Palo Alto, CA EV Rally 9/23/2012 EDIT ***Cupertino, CA

magudaman

10 kW
On 9/23/2012 is the annual EV Rally in Palo Alto, CA. I really enjoy this small rally and is quite a bit of fun. Come out!

http://www.eaasv.org/rally.html

Attachments

• rallyposter2012.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 120
Are any of the V is for Voltage gang going to this event? It has moved from Palo Alto to DeAnza College. My lil bro and I are still planning on riding all the way from Fremont/Milpitas.... It would be nice to see anyone from the group

Ric

Holy crap! I'm glad you mentioned that it wasn't in palo alto otherwise I would have went there! I am headed there with my lady to arrive around 11am. I'm not bringing any bikes sadly though.

Magudaman, Ah man you gotta bring something. I remember the days when we all got together with scooters or bikes and rode afterwards.... Those were fun times. We look forward to seeing you there..

Ric

I plan on showing up. Looks like fun. I'm really interested in taking a look at a Tango if they have one there.
A ride afterwards sounds like fun, but I am likely only staying an hour or two. I plan on getting there around 10AM.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_21615258/silicon-valley-electric-car-show-leaves-hobbyists-behind

stopped by for a bit at DeAnza.

ELV motors was there with their ebikes,
saw three homemade ebike conversions (joystix2 and his bro, and joe on the mongoose)

Boosted electric skateboard and Gnarboard were there.

Also Lightning with a new production streetbike and the BRD motorcycle. (plus a couple of home made e-motorbikes)

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2012-lightning-motorcycles-exclusive-first-ride-video-91402.html

I did make it down but was there only for about an hour and half since I was a little pressed for time. One thing I did see at the and talked to a couple guys about were those Think City cars. They were pretty cool for a little commuter but ever more amazing was the price. The one guy I talked to said they run $22300 minus the $7500 federal rebate and a additional 2200 or so for California. The bring the car out the door for around $14500. For a 100 mile range, 70mph, AC, heater little electric car that is pretty awesome!! Honestly if I had stable income I would seriously consider one!

Totally sounds like a sales pitch but I was really impressed

magudaman said:
I did make it down but was there only for about an hour and half since I was a little pressed for time. One thing I did see at the and talked to a couple guys about were those Think City cars. They were pretty cool for a little commuter but ever more amazing was the price. The one guy I talked to said they run $22300 minus the $7500 federal rebate and a additional 2200 or so for California. The bring the car out the door for around $14500. For a 100 mile range, 70mph, AC, heater little electric car that is pretty awesome!! Honestly if I had stable income I would seriously consider one!

I heard the same thing from someone while I was there, (except I was told $12,000)
and the specs of that cool little car made it sound "too good to be true".

So I snuck a look at a window sticker while I was there.
The sticker I saw said $35,000 MSRP. So I don't know what is happening there.
I heard they were no longer making them, so perhaps that MSRP means nothing,
but it sure didn't reflect that killer price I was told about.

the first link i posted talked about the price cut.

Relatively low demand for electric cars in general meant extremely low demand for the Think City, which was initially priced within range of the much more accomplished Nissan Leaf.

Repeated discounts have been offered to entice buyers, with liquidation pricing of the discontinued model initially bringing the cost down to $22,300. One Think dealer in Oregon offering the car for as little as $16,000 (pdf file) after an "Oregon Friends and Family Discount", a price that could drop to $8,500 for those able to claim a full $7,500 federal tax credit.

Until then, the factory was soldiering on, despite doubts over its future. And despite $17 million in stimulus tax credits and $55 million in federal grants from previous owners Ener1, the factory never saw enough demand to churn out the touted 20,000 units per year.

Think may still have a future in a different country, but those last few cars look like the end of the line for the Indiana factory.

EBJ said:
magudaman said:

I heard the same thing from someone while I was there, (except I was told $12,000)
and the specs of that cool little car made it sound "too good to be true".

So I snuck a look at a window sticker while I was there.
The sticker I saw said $35,000 MSRP. So I don't know what is happening there.
I heard they were no longer making them, so perhaps that MSRP means nothing,
but it sure didn't reflect that killer price I was told about.

So, the discounted price for the remaining 2011 models is apparently 22,300 (as you mentioned), while the MSRP was originally 35K.

from the article:

"The 2011 Think City is eligible both for a $7,500 Federal income-tax credit and a $2,500 California purchase rebate, bringing the post-incentive cost down to $12,500."

The final price I gave was out the door so I was including tax and licensing when I gave $14500

My family just bought the last remaining Think City from the San Jose dealer, I'll make a thread soon as all the paper work is all finished up and we can actually pick it up. The San Jose dealer was actually not the think dealer due to a technicality so it sold by think headquarters so it take 10 days to get the car :cry:

wow. Congrats!
I was wondering if the DIY crowd would be more inclined to buy 'em since getting replacement parts for a discontinued car might be a little tricky.

Do you intend to modify it in any way?
How do you feel about potential part availability?

Back