Sydney group ride - - Saturday 18th August

Hyena

10 GW
Hey guys,
I've been meaning to organise a group ride for ages but keep having things get in the way. We can't have these other clowns all over the country organising all these meets and have us dip out now can we ? :p

So, how about a group ride on Sunday the 15th of July ? I'm fairly easy though if everyone would rather do it saturday though.
South East Sydney with riding on bitumen and some light offroading on gravel.

We'll meet at the Loftus cycle track and do some laps there if people are keen - maybe have a race :p
In the middle of the loop there's also a tight twisty BMX track that's a fun few minutes of riding. Then we could head across the road into the royal national park where we can ride as long and as far as you like on the fire trails there. It's gravel but most of the surface isn't very rough and even a $100 kmart hard tail will do OK. If everyone has a decent capacity battery that can do over 30km we could go right along lady carrington drive which is a nice ride, otherwise we'll stick to the shorter tracks.
Technically none of it is on the road so those with all ebikes can attend, from 200w bafang commercial electric bikes to modded high power stealth bombers and home made creations.

Lunch can be a picnic/BBQ at Audley and if you don't want to BYO we could all chuck in and I'll organise snags and rolls etc.
It's the middle of national park so there's not much in the way of power around for recharging but I eye-spied a pumping station with a 3 phase outlet so I'm going to go measure that with my multimetre and if it has juice on it we can use that to recharge :p

There's plenty of parking at Loftus cycle track if you want to drive your bike there, and is just opposite Loftus train station if you want to get the train (and 2 minutes ride from Sutherland where all train on the Bondi-Cronulla / south coast line ) You can drive to the national park if you want but you'll need to pay for a parking pass if you enter the park and it's only a few minutes down the road so range shouldn't be tooo much of an issue.

This is the starting point and roughly where we'll have lunch, but it's the driving route along the road where as we'll loop around through the fire trails.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=rawson+ave+loftus&daddr=Riverside+Rd&hl=en&ll=-34.057211,151.056776&spn=0.052763,0.077162&sll=-34.040836,151.056519&sspn=0.013193,0.01929&geocode=FZyP-P0dSeQACSkdigOdMccSazHi4NNbN_OvlQ%3BFVQg-P0d1fwACQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=14

Show of hands ?

Cool, it'll be interesting to put my fighter up against and stock one and compare the difference :)

Cowardlyduck said:
Would we still be on if it's wet?
I guess if it's raining or has been pouring for a week before we'll reschedule. If it's been raining heavily it'll be a bit muddy but if there's a few heavier offroaders keen for a mud bath I'd still be keen :p

Can't you just park at the info center/national park office for free?
Nope - THIS is the toll booth / ticket office thingy on the way in - the visitors centre is conveniently 200m further ahead. Alot of people park on the side of the road just before the ticket office though. For us it's no biggy and if just going to the visitors centre it's a short walk but to go anywhere else into the park - like down to Audley it's a hike. You CAN drive through without a ticket but if you park without a ticket technically the rangers can book you. If we get reasonable numbers and end up needing to take a bit of lunch down we could get someone to drop off the food in a car then come join us.

Hi all,

This my first post to this forum. I have to thank Hyena for selling me my first ebike conversion kit! :D
I'm a proud owner of one of the H40/80 36/72v Crystalyte motors. I've been riding motorcycles for over 25 years and I am surprised at the pulling power of this motor. I will admit I am a lightweight rider and at the moment the battery pack is in a backpack, so it's a very light and stealthy build at the moment. The controller is only stock at 72v 50A which to me equates to 3600w (I've calculated a max of 3900w max from readings from cycle analyst) but it pulls really hard up to 70+ km/h and my top speed CA told me was 85.9km/h.

I will have to make it to this group ride as none of my peddling friends can keep up with me now! :twisted:
I also will try and have my battery housing made by then and I'll have to bring my gopro camera! It'll be great to ride with people.

See you there
argh :D

ARRGH! Oh wait, thats a dudes name now.

NOOOO! I'm in Mudgee that whole weekend, oh well, there's always newcastle, and somehow i don't think this'll be the only e-vent in Sydney in the next 12 months.

I'm keen... noob thought here... So will most bring a charger for top ups or do most carry spare packs? I've only got a 400w charger and dont have a spare pack right now but could possibly order one :mrgreen:

Probably should upgrade my phase wires too pretty sure I'll stretch the stock 9c stock wires like never before :twisted:

Welcome Argh. Don't go bragging too much about your kit, I dont have any more of those motors left and people will hassle me after seeing the power of yours :p
Good call on the gopro, I meant to say before for people to bring along gopros or similar if they have them. Mine is stuck in infra red after an arguably failed experiement so some normal footage would be good.

Bummer hobbit, I'm looking forward to seeing your build. Some other time, as you say. Being local we can catch up when ever anyway. Or it may end up postponed if it buckets down like in recent times.

I had a PM from another guy with a stealth so it looks like we'll have a pretty powerful group in attendance.
Looks like we have enough people for a team Stealth vs team Hyena race /competition :mrgreen:

Duc, I wouldn't worry tooo much about recharging, incase I can't sort something out. Basically bring what ya got and ride accordingly to make the distance. I assume everyone has a CA and can manage such things. If not and you want to hang with us I'll have one for sale on the day, at a premium :p

I should have my new bulk turbo charger ready by then if I can find power though - so could recharge your pack, mine scruffs and arghs all while we have lunch 8) Probably not strictly necessary but it means we can ride like maniacs while the others are conserving their power :lol:

Oh and your phase wires should be OK if you're not hammering it constantly

Tks Jay! I'm still using the CA you sold me so I'm sweet. I feel after this group ride I'll be up for more bling $$$ :mrgreen: as I'll be envious from all the neat gear other riders will have... Oh well much cheaper then my old Ducati 1198S

Hey guys,
I've been meaning to organise a group ride for ages but keep having things get in the way. We can't have these other clowns all over the country organising all these meets and have us dip out now can we ?

So, how about a group ride on Sunday the 15th of July ? I'm fairly easy though if everyone would rather do it saturday though.
South East Sydney with riding on bitumen and some light offroading on gravel.

We'll meet at the Loftus cycle track and do some laps there if people are keen - maybe have a race
In the middle of the loop there's also a tight twisty BMX track that's a fun few minutes of riding. Then we could head across the road into the royal national park where we can ride as long and as far as you like on the fire trails there. It's gravel but most of the surface isn't very rough and even a $100 kmart hard tail will do OK. If everyone has a decent capacity battery that can do over 30km we could go right along lady carrington drive which is a nice ride, otherwise we'll stick to the shorter tracks.
Technically none of it is on the road so those with all ebikes can attend, from 200w bafang commercial electric bikes to modded high power stealth bombers and home made creations.

Lunch can be a picnic/BBQ at Audley and if you don't want to BYO we could all chuck in and I'll organise snags and rolls etc.
It's the middle of national park so there's not much in the way of power around for recharging but I eye-spied a pumping station with a 3 phase outlet so I'm going to go measure that with my multimetre and if it has juice on it we can use that to recharge

There's plenty of parking at Loftus cycle track if you want to drive your bike there, and is just opposite Loftus train station if you want to get the train (and 2 minutes ride from Sutherland where all train on the Bondi-Cronulla / south coast line ) You can drive to the national park if you want but you'll need to pay for a parking pass if you enter the park and it's only a few minutes down the road so range shouldn't be tooo much of an issue.

This is the starting point and roughly where we'll have lunch, but it's the driving route along the road where as we'll loop around through the fire trails.

Hyena, this ride sounds like a blast. Makes me want to give up my citizenship and move to Australia. Please make and post some videos for us yanks to enjoy.

Rix

Hmmmm.....

I seem to recall some footage from this very track....

*touches index finger to corner of mouth and looks wistfully into middle distance*

wobbly screen wobbly screen wobbly screen

[youtube]7S3l4cftpvo[/youtube]

Ah now I'm starting to see what's really going on...

Little did those Lycra types realize, when they snubbed you off their track. You would bide your time and move your chinese weapons factories into full scale production!! only to descend upon the hapless fools once again, albiet some months later, and this time you shall unleash a garrison of your finest troops to wreak havoc on their pathetic "race meets".

MUHAHAHAHA

Rix said:
Hyena, this ride sounds like a blast. Makes me want to give up my citizenship and move to Australia. Please make and post some videos for us yanks to enjoy.
Fear not my friend, there will be a video 8)

Hobbit said:
Little did those Lycra types realize, when they snubbed you off their track. You would bide your time and move your chinese weapons factories into full scale production!! only to descend upon the hapless fools once again, albiet some months later, and this time you shall unleash a garrison of your finest troops to wreak havoc on their pathetic "race meets".

haha, SPRUNG! :lol:
I probably should check that there aren't any races on there that day. Not that it really matters, we can still meet there ...and join in if you wanna be an asshole like I was above :twisted:

speaking of videos, here's some more footage of where we'll be riding if people need convincing to come along :)

In order, this is the BMX/tight MTB track that's in the middle of the tarred track in the video above

[youtube]GE5Wf7v-CYU[/youtube]

Then we'll head across the road onto the fire trails featured in this recent vid (and alot of my earlier ones too)

[youtube]r-05gcCibpg[/youtube]

Then this is heading down to audley where we'll have lunch - up to around the 2 minute mark, after that is longer track option (lady carrington drive) if everyone has enough battery range.

[youtube]ZgYHDRKLRKM[/youtube]

Wow Jay thanks for putting all teh vids into an order I understand. Now i am just lookign so much forward to this ride.

Cant wait! hope the weather is great for the time leading up to it so there aint much standing water around and we will have a blast.

Will organise building a ramp so we can get some stealths jumping over people at the lunch break at ausdley weir :twisted: Will make some great footage. AMybe off the top of one of the picnic tables :shock:

i wouldn't mind tagging along too. though i fear my low powered (1000W ezee) in a hybrid with 700C wheels isnt up to the task.....
i have enough battery for the distance (15ah lifepo4) but the bike wont handle off road stuff.

maybe if you plan another ride more on tar / cycle paths.....

Jason.

this looks like it would be a blast.......
hopefully my bike will be ready and i will be free on the day. would love to tag along for some action. :D

ohhh and jason, dont worry, ill be at the back with yas. i only got 10ah batts atm. :/

[youtube]V17duGlHEYY[/youtube]

I'm not even going but.....you get the jist :roll: :twisted:

Just checked the BOM, looks like rain for the rest of the week but mostly sunny on saturday and sunday so I reckon we should be right. At worst we'll have a few puddles and soft patches to ride through but we should be largely pretty good to go. I'm not sure if there's enough interest to organise mass buying of BBQ food so lets go with BYO for now.

Show of hands who's still coming ?

Cool.
OK lets say a 11am kick off.
We'll hang out at loftus for a bit, muck around the circuit there and then head across the road around 11:30 into the national park.
If you're coming late and can't find us on the trails we'll regroup at the visitors centre tram station at 12:00.
We'll then make our way down to Audley for a 12:30 lunch. It's only a few minutes in a route but we'll meander around a bit.

Lunch is BYO unless a handful of the definate attendees want to chuck in for a basic BBQ lunch ?
Discuss. :p

Back