AUS - Ballarat meet - 24th November

Hyena

10 GW
Hey, why is Hyena organising a meet in Victoria ?
Well Mexicans, I'm coming to town, that's why :p

I've got a job on in Ballarat on Saturday the 23rd and am not flying out until mid afternoon Sunday so that leaves until lunch time for a spot of riding.
I propose a fairly early start, say 9am so that gives us around 3 hours to ride + time for a quick bite to eat before I have to head off (I fly out of Melbourne around 3 - TBC) If you're a B'rat local there's a chance of catching me for a beer on Saturday night too. Your shout :p

This is SamD's hood so I'll let him run with the organisation. Apparently there's some good DH tracks nearby so I'm keen to hit those up.

Who else is in ? Kepler ? Full throttle ?

full-throttle said:
Hyena said:
Apparently there's some good DH tracks nearby so I'm keen to hit those up.
I'd like to see that :lol:

Touche' haha....someone prepared to paint up a bike pink for Jay, I'll happily pay for the tins?

KIM

Cough up AJ :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Blaze-PINK-Performix-PLASTI-DIP-Spray-AEROSOL-311gm-plastidip-neon-fluro-/181206448162?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item2a30bef822

I'm actually thinking of doing my fighter in this stuff, not pink though of course!

Sure, set your gopro up with a scorpion style mount behind you and I'll stream it to my phone on the handlebars and pretend I'm following you :p

Mr Popular!
No worries mate, the trails aren't going anywhere. I'll catch you next time I'm down.

Sam, I know it's a way off yet but have you got any suggestions as to where we can meet up, ride, eat etc ?

Sorry guys I've been on hols and missed the thread updates.

Might pay to meet at the train station area in town maybe in case anyone catches the train. And its central anyway. Train goes directly from Southern Cross in Melbs.

What sort of riding are we up for? Theres a few good trails, mine shaft and gold workings, or up around the lake and urban freeride so we can annoy the local bmx bandits on the skate ramps :p

Samd said:
Theres a few good trails, mine shaft and gold workings, or up around the lake and urban freeride so we can annoy the local bmx bandits on the skate ramps :p
I'd be more inclined towards the trails but I'm open to what ever the rest want to do. Have you sussed out the local downhill tracks ? They could be good if there's sections that aren't too death defying given most wont be riding heavy duty DH bikes (no doubt full throttle will still find a way to perform aerial acrobatics :p )

What is the mine shaft and gold workings ? That sounds pretty cool too. Are there old tunnels and what not that you can ride through ? Need lights ? Maybe we could hit up one or the other on the saturday arvo/evening ?

Indeed. Jay has to be gone by about 12pm and I've gotta be out of town to a kids brthday party by 12.30, so it's a quick morning thing.We'll probably start in town and head out to Mt Clear and maybe toward Buninyong to check out the trails through the old gold workings.

Or end up lazing about at some cafe annoying lycrans and talking ourselves up. :wink:

t3sla said:
Might be the 24th.
haha, tesla still has his finger on the pulse from the other side of the planet.

Samd said:
We'll probably start in town and head out to Mt Clear and maybe toward Buninyong to check out the trails through the old gold workings.
Or end up lazing about at some cafe annoying lycrans and talking ourselves up. :wink:
Perhaps a mix of both - if your bikes are as stable as mine we can ride around with a coffee in one hand and high five each other with our other hand :p

Joe, due to the way this has turned out it doesn't look like it'll be much of an event as such. I'll catch up with Sam as he's just up the road but I'm not sure it's worth the trek up for Melbourne for just a few hours. Up to you of course but as Sam said we may end up largely sitting around.

No worries Jay,

I'm actually planning on going up to MaryBorough (A bit north of Ballarat) that weekend. There's a thing called the RACV challenge, where a whole bunch of schools enter electric/pedal and electric/Petrol hybrids in a 24hr race, and I've been doing a bit of work and supply for one of the schools.

Pretty awesome little vehicles, based on recumbent trikes...

Anyways, planning on hiring myself some wheels for the weekend to get me there, so I prolly will be cruising through ballarat Saturday morning (race doesn't start till about 2pm Sat...

We'll see how we go, Still wanna meet the man behind the mask anyways :D, as well as catching up with Sam and talking e-bike biz :D

Joe

That sounds like a cool event Joe, pity I'm not around for longer to come check it out too.
OK I'll update this closer to the day once we decide what we're doing and where to meet. Sam ?

Well the weather forecast seems to have improved slightly with about 1mm of rain due on Sunday morning.

I'll leave the discussion of kickoff time 'til last, I'm totally flexible. Gotta be home by about 12.30 Sunday though.

What if we meet at the Ballarat Wildlife Park carpark and head thru the old mineworkings from there. There is Foos Loop MTB circuit and MT Clear Crit Loop along the way.
http://www.cyclingballarat.com.au/index.php/mtb/mtb-trails?id=98

Maybe 9.15 for a 9.30am kickoff?

Giving it a miss this morning, the constant fine drizzle is impossible.

Did get a bit of an impromptu ride in with Hyena and Full-throttle late yesterday in Creswick state forest, but the mud was silly. So we broke out the gold pans and the guys got some decent gold flecks on their first go. Some pics and vids to follow.

Bloody hell... Just driven from Maryborough to ballarat wildlife park... ride cancelled... asked ft to ring me to keep me in loop for yesterday arvo meetup... musta missed his call... .. what a bugger.

Joe

Yeah that full throttle guy is an asshole :p
Good to catch up this morning though Joe, talking shop in an ebike mancave comes in a close second to being out riding.
But thanks to which every deity rules over the Melbourne weather and provided that miserable cold drizzle.
And a big up yours to Qantas for not letting me get an earlier flight home. I'm sitting here waiting another 2.5hrs for my flight but atleast I have qantas club membership so I'm now in the process of costing them money at the bar. I can sign in a quest for free, anyone near the airport come down for drinks on me/qantas :twisted:

Good to catch up with for a brief ride Sam and Full throttle, even if the weather was against us. I'll edit the footage in a few days. Gold panning was fun and in true ES / engineer fashion we all stood around while using these "analog" techniques discussing what higher tech and elaborate lithium powered devices we could use to make the work easier :p
I still reckon my idea to fit a quadcopter with a high powered metal detector is a winner. Have it sweep vast areas just above the ground with obstacle detection and auto programmed GPS search fields and then send us the coordinates while we sit back and have a few beers. Sure it will only find bigger nuggets but panning for specs is for suckers :mrgreen:

On that note, FT you left your gold vial behind! Sam gave it to me this morning but I'll send it down to you. The content has to be worth atleast a case of beer :lol:
Speaking of which, here's that 30 minute Aussie star wars short film I was talking about. It too is gold!

[youtube]mhTn8cjm9ZM[/youtube]

Back