Melb winter wonderland night-time ride anyone?

Samd

10 MW
Hey guys,
we've had a few cool clear spells of weather - maybe a ride and a meal somewhere in melb (taking into account dark conditions). Who knows, we might even break with tradition and have a beer while we are out. *That was a joke*.
Shy retiring types that we are.

I'm proposing either Friday the 13th or 27th. Sorry for the short notice. Or we can do August if it doesn't work.

A Friday the 13th winter ride would be kinda cool - zombie dressup anyone?

Preferences for inner or outer suburbs for any people who might be starters?

SD

Hi Sam,
I can come in my 'Death' outfit with a fair dinkum scythe. 8) I'll have to figure out a way to hitch up the robe to be 'Death on a bike' or maybe just ride side-saddle.
A reflector vest may look a bit daggy though.

:mrgreen:

yes, super keen 13th sounds good (only because it's the closest date!)

I'm working on my new build, but my old bike is good to go :p

Be great to have a chat with everyone and blind you with my lights.

Friday the thirteenth of July bike ride in Victoria? Sounds like a recipe for a week off work on antibiotics....

What would the timing be? I have evening commitments.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

(please)

I do have a neoprene skull face warmer so ready for zombieness... Or I could just go maskless for FULL effect :p

Am in Eastern Burbs, like an inner suburb ride concept but not agin any location...

Surfaces? street I presume or offroad?

Joe

Adrian had a good suggestion for a different kind of meetup. Maybe a chance to park somewhere and take each others bikes for a quick run, if people are ok. A bit like when were parked at the mentone pub.

Would be nice if we could find somewhere we could park our bikes;, but stand nearby with a drink, maybe some market heaters.

Maybe a meal and a longer ride after for those who want to hang about.

Mmmm like that idea...

A suggestion (tho obv. exceptionally good for me...)

I live exceptionally close to Caulfield station

Opposite caulfield station (on dandenong road) is a 5 level carpark for Monash campus, that is seldom more than a quarter full that I use to test ride my builds, undercover. smooth concrete and 5 levels of ramps, great for hillclimb tests.

There are two pubs within 500 yards, the race course hotel and zagamis, as well as a bunch of eateries ranging from pizza to Thai, even a KFC and McDonalds for thos with more discerning tastes.

another 500 yards and there is a football oval and tennis court with a compact dirt walk/ride trail, flat and reasonable lighting....

within a kilometre is Caulfield park, again with a compact dirt walk track around the perimeter maybe 2 km, and some internal tracks both bitumen and compact dirt, and a few grass covered hillocks n stuff good for offroading if'n ya dont tear up the grass...

3km of on road cycle lane down tooronga road gets you to Gardiner's creek track, with a 10k uninterupted cycle/walk track to Fed Square along the yarra and tributary (gardiners creek)

also a cycle track/walkway about 1 KM that takes you to glenferrie road Malvern, opposite the termination of that track is a mall, again with multi rise carpark, and a small reserve beside the train track that is muddy n fulll of holes n little grungy areas.

Ohh i dont have a hellof al lotta room in my back yard (within 100m of Caulfield station) but could fit (another) half dozen bikes there, plus I have a fairly comprehensive bike workshop in my "shed", one 24v LIPOFe4 fast charger , a 36v 4 amp Lifepo4 charger, a couple of balancers n SLA chargers, heaps of charged SLA's 1*24v and 2*12v LIPOFE4 15ah "spare" packs that can be seriesed up, 4 working 24v e bikes and a trike and enough chains n bike locks to secure a dozen other bikes..

Sheesh, after writing all that down I am beginning to understand why I live here :)

But anyways a potential meeting area...

Joe

Woooh! A stealth Fighter!

Sounds like I need to pull my finger out and put my 2kw kit onto something so I can keep up :)

Joe

I agree on date Kepler. My gearbox spares only left Aprilia Italy yesterday so I think I wouldn't make the 13th in time. So lets lock in the 27th as I am on leave for a few days. Hope that suits everyone!

I like the Caulfield idea as you get a bit of everything, if no other objections in the next few days will lock it in as the location.

I *might* get the train from Ballarat over to Southern Cross and ride out from the city if weather ok. Google says 11km. Any other potentials to meet me there and ride from city to Caulfield?

If weather is a bit patchy I will skip the train and bring my VW van over from Ballarat direct to Caulfield. I generally skip the train also if Collingwood are playing on the night as it tends to attract Ballarat's fair share of 'nightfolk' looking for a night out playing banjo with their sister/cousin/second twin combo... :shock:

Awesome re date 27th would also be better for me.

Re transport, if'n your bike is not too Oh My God that is a motorbike, ya can still transport it on suburban trains as a bicycle, need a met ticket for yourself, max cost $8 from Melb CBD to Caulfield Station.

If you lock in Caulfield as location I will spend some time on google maps highlighting the closeby parks n parking spaces n tracks with a few photos.. The recreation reserve close by (200m from station) also has a covered electric barbecue area that we could use if you want get all caveman and burnt meaty... I'd be happy to organise a barbecue type spread and is close enough to coles for more eats if going the cook food yerself route. Can also do similar re eats in my backyard "space" just unsure how much room if we get more'n half-a-dozen turning out and the weather goes mushy...

but before I get ahead of myself, .. Nice, excited, and I will stop lurking on this thread for a couple of hrs :)

Joe

I've had the Bomber on the train at least a dozen times, the cops and metclowns have seen it, and just wandered on by.

winkinatcha said:
Re transport, if'n your bike is not too Oh My God that is a motorbike, ya can still transport it on suburban trains as a bicycle, need a met ticket for yourself, max cost $8 from Melb CBD to Caulfield Station.

27th
Caulfield
BBQ

Count me in.

Sorry folks, I just checked my calendar for the 27th and realised that I am doing a presentation on biochar that night.
Bummer! At least I'll be warm when the retort gets fired up. :mrgreen:

Sorry guys, uncount me in.

Fell of me skateboard at the Bulleen Bowl and broke my arm. First ever break, maybe 42 is actually too old to re-learn?

Anyway, in the Austin for a coupla days, then no left arm for 4-6 weeks.

Bugger - public transport to work for that time too - that's gunna be a killer...

Sheeesh Kabbage that sux, but impressive re age NEway :)

Musta been a nasty break to be in hosp for 2 days.... :(

Enjoy life one handed for a while... you will be amazed at how many things ya need 2 hands for...

Sorry to hear that Kabbage. I think you mozzed yourself by saying "I'll try and break it gently" in your earlier post. Perhaps you may still want to drop by for a bbq and say gday?

Sorry to hear that you can't be there Ed. Biochar is bloody interesting - perhaps we can ride by and make faces in the window :p

Hey folks, an idea - what would people think about inviting ebike vendors to these things in future? Some of them seem sympathetic to higher powered riders, I guess it would be a way to expand our crowd and take the lead in Vic. Just an idea but not sure in myself if its a good idea or not. Some people who come along do sell kits and parts etc, but I am thinking more about mainstream bikes stores that sell electrics.
Love to hear thoughts below either way.

Back to the main topic at hand - what time suits people on the 27th? I'm fine with anything. I think Kiqnkf had some constraints...

Don't try and keep up with Kepler, winkinatcha. It's usually full-throttle you have to find - he's usually up ahead on a vertical surface somewhere....

Sam.

I am cool to bring an extra bike and do rest rides. Mainly because I have had a lot of locals want to have a go on one of my bikes, but I don't have a lot of free time to ba able to arrange it. So setting a time and place, and then let people have turns would be way better.

Would also be interested to see a bunch of vendors all showing off there wares at the same time. But to do it properly is a big job.

Anyway for this time, I may just bring a couple of bikes, so people can play. Next time if we can get a good venue, a day time slot, and sunshine I'll advertise it a bit more and let more people have a play with my little creations.

Normally its one big linear ride.

But I think this time it may be short trips outward from the bbq/beer homebase....

Yah that I what I was thinking, re base/beer/bbq... and options of tan track, UC carparks, or longer rides depending on spritedness of combatants.

Hey Chopper you can always borrow one of my spares, though probably only 500w :)

Joe

Back