Washington Silent Thunder Electric Nationals Sept 6, 2014

Scott

100 W
Silent Thunder Electric Nationals

Silent Thunder will take place in Washington at Pacific Raceways on September 6, 2014. 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

It will be an all day event, Pacific Raceways has committed to an electric only event even if they do not get all the funds to have the track open.

Road racing will take place in the morning and drag racing at night.

[youtube]_t8ble57r24[/youtube]

Charging:

There will be between 7 and 13 14-50 plugs, Tesla donated 2 of their 80 amp EVES's to the track. Multiple Leaf owners will bring their 30 amp EVSE's so J1772 charging will be available. One of the huge 3100R6W 100 amp plugs will also be installed.

There is a 400 amp pole, 200 amp pole and possibly a second 200 amp pole (will be blocked during road racing) that are getting plugs installed on them now.

Rules:

Jeans, gloves leather jacket, leather boots which cover your ankle are required. All helmets must have at least a 2005 SNELL rating.

If you go faster than 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile you must have the appropriate license and helmet as well as a full leather suit or leather pants attached to your leather jacket.

http://www.pacificraceways.com/drag...06/Silent_Thunder_Electric_Car_Nationals.aspx

Here is more Information that was posted to the Seattle Electric Vehicle association (SEVA) by Stephen Johnsen:

Hello everyone,

I just had another meeting with the management of Washington's premier racetrack and NHRA 1/4 mile drag strip, Pacific Raceways (formerly S.I.R.).

We have just about ironed out all of the details for the September 6th Silent Thunder All-Electric Nationals event! This event will be open to all battery electric vehicles and will be an exciting combination of racing in the morning with professional driver instructors on the 2.25 mile road course, and then unlimited drag racing in the afternoon on the 1/4 mile drag strip!

Additionally, there will be a car show for all pluggable vehicles and event space for performance or eco-related vendors!

~~~~~~~WHY THIS IS HAPPENING~~~~~~~
The management at Pacific Raceways sees electric vehicles as an integral key to the future of racing and is boldly taking this on as an all-electric event.

Normally when we've had events at the drag strip we do it on a Test-n-Tune night when most of the racers are gas vehicles. Even REFUEL at Laguna Seca is a weekend of racing which is mostly taken up by gasoline vehicles paying hundreds of dollars to race at the track and a few electric only lap sessions mixed in on just one of the days.

I told the track management that even though EVs are increasing in numbers, it will likely be difficult to get as many EVs to the track as gas vehicles but the track was adamant that this be an Electric-Only event and unless we can land some other big sponsorship, the track is preparing to self-sponsor it and lose money on the event this first year just to make it All-Electric!

~~~~~~~IT COSTS THE TRACK $$$$~~~~~~~
I've been working with the track management to try and make costs as affordable as possible for spectators and racers and I learned about all the many rules and costs that the track has to pay. For example, there's the wages of the many personnel who work at the track, there's separate per-car fees based on agreements with the professional driving school instructors, it costs over $1,000 for the special adhesive that is applied to the drag strip and then they must pay for a full medical crew and emergency response team to be on hand for the entire time there's racing. Addtionally there are various insurance costs the track incurs depending on the type of racing and type of vehicles and so there will be multiple policies in effect for the racing day.

Normally the cost for a full day of racing like this is $9,500 and drag racing is $40 and the road racing can be about $395 per car. Keep that in mind and let's support the track's efforts to promote EVs by trying to get as many EVs as well as spectators out to this unique event as we possibly can!

~~~~~~~~LOTS OF CHARGING AVAILABLE~~~~~~~
On top of all of that, the track will be making available a 240V 400Amp service feed dedicated for EV charging and possibly two to three additional 200A feeds!!! I am working with the electrician to figure out a plan for as many 50A and 30A 240V receptacles as we can get and at least one 100A feed for Teslas! I will send another email with more details on the charging but it looks very promising!

~~~~~~~~~EVENT DETAILS~~~~~~~~~
There is a gate entrance fee for everyone whether you are a spectator or a racer.

If you pre-register before 5pm Sept. 3 by calling the track and paying in advance, the fees will be less and they accept major credit cards. For example the pre-registration price for the gate fee + one track session + unlimited drag racing is $90. The pre-registration price for an adult spectator is just $10 Call the track to order: (253) 639-5927 Tickets are non-refundable and they accept all major credit cards.

Otherwise the post Sept. 3rd fees are as follows:

Gate fee is: $15 for 18-older;
$5 12-17;
Free under 12yrs old

Gates open at 8 a.m.

Road Course
10am – 1pm; $50 for approximately 5 laps ( half hour sessions) 8 cars maximum at a time. Instruction from professional racing drivers. There will be a discount (price TBD) for multiple track sessions. Unfortunately due to insurance issues, this is only for full-size vehicles ~ no motorcycles.

Drag test and tune 2a – 5p; $40 and a make as many runs as you like down the drag strip! This is open to all types of electric vehicles from full-size to dragsters, to motorcycles and the track will try and be as accomodating as possible for strange one-offs and powerful bicycles! :)

Vendors FREE if you email Stephen Johnsen (hpev.llc@gmail.com) who will get you on the vendor list before September 3rd and there will be a vast paved area for vendors and a car show for any other EVs even if they aren't racing.

Sponsorship opportunities are available as well with more detail expected when the track gets back to me.

Finally, if you would like to volunteer to help prepare for and promote this event, or to donate an EVSE or even just an outdoor NEMA 14-50 box either anonymously or in someone or some company's name, then message me off-list.

Regards,

Stephen Johnsen - NEDRA Pacific NW Regional Director

President, Seattle Electric Vehicle Association
CEO & Founder HPEV LLC
253-234-HPEV(4738)
High Performance EV
Design::Consulting::Innovation::Education

Awesome!

I'm going to be there!

Ahh my old stomping grounds. You know where Lake Tapps is? I grew up south of the lake. Used to hear the drags from my upstairs bedroom at night. Have to be a little closer to hear the Silent Thunder :D

liveforphysics said:
Awesome!

I'm going to be there!

I was hoping you would come!

torker said:
Ahh my old stomping grounds. You know where Lake Tapps is? I grew up south of the lake. Used to hear the drags from my upstairs bedroom at night. Have to be a little closer to hear the Silent Thunder :D

Yeah, I have a friend that lives about the same distance away and he says he hears the funny cars all the time.

Thanks for posting this - I would really enjoy watching (or perhaps participating in some degree) with this local event.

Again - thanks for posting, KF

Kingfish said:
Thanks for posting this - I would really enjoy watching (or perhaps participating in some degree) with this local event.

Again - thanks for posting, KF

Your welcome. My friend, the creator of this event designed and build a range trailer for his electric fiero. I am sure he we love to see your bike and trailer too!

Excellent: I am so thrilled! :mrgreen:

I confess, last night I blocked this out in my Calendar on the day before and after and added a reminder 18 weeks in advance so that nothing, Nothing, NOTHING interferes with this local event! :twisted:

It would be good to see Luke … and I bet Farfle would make it too being only a days’ drive from Bend.

Looking at the map – I had no idea the track was so close to me; I think I might just get a room in Auburn to save the drive back and hang with my pals. 8)

Super-jazzed to see an event so close to home! If I can provide some support – whatever that may be – let me know.

Again, thank you and your friend for putting this together!

All the best, KF

I did high school drags with my Nova SS back when PR was SIR.
I might have to save the date. Would love to take my ebike on a few laps, and meet some fellow ES people.

teslanv said:
Any idea who and what is going to be there?

Off the top of my head I only know a few people, I will ask my friend to get a more complete list.

I’m pretty sure that Tread will be there. They are a company that sells cars by driving to your house so you can test drive a car in your own area. Electric cars are free to test drive. They will have electric cars available for the public to test drive at this event. I’m not 100% sure on this but, a few months ago they said they wanted to do it.

My friend with his electric Fiero that has dual 8 inch motors and a Zilla 2k will be there racing his car.

I plan to be there racing my electric bicycle.

My high schools BMW E3 should be there.

I think that AAA will bring their battery quick charge tow truck.

UW is trying to see if their Formula SAE car can be raced there.

I have a few friends with Tesla’s that will most likely be there.

There will be a lot more people there this is just everything off the top of my head.

I will be there.

Another EV building friend of mine in the Tacoma area will be bringing his heavily modified Zero XU and possibly a modified Leaf (if they finish in time).

liveforphysics said:
I will be there.

Another EV building friend of mine in the Tacoma area will be bringing his heavily modified Zero XU and possibly a modified Leaf (if they finish in time).
Will you be bringing your Porsche if it gets finished in time? I would love to see it go up against our BMW!
An electric Cayman is my dream car I can't believe someone is actually doing it :D

Scott said:
liveforphysics said:
I will be there.

Will you be bringing your Porsche if it gets finished in time? I would love to see it go up against our BMW!
An electric Cayman is my dream car I can't believe someone is actually doing it :D

Odds are very slim on it being driveable by that time. I wish though!

Could I get a list of who all is going to be riding motorcycles or electric bikes on the road course?

As of now they do not have insurance for motorcycles, but I am going down there tomorrow to talk with them about that and need numbers of people who want to ride.

Here is who said they might ride on the road course:

1. Liveforphysics, but are you going to ride your bike?
2. Teslanv racing!
3. Kingfish Helping others and facilitating event!
4. Heavily modified Zero XU from Tacoma.
5. Farfle most likey racing!
6. Maybe xenodius would like to come out?
7. Mikebikerad racing!
8. Scott racing!

If anyone else wants to road race it would be really helpful to have more numbers!
I just found out about this an hour ago and will be talking with the staff at 8:00 am friday that's 12 hours from this post so I would really like a fast reply if anyone else wants to do this. (already talked to them)

I am busting ass on mk 4.5, and it should be raceable before sept. I do have alot happening beforw then, but I will try to make it.

I plan to be there, but not to race. I never intended to race. However I would gladly help to facilitate the event, and/or help with others that are racing. 8)

Best, KF

It’s good to know you guys will be coming, thanks for replying.

For motorcycle racing, air fences are required. The track is already losing a lot of money by putting this event on because it is for only electric vehicles all day. Unfortunately, the only way road racing for motorcycles could happen is if someone or a company such as Zero, Brammo, or Mission Motors sponsors the event and pays for air fences. However, Motorcycles/bikes are allowed on the drag strip.

The main part of going to the track today was to make a promotional video for Silent Thunder. I took my parents leaf and got to drive on the track and through the corkscrew a few times while filming. After looking back at the video it does show how exciting as it was in person. It really felt like an amazing track to drive on!

I also edited the first post with more information.

I just went down the pacific Raceways again for another meeting mainly about charging but also found out rules for motorcycles/bikes.

Rules:

Jeans, gloves leather jacket, leather boots which cover your ankle are required. All helmets must have at least a 2005 SNELL rating.

If you go faster than 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile you must have the appropriate license and helmet as well as a full leather suit or leather pants attached to your leather jacket.

Charging:

There will be between 7 and 13 14-50 plugs, Tesla donated 2 of their 80 amp EVES's to the track. Multiple Leaf owners will bring their 30 amp EVSE's so J1772 charging will be available. One of the huge 3100R6W 100 amp plugs will also be installed.

There is a 400 amp pole, 200 amp pole and possibly a second 200 amp pole (will be blocked during road racing) that are getting plugs installed on them now.

I'll be coming up from olympia to check out the event. If anyone needs a ride and wants to carpool pm me or call 3604894061. Scott

Here is some more information on charging that my friend Stephen sent to the SEVA (Seattle Electric Vehical association) email list:

For those who wondered what plentiful charging meant... this is what I meant :)

I came up with a modular master plan to maximize flexibility and number of vehicles served while decreasing costs for the track. Pacific Raceways made available about 700 amps of 240VAC power or 168kW just for our EV charging! This means WA Hydro power and no loud stinky generator at Silent Thunder!

I have attached a sketch I did showing what will be available at the track permanently, and also what I will be bringing on Race Days!

There will be at least eight permanent NEMA 14-50s at the track!

Next, huge thanks to Tesla Motors Inc. who donated two brand new 80A Model S HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) units! Special thanks to Matt Moreno's suggestion and SEVA's own Grace Reamer who put in a good word for Silent Thunder and made this happen!

Both Tesla HPWC units have dedicated 100A feeds so they are tuned for the maximum 80A pilot signal meaning fast charging for appropriately equipped Teslas! The second HPWC was modified by "Yours Truly" to include an 80A J1772 cable instead of the Tesla only cable, furthermore Scott Vandivort and myself installed a clever switch in the side to toggle between the 80A and a 64A pilot signal. The reason for this mod is that it in no way compromises the usability with a Model S since they all have 80A J1772 adapters, but it means that the unit can also charge any other J1772 capable vehicle. The reason for the pilot signal toggle, is that some vehicles can't cope with the 80A signal. These units are permanent and will enable fast recharging anytime Model S owners go out to the track to race!

Next, there is another permanent box with two 14-50 outlets and breakers as well as a massive 100A Pin & Sleeve (3100R6W)! Special thanks to Rich Rudman of Manzanita Micro who loaned the 3100 series receptacle when the other one I donated didn't arrive on time. This will enable a variety of options to be plugged in depending on who needs to charge. One option is a 70A Tesla Roadster HPC with an extra L6-20 allowing a Roadster to charge at 70A with a 2011-12 Nissan LEAF charging at 16A simultaneously!

As you will see in the diagram I will be bringing a number of other smaller "breakout" boxes which have more 14-50s and L6-30 and L6-20 outlets. Many LEAF owners have had these L620 and L630 plugs put on their modified EVSE Upgrade convenience charge units.

That brings me to the final thing. Who on this list has a LEAF or iMIEV with the EVSE Upgrade hack and can bring it? Who here has another Clipper Creek, SPX or Manzanita Micro P3 etc. which has an L6-30 or 14-50 plug on it? I'll even bring an adapter for a NEMA 6-50 if someone has an EVSE with that plug?

Please reply and let me know what you can bring. I know Jay Donnaway said he'll bring a 32A EVSE with a 14-50 and Rich Rudman said he'd bring one or two P3s.

What can anyone else bring and what plug is on it?

Also, a reminder to conversions I'll have 70kWh available for you in The Range Trailer and John Lussmeyer who is driving the big Ford F-250 Electric from Whidbey Island... we'll definitely make sure you can sit on a 14-50 or The Range Trailer!

Please make sure only vehicles really needing to charge are charging and that high amp chargers are being used with high amp charge capable vehicles.

Looking forward to seeing many of you Saturday!
Stephen Johnsen
President Seattle Electric Vehicle Association
CEO & Founder HPEV LLC
253-234-HPEV(4738)
High Performance EV
Design::Consulting::Innovation::Education

SIR_EVchrg_MasterPlanSJ low res.jpg

High quality
SIR_EVchrg_MasterPlanSJ.jpg

Awesome job Scot!

I'm at the airport in Beijing and flying in for this race. Deathbike has been prepared by my racecar builder and should be faster than ever.

My father is going to race as well on a modified Zero DS that I think will surprise many people. ;)

Back