mt Sutro. Really new to this city, where is good to ride if you don't have a car?

Yeah i am in too if you guys are going to ride...i could show up with 2 other ebike riders....

I can meet sat or sun

You guys want to meet in San Francisco at the base of the bridge and ride into marin from there?

I know some good parking lots we can meet in if you want a sf ride...

Possible it will be dry on Sunday, it's also possible I will have the bike running. The weather has been kind so far this week so slowly getting the box finished.

confirmed with wife. I'm in. weather permitting.

Hi Edward, we were planning dirt roads, and would be happy for you to join us.
If you need a bike you can borrow one of mine, jus supply your own battery :)

Any electric bike that can make a fire road should be good. this ride should be 95 percent car free....there is plenty of dirt but for those who want to stay safe and sane just stick to the fire road...

There are some pretty good climbs in the marin headlands...but depending on your bike if you need to hike it you need to hike it...nothing too extreme.

For battery considerations of the "pack" (our group)...my suggestion would be to ride across the gg bridge and then go down to Kirby Cove at the base of the golden gate bridge. Round trip we are talking 10 miles from Sf with the only difficult climb a one mile climb out from kirby cove on a fire road...worse come to worse you can push your bike up this fire road... Another suggestion is i know a really low key bar that is ebike friendly on the base of the golden gate bridge called presidio yacht club. They will allow us to charge our bikes there if there are riders who need a boost and have a good charger. Maybe some will decide to do presidio yacht club after Kirby Cove and get a quick "top up" before riding home.

We could do a ebike barbecue at kirby cove, and then bike with enough amp hours and enough climbing power could do the headlands loop...that is a really nice ride. I would think to do the entire ride with loop you would need 15ah...but for those who opt for shorter kirby cove or presidio yacht club ride you would only need at most 10ah. (i am talking 36 or 48 volts which you probably will need for climb out)

If you guys decide to do the kirby cove barbecue, i can carry/supply the grill and meats etc on my bike.

For those who battery is a consideration it is always a nice option to pedal across the golden gate bridge. It is relatively flat and a safe and nice ride. If you pedal both ways across the bridge you will save a good 2ah.

I may have an extra bike or two with 10ah 48 volts if someone needs a loaner. i should be able to bring 3 hard core ebikers as well, also members of es here.

So what do you guys think...barbecue at kirby cove? What i like about kirby cove is it is beatiful, isolated (only bikers or hikers can get there and it is long ways), and then we have hard core meeting place. People who want to opt for shorter ride can drive direct to the headlands, and coast down from the top on even a non-electric bike and meet us at the base.

There are plenty of harder core dirt stuff that can be ridden in this vicinity for those who want to branch out after the barbecue.

i think if we are really going to do this we should promote it in the activities seciton of the site. Are we sure about sunday? Lets come up with a time and start promoting. Trust me the kirby cove ride is a fantastic one...

I have here a detail of the exact ride i am suggesting that me and 2 other es members did (mr electric and ilia from ebikes sf)...you can find more in the middle of this page: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15335&start=30
View attachment 4
ebike-ride-over-gg0005.JPG
ebike-ride-over-gg0006.JPG
ebike-ride-over-gg0007.JPG
ebike-ride-over-gg0008.JPG

ARG sand!!!! Don't you know that is like the worst environment for a bike! :wink: I'm there but I may only have the one bike working.

Hey...sand is bad...i run my dog on the beach atleast 4 days a week currently on ebike...yikes

Weather is iffy for Sunday....chance of sprinkles.

If you guys are up for it do you want to set it in stone and make the announcement? Or do you want to wait for future sunny spring sunday?

I myself dont mind a little rain.

My advice is just too dress warm and you will be fine...if it rains too hard we can head to bar at base of golden gate.

But it could be better just to wait and see what another weekend brings in terms of forecast....spring days are the clearest and best here by the coast in SF....

Whats the group consenses....do the ride regardless of weather or wait for a better day??
s95 007.jpg
s95 019.jpg

I vote we go this Sunday, rain or shine, and when the weather perks up more. As for the sand, I'll just lock my bike to a tree right before the sand. it's a pretty remote location, I"m not worried about theft.

As long as my bike is running I'm there. BMS turned up today just about to wire it up. Have a 12ah battery so should be ok with the distance and such. Agree the weather may not be the best but again not scared of a little rain.

I'm back from China, in the bay area, and down for some dirt fun.

extremegreenmachine said:
If you guys decide to do the kirby cove barbecue, i can carry/supply the grill and meats etc on my bike.

Have to say weather permitting this also sounds like a great idea, let me know if i can help in anyway.

So do you guys want to meet up at the sports basement parking lot in san francisco crissy field around 12? Its ok to leave your car in this parking lot by the way cyclists meet here all the time to begin there weekend rides...if cyclists can do it ebikers can do it!

...Anyway on the weekend the bike only lane on the golden gate bridge (west side) will be open so we wont have to deal with walking tourists. electric bikes are suppose to have the power off over the golden gate bridge..so we shouldn't flaunt motor while riding over...especially in a group. Marin county cyclists are a grumpy set of farts and they can scream at us if our true identity becomes obvious. I am always afraid of getting a warning from te bridge patrol and getting on some goverment ebike watch list..anyway the ride over the golden gate bridge is of course fantastic and should be enjoyed at low speed anyway.

Those who dont want to make the golden gate ride or are running late can park your car at the base of kirby cove for a much shorter ride/walk... you can find kirby cove online but basically you make the first turn off after crossing the golden gate bridge into marin...i believe it is the sausalito exit..you exit and then cross under the tunnel as if your going back over the gg bridge, and take the first turn off on the right and head into the headlands...you will park in the first touristy parking lot you see in front of Battery Hendrik...a world war II bunker...walk up the paved road a bit and you will see a dirt trail going down that is barred off...that is the entrance to Kirby Cove...follow the swirvy firey road (on bike or foot no car) to the bottom. Google map these coordinates: 37.828644,-122.490558 ... this road is about a mile downhill and is our buffer to the world...not everyone is able to go up and down this road as effortless as we will...by the way this is the last weekend kirby is closed to campers....this weekend kirby will be all ebikers.

Bring plenty of amp hours because there are really beautiful trails to explore here, those who dont have dirt equipped bikes dont fear..i have done this ride many times with no suspension and street tires...but this is a fire road and is not suitable for pure road bikes...you need some tread. The main paths are not that "dirty"...more like fire roads...but there is plenty hairy hilly areas for those who want to ride off the main road and get crazy.

Minimum amp hours you will want for this ride is 36 volt 10ah... if you dont have consider driving to marin and starting your ride from the marin side. I like to bring 48 volts 20 amp hours for serious exploration...

I will bring a barbecue grill set up and something to grill (loaded on my bike you will see)...feel free to bring something for the group to snack on or drink.

Marin headlands is alcohol friendly by the way.

So primary meeting area will be at 12:00:

Sports Basement - Crissy Field
610 Old Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94129

The plan will be to arrive at kirvy cove on our bikes at 1:30

I am assuming we will break out of kirby cove on open ride at around 3pm... i would suggest the headlands loop...about a 5 mile ride....and a giant hill...but you can skip this part if your batteries arent up to it.

If all sounds good above let me know..if anyone wants to change anything about the ride post here....but lets finalize the plan so we can get the word out.

Once we arrive at kirby cove...we can have our barbecue...wait for latecomers to show up (maybe), and from there we are free to explore any which way.

I really recommend this ebike ride for those who havent done it before..it is freaking fabulous with tons to see and explore....in fact i know a secret entrance into a tunnel system that goes for miles...hmmmm nevermind. :oops:

If you have been following this thread and you really want to go but dont have a suitable bike...message me i might be able to help you out with a loaner bike.

Sounds like a solid plan to me, got my battery finished and charged today. Strange thing was it only charged for 5 mins before the fans turned off and the LED went green. Maybe they come with a factory charge and I just topped it off I'm not sure. I will prob have my first full test tomorrow, fingers crossed.
Really hope the weather holds out for Sunday and we can really make a day of it. I will do some pedaling to save some ah but I will also bring my charger, maybe we will find a place to plug in.

If all goes well I will see you at: 12:00 @
Sports Basement - Crissy Field
610 Old Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94129.

Will keep my eye on this thread for changes.

Agreed. Will meet you at 12!

Back