West Coast US Events

Alan B

100 GW
It would be useful if we had a consistent place to announce events of interest to Endless Sphere members for a fairly large geographical area. This would allow interested folk to subscribe to one thread and get heads up on things within that area even if they are not browsing the forums frequently. The details of events should be handled in another thread, this one should be for a small number of postings per event. For example one posting way in advance, one a month or two ahead of the event and one a week or so before the event. Ideally these postings would contain links to websites and threads with more detailed discussions and information on the event.

This list is intended for the US west coast. Other events farther away might be announced here if they are big enough to be of interest to people on the west coast.

Feel free to add events or information that is useful but try to keep postings here to a minimum.

Thanks, but it's SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing and the first 2012 race
is at Grange Motor Circuit in Apple Valley just past Victorville.

http://www.GrangeRacetrack.com on Saturday April 7th 2012.
I will be announcing all the details here in this forum as usual.

The first SMBR race on June 18th 2011 was at Willow Springs Raceway.

The second SMBR race on Oct 22nd 2011 was at Grange Motor Circuit.

First 2012 SoCal Motor Bicycle Race on Sat April 7th back at GrangeRacetrack.com

Second race on Sat June 2nd GrangeRacetrack.com
we will run the track in reverse which would be clockwise just to keep everyone
on their toes.

Third race on August 18th at Grange Motor Circuit.

Fourth race on October 20th just like we did last year when the weather is
just about perfect out in the desert.

Hey MRB,

Looking forward to the 2012 race season!

Quick tech question-

The vendor describes these tires as "Moped/Small Bike Tires"..
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MICHELIN-GZLM62&CartID=

..and this is what it looks like mounted in a rim (~23" tall)

DSCN2829.jpg

Considering that most conventional bicycle tires are sketchy (if not unsafe) at 30+ MPH speeds..
Q: Will Michelin Gazelles be allowed to run at SMBR events?

last october only bicycle rims were allowed [at least for the bicycle classes], according to mbr's posts here on es.

he did allow some moped -tires-, though:
MotorBicycleRacing said:
The Moped Pirelli ML75 tires used by Etard are OK as long as they are
on bicycle rims.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=451373#p451373
dunno about upcoming events.

Stevil_Knevil said:
Hey MRB,

Looking forward to the 2012 race season!
Hi Steve
I am looking forward to seeing you out on the track this April 7th at Grange :D
Stevil_Knevil said:
Quick tech question-

The vendor describes these tires as "Moped/Small Bike Tires"..
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MICHELIN-GZLM62&CartID=

..and this is what it looks like mounted in a rim (~23" tall)

Considering that most conventional bicycle tires are sketchy (if not unsafe) at 30+ MPH speeds..
PaulD was hitting about 50 mph and won the Ultimate race on bicycle tires. Maxxis hookworms 2.50" x 26"

AGK's Monsta 20 hp 4 stroke was even faster than PaulD on the very same tires. The winners of the 11 hp 4 stroke race
and the 2 stroke class were using hookworms too.
Aside from liveforphysics I haven't heard of anyone having failures or problems with the hookworms . .......Do you
have any proof that hookworm bicycle tires are unsafe over 30 mph?
Most of the bikes at the last race were under 40 mph on that long straight away with much slower speeds
on the rest of the course.

Have you already built an ebike using these tires? If so what kind of power and set up do you have?

IF they were approved only the 2.5" width would be allowed.

What does everyone here think about the tires?
I personally don't decide the very few rules that exist. There is a core group of the racers that provide feedback so I would
have to see what everyone thinks.

So far only one of the gas bike guys have used the Pirelli ML75 moped tires on a new race build.

There is a balance and we don't want to turn motor bicycle racing into Motorcycle racing.
There is an Unlimited Class for bikes that don't fit into the rules.

I have shreaded a hook worm in one afternoon of testing....they were the 20"ers

Big issue for me is...my pirellis are 1/3rd the price of hook worms. cheaper means better!

so what are you saying Neil: "IF" they are aproved? :D

a simple IN or OUT is all I need to hear.

I'm just as happy shredding a set of hookworms.

I'm building a Greyborg with one of their new hubmotors for commuting and dirt riding. I'm planning to go with 17" by 2.5" moped tires because I hate flats and tire failures from potholes. These tires weigh a bit over 4 pounds plus the rim weight so they aren't as quick as bicycle tires. But they should be safer and more reliable. It would be interesting to bring to Grange sometime, but I can't afford to change rims just for a fun race.

Stevil_Knevil said:
Q: Will Michelin Gazelles be allowed to run at SMBR events?

MotorBicycleRacing said:
PaulD was hitting about 50 mph and won the Ultimate race on bicycle tires. Maxxis hookworms 2.50" x 26"

AGK's Monsta 20 hp 4 stroke was even faster than PaulD on the very same tires. The winners of the 11 hp 4 stroke race
and the 2 stroke class were using hookworms too.
Aside from liveforphysics I haven't heard of anyone having failures or problems with the hookworms . .......Do you
have any proof that hookworm bicycle tires are unsafe over 30 mph?

Yo MBR,

I should have put the emphasis on most conventional bicycle tires :)
Dual-ply Maxxis Hookworms appear to be the only conventional bicycle tire capable of withstanding the harsh racing environment of 40+ MPH acceleration - and hard braking -- as you just illustrated.

We have all torn through the other tires before settling on Hookworms as the best, high-performance bicycle tire option available ..but none of us are riding bicycles. Maybe it is time to advance the state-of-the-art?

Yes, my wheels are built. Peak power should be ~2.4kW (<3.21HP). 17" X 2.50 Michelin Gazelles on 17 X 1.20 rims. Rear is mounted to a modified HT hub motor. Front wheel is the same, but with a disc-mounted bicycle hub.

Keen to retain all the Motorized Bicycle goodness without becoming a motorcycle, -S

Same tire I'm planning to use on my bike (Gazelle 2.5-17). They don't look as sticky as the Pirelli's, but I have not seen the Pirelli's actually available in 17" though they are listed on the manufacturer's site no one seems to sell them.

It would be good if there was a thread for this upcoming race for these discussions. :D

MotorBicycleRacing said:
I personally don't decide the very few rules that exist. There is a core group of the racers that provide feedback so I would

Right. So I started a poll on the moped tire question..

See it here-> http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35837

.. I trust that you will consider the votes, experience and feedback generously provided there when deciding if moped tires will be allowed at your events.

Looking forward to seeing you at The Grange on April 7th ..and there will be rubber on whatever wheels I bring :twisted:

Stevil_Knevil said:
MotorBicycleRacing said:

.. I trust that you will consider the votes, experience and feedback generously provided there when deciding if moped tires will be allowed at your events.

Looking forward to seeing you at The Grange on April 7th ..and there will be rubber on whatever wheels I bring :twisted:
Yes, any 2.5" Moped tires are OK to use at the race.

MotorBicycleRacing said:
Stevil_Knevil said:
MotorBicycleRacing said:

Yes, any 2.5" Moped tires are OK to use at the race.

Thank you, Neil :)

New West Coast Race Series Announced

The Adam's Motorsports Park in Riverside, CA is located at 5292 24th Street, Riverside, CA 92509.

50 miles from Orange County and Los Angeles, 90 miles from San Diego, and only 436 miles from Tucson, AZ!

Adams Motorsports Park | Southern California Race Track

If it has pedals, you can race it!

Track Time from 2:30pm to 10:30pm, racing under the lights!

Overnight Camping Available, Food, Bike Show and Swap, Vendors, and all the elbow to elbow Racing you can handle!

Future Race Schedule:

March 17, 2012

June 16, 2012

September 15, 2012

December 8, 2012

*Safety Gear and Age Requirements:

*All Riders Must Be 16 Years of Age or Older

*Helmet: Must be DOT, Snell or equivalent.
NO Novelty, Bicycle, Hardhats, Military Helmets, etc, allowed!

*Knee and Elbow Pads: Must have Plastic Caps.
If you buy a cheap pair MAKE SURE THEY STAY ON. any rider that loses a pad or has one flapping in the wind will be BLACK FLAGGED.

*Gloves

*Long Pants, Long Sleeve Shirt NO Shorts or Tshirts! Save those for the pits.

*No Open Toed Shoes, Sandals, or Slip-ons. HighTops are Strongly Recommended

*Motorcycle Leathers are OK in lieu of pads, and Recommended.

*These Requirements are Non-Negotiable. Anyone not meeting these requirements will be BLACK FLAGGED.

The primary info thread is here:

http://motorbicycling.com/f35/bairdco-racing-series-begins-march-17th-36520.html#post358294

ES thread here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35967

Eric (Green Machine) said cancelled due SF Golden Gate Bridge closed due anniversery.

Alan B said:
Slacker's peak ride (Marin) this coming Sunday:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27113&p=585808#p585808

please post any West Coast ebike Events here in this topic, and subscribe to be notified of new postings.

Back