Back in the Day: Hill Climb Races in SF

Green Machine

100 kW
Race Rules
Riders are allowed mulitiple attempts at ride....3 times maximum. Only lowest time is recorded.
If you race unlimited you must race gymn class...on same bike same battery...pedal or hike.
$10 voluntary donation is asked by all entrants and participants. 100% of donations will go to unlimited prize fund.
Helmet Required (gloves and jacket is recommended)please bring extra helmets for loaners.
All bikes over 2000 watts must have pedals...no high powered scooter or motorycles without pedals.
Bikes over 125lb have to go in E-motorycle section
Any bike over 2000 watts must race in Unlimited Section
Racers must provide organizer description of bike build (battery, type of motor, controller, voltage) before the race or on printout at the race.

For more details and ongoing discussion about this race http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27113&start=90 ....follow this thread...check back here for official race announcements and last minute changes before race day May 14th.

I almost melted my DD rear 9C motor that day, on a single ascent of the fire road (just getting up there, not a race). The 9C motor was hot for several hours from that climb.

Since then, I've been back twice, first with a BBSHD on a mountain bike which went right up without getting warm.

The second time I went back I had the same bike with the same motor as I had on the original ascent, and it went up fast and easy. The difference was - 2WD. It is just amazing what adding a second motor does to the thrust and traction. Roughly twice the thrust makes vastly better performance on a steep climb. A lighter 18650 triangle battery, a pair of PhaseRunners, better tires, the additional BMC front gearmotor and it went up easily. Not as fast as the deathbike, perhaps, but fast enough that the motors didn't heat at all.

It is a nice area to ebike in.

I was so glad and surprised I actually survived my run staying rubber side down I ended up wrecking crossing the line.

I think Alan filmed it.

I shot a lot of video that day on a new Nikon DSLR that has video capability. I have it on my server somewhere.

That was the first time I met a lot of ES people in person.

I recall a few wipeouts, mostly minor on the rocky, slippery fire road. I had a minor fall going up as well (no video of that one), it was a challenging trail.

I remember everyone who I let try to take an attempt on deathbike up the hill climb after my pass ended up just eating gravel rapidly.

Then we had that crazy asphalt Hill climb near by, and that nice fellow with the very peppy hubmotor BMX hotrod hit the bank at such speed it snapped his arm on contact and wadded the front wheel of his bike to be mashed into the hitting his rear wheel from the frame buckling.

That was a hell of day. Thanks for putting that together!

Damn, I'm going to have to try and make that one for sure. I remember the very first one back in 2003.

Here I am on my original Zappy scooter:
ZappyRace.jpg

I took fist place in my category.

Award 2003 small.jpg

Back then, I think everybody was still using lead-acid batteries and brushed motors. We've come a long way since then.

SF ev hill climb1.JPG

SF ev hillclimb3.JPG

Sorry, that's about all I have from that day. I have pics from some other way back meetings though.

When's the last time you saw a CityBug scooter, or a Badsey? Brian Hall is in the middle there. I think he's still around.

I miss Deafscooter. He was full of crap about many things, but he really did make very quick LEV's on a shoe-string budget. That scooter would still beat most of todays hotrod ebike builds for acceleration.

395b.jpg

395c.jpg

eTrike said:
Damn, who's the hottie?

Etrike is one of my trolls ...he follows me wherever i post.... he is es pollution. And this makes me sick. Etrike why are you here? and what does that sexist comment have anything to do with anything? And the hottie was my wife.

liveforphysics said:
I miss Deafscooter. He was full of crap about many things, but he really did make very quick LEV's on a shoe-string budget. That scooter would still beat most of todays hotrod ebike builds for acceleration.

395b.jpg

395c.jpg

Luke thanks so much brother..... you just gave me something very sentamental and valuable to me.

I did not take many picutres back in that day of my escooter and ebike shop back then......or it took them and long since lost them.

That graphic you posted was a screen shot from my old website that i built.... that text is my writing ;)

We ended up buying that "70 mph" city bug scooter from Craig and it had it displayed in our store and i think we gave out flyers for it. i paid big money for it..way more than it was worth but i support craig and what he does. And that scooter was insanely awesome and way ahead of its time for off the hook fast evs.

When i closed my shop i donated that scooter back to craig (it was too frocking crazy to actually ride)

how did you get this ? this stuff is priceless for me....

I found them on EV album. The scooter picture Alan posted above reminded me of the confusing/contradictory legend that is deafscooter. I found his EValbum page to see if I could find the crazy stuff about adding lithium salts to lead acid batteries for more performance (I just recently discovered that actually can have meaningfull lead acid performance effects for at least 1 cycle).

I didn't actually find that part on EValbum, maybe someone else has a link?

I remember Craig. I think this one is his original Urban Express scooter. He built ones from scratch later but similar form factor.
Doped lead-acid batteries. He would never tell us what he put in them, but it was highly exothermic.

Dscf0050.jpg

Oh wow there is a rare lost hidden picture of my store i had in 2002...

Thanks a lot Fecther... it means a lot to me to see....

You see behind the urban express is a wall full of 3-5k pocket bikes made in italy...

Later they would be replicated in china and anyone could buy them in pep boys for 300 bucks.

Soon they were illegal for everyone.

Craig Deaf Scooter has always been one of my heroes.

It pleases me to see he is still around and still building unique and awesome scooters.

I atually did 50 mph on a scooter just tonight....it was just a warm up run i think we are going to get over 65mph on a 65 pound scooter.

Craig showed up out of nowhere on a forum where he heard about it and offered to be the test pilot for me :) i thought it was pretty cool.

but i was inspired since those days to make the most amazing kick scooter ever and i think i finally got it..... and you know what....

i would love to give craig the honors to hit top speed on it if he wants too... so i will take him up on it.

Its gotta be safer than that urban exrpresss...that thing was a deathtrap....

just a sec i will pull together a video from tonights 48mph test run...

Back