Student's Project E-bike in Peshawar (Pakistan)

Dear All;

It gives me great pleasure and honour to inform you that a group of students namely Zahid, Noor-ul-Islam, Adil and ________, along with their teacher (Mr. Zeshan Ahmad who happens to be my nephew) of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Sarhad University of Science & Technology visited me at my house on Tuesday the 18th December, 2012, regarding their final year project (electric bike; a project which is a pre-requisite for the completion of their graduation).

These students have not done much of the practical work (only restricted to laboratory) and have been going through the reading and learning and through series of examinations in the laboratory throughout the years of their course work. Nothing like this much practical has been done by them till yet.

It was although a brief presentation by me which lasted for not more than an hour or more but it was a great pleasure to share my set of experiences with such fresh minds to whom this project seemed a lot difficult. It was obviously difficult for them for they have not yet done practical work of this level.

I started from a little introduction of how I began working on such a things and my understandings as a layman. I took it all the way to the limit when I started using it as my office ride as a completely functional bike briefly. They were completely surprised for the fact that I never had any engineering or diploma degree, yet having to have such a successful bike in my credit.

I told them that this project is so vast that it should be considered as a project of Ph.D students at the end of their course work. I explained to them that it involves a number of fields of engineering etc. Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, Automobile. But I assured them my support and help till the limit I can.

They were interestingly involved in knowing the types of motors that could be used for an electric vehicle. I explained to them how a brushed type motor works and what increases its efficiency and all the relevant definitions and aspects like relation of voltage and rpm, current drawn, stall current and torque produced with facts and figures. It will indeed be a great challenge for them to source a reasonable motor for their project. I intend to help them in re-winding the motor for their need for there is no other person literate enough to do it successfully. An interesting asked by the students was that “why higher voltage? Why not one big battery” I explained to them why higher the voltage and lower the gear and the relationship of torque and speed of a motor in relation to voltage works, in elaborate detail. They were of the view that they have learnt so much in such a short time in a practical situation, having every thing in front of their eyes.

About the controller I explained them the role of a Pulse Width Modulator and how modulation in pulses happen by the 555 IC, and how switching occurs in the MOSFET transistors in an exquisite detail. They were in question about how will they source all the components for the controller. I confirmed them of my support and help in finding the right parts for their project.

It is indeed a practical situation that lets a student know how gearing down a motor will do to the machine. They have certainly been through the theory part but practically applying everything is something very enjoyable and quite a learning experience. Why not put the motor directly to the big gear on the wheel to this question of one of the student I explained by giving the example of a motorcycle that how we start with the first gear to start the bike from stand still where we need a lot of torque which can only be achieved by gearing down an engine to a certain level where it can become useful in stand still situation. I also explained how they can source the simple and common gears, hubs and chains of common bikes available in the market and modify them to suit their needs.

About the batteries they were a bit confused as this part (just like motor) is not studied in Mechanical Engineering. They were astonished to learn that how lead acid batteries behave in charging and discharging situation. When I told them the characteristics of Lithium batteries they started thinking about using them on their bike, but when I explained their cost, fragility and dangerousness they dropped the idea and decided to go with the cheap SLAs.

The same way they were unaware of charging of batteries and other related stuff.

In short, they have learnt a great deal in one lecture and it really made me a very happy man. I have the satisfaction that I have transmitted my part of knowledge that I have learnt through my experiences to the coming generation in such a short time and have promoted the EV industry in my part of the world. I have decided to go with them all the way in helping and supporting them, yet giving them the chance to brainstorm and invent and discover new ways and not putting in their mouth a piece of chocolate rather give them the environment to learn by doing.

I will keep every one posted about the entire proceedings of the series of events in this connection.

Please feel free to comment and suggest.

Yours Respectfully
Naeem

I wish I had the time to come and visit that far north next year.

I am coming over to India and hiring a motorbike for three weeks, but we are only going as far north as Chandigarh , then down to Goa. If I had more time I wold ahve loved to come up to you for a visit and see your bike

It would have been good to see the students and their work too.

All the best to them and their work

Neil

NeilP said:
I wish I had the time to come and visit that far north next year.

I am coming over to India and hiring a motorbike for three weeks, but we are only going as far north as Chandigarh , then down to Goa. If I had more time I wold ahve loved to come up to you for a visit and see your bike

It would have been good to see the students and their work too.

All the best to them and their work

Neil

My Dear bike brother;

It would have been great pleasure and indeed an encouragement for the students as well. But, as you might know that there is a lot of terrorism going on and your Govt. wouldn't approve your visit here. You must have been through news that few days back there was this terrorists' attack on the Peshawar Airport. It almost felt like a war zone. So many blasts and gun shots. You know my city Peshawar is the smallest city of Pakistan. It starts some where near Ring Road (around the out side of the city) and ends at the End of Karkhano Market and the total distance between these two points is not more than 22 kms or a little more. It is the farthest north end of Pakistan. That is why its name was North West Frontier Province a year back before Pukhtoon people changed it to Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa and ignored all the others altogether. Well that is another story but I wish that peace may come to this land soon so that it can progress.

Sincerely Yours
Naeem Zahid

I admit, I had not looked up your exact position with relation to the borders..I has hoped maybe we cold have looked at meeting near the border, but I guess for you coming south is equally difficult.

I have spent a time in Uganda/Congo in Africa and know what devastation civil war and terrorist attacks can bring. I wish you well.

Dear All;
I am posting this because what I did few days back is worth sharing. Although I have no computer these days but some how I took the office laptop home for some official business and thought may be if I share this with all of you would be wonderful.

At the final stage of their project the said students came to me and asked me for my help about their electric bike. I found so many mechanical issues. Belonging to a poor private university there are lesser resources for the students to do practical work. Therefore, I found that they need some practical exercise to experience everything by their self. Acting as a supervisor I gave them the opportunity to figure out the mistakes by their self and help them resolve all issues.

About the controller they were still so confused. I decided to donate them my controller which I have it on my recumbent bike. It is easy for me to re do it any time. As they have very little time to present their project to the committee.

I have very little time to elaborate all the story therefore here are some of the pictures of the bike under construction, cause one picture is a thousand words.

Yours Respectfully
Naeem

Attachments

• IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 2,665
  • IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 2,665
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 2,665
999zip999 said:
I wish we had a way to send you are older parts as many of us have many extra's. Good Luck.

Uncanny...I started writing a post like this a few weeks back. Offering to send spare / broken kit to their college/uni...then i stopped and deleted it...but yes.

If your guys in Pakistan could repair stufff..maybe you have an electronics department? I could send stuff to you guys over there.

not heavy stuff...but pcb's old controllers etc

Send Cash
He, his parents, and the people he works with are honorable.

Sending heavy things around the earth is inefficient. Once trust is established there is no need for it anymore.

-methods

numberonebikeslover said:
In short, they have learnt a great deal in one lecture and it really made me a very happy man. I have the satisfaction that I have transmitted my part of knowledge that I have learnt through my experiences to the coming generation in such a short time and have promoted the EV industry in my part of the world. I have decided to go with them all the way in helping and supporting them, yet giving them the chance to brainstorm and invent and discover new ways and not putting in their mouth a piece of chocolate rather give them the environment to learn by doing.

You know it is outstanding how you wish to encourage them and to share your knowledge. I hope you pursue more teaching opportunities in the future and don't forget there is a wealth of how-to info here.

We wish you all the best

Ahoy numberonebikeslover! Number x ebike lover here! My father was actually born in Quetta, watt is sorta "down the road" (approx. 1000 miles) from Peshawar, and "back in the day" when Quetta was still part of India... And a few years before Quetta etc had their "great quake" in 1935... He was there `cause HIS dad was stationed in Quetta... A Canadian, but attached to the British Command and Staff College, before India managed to kick those darned English out of India (our American friends might empathize)...

Anyway... Yah, also sorry to read about recent bombings/attacks in Peshawar... So, just a Canadian kid wishing you and yours well...

Cheers
Lock
(from the other former colonies, that still like to keep the Old Girl around, but just for visits...)
:)

Awww geees... Another G.D. explosion in the news from Peshawar... Ya know, my grandma was adopted, and raised by presbyterians (one christian "sect", for whom I blame John Knox, and maybe those G.D. Scots, again)... But my ma, gawds bless her, never passed along THAT disease... I hope you sir, are not so "afflicted" with that dreaded "religious" thingee (other than worshiping the ebike I mean...). All hail the ebike!
Hehe...
L

Back