Hunter Valley EV Festival - AUG 16-17 (AU - NSW)

Hyena

10 GW
Hey guys,
Are any ESers going along to the Hunter Valley EV festival in a few weeks ?
I know Grinhill will be there and racing. I've just entered my Raptor in the 1500 motorcycle division. I dont expect it to be too competitive against proper motorcycles but it'll still be fun to throw it around the track and hopefully I can get towards the front of the pack rather than the back! I better hurry up and finish building it, and get some slick tyres too!

I haven't been before but it sounds like a pretty cool event for all things EV

It's up Newcastle way.

http://www.hunterevfestival.net/

1404948900.jpg

The exhibitor list for the Hunter EV Festival this weekend at Cameron Park is getting impressive. I'll be there exhibiting but placed right next to Tesla :mrgreen: Mercedes - might be a bit hard to focus on you if I get a bit swarmed, but by all means, swing past and say g'day, hope you enjoy the festival. Should be an awesome couple of days. I might ask you to stick around on occasions if people are after independent owners advice, rather than from a dealer.

You can find out more about the festival at https://www.facebook.com/hunterevfestival and http://www.hunterevfestival.net For any of you on FB, if you can spare the organisers a 'like', I'm sure they'd appreciate the support in pulling this fantastic event together. They work hard to pull this together each year, but its growing, year on year. Entry is free, but a gold coin donation would be appreciated. The school kids race on Sunday is worth coming along to support, they're really at the heart of this event, working as teams to create and race their own bikes. We've got some guys making a massive journey right across Australia from WA to come and participate.

Hyena, look forward to catching up with you there. Hope you enjoy your track time and keep it rubber side down. :D I'll be fronting up with a couple of busted ribs (thanks to some play time on my sons BMX), so might not be riding at silly pace..don't need more. Please hold off on the funny jokes.

If any of you are business owners interested in backing next years event and getting some kudos for it, take a look at http://www.hunterevfestival.net/become-a-sponsor.html

I might be there on the Sunday with the Vectrix, will be good to see who else comes along.

Can't on Saturday unfortunately, someone has made other plans...

QuietRush said:
I'll be fronting up with a couple of busted ribs (thanks to some play time on my sons BMX), so might not be riding at silly pace..don't need more. Please hold off on the funny jokes.
Hey we can both limp onto the track in pain together. As per my build thread I was trying to hot my raptor up a bit more in anticipation of the track even and made it a bit too punchy. It promptly slammed me on my arse and 3 days later it's still numb and I have to move very strategically to avoid shooting back pain. At the rate it's easing off though I still hope to be able to ride on the weekend but yeah, sadly it'll be with reduced enthusiasm.

I'm looking to make my ebike building hobby a little more serious very shortly so by next time I'll look at contributing something in the way of sponsorship.

Sweet place to be positioned right next to Tesla! I'll definitely drop by. I'm not sure what the usual deal is with smaller guys like me displaying their rides , I'm not that keen to leave it somewhere sitting around in case someone becomes overly fond of it.

I'll be there if the weather holds out at the Metrocycles stall surrounded by ebikes and wearing a Glow Worm Bikes shirt.

I'll try to bring my new beta GrinTech Satiator charger for anyone keen to see one in the flesh!

Cool Abraham, looks like there'll be a few familiar faces :)
Looks like Saturday might be the day you get to be the first person to test ride the raptor as promised :)
The organisers said if I have insurance I can offer (other) people test rides of my bike but I don't think I'll chance it given my recent incident :lol:

Hyena said:
Hey we can both limp onto the track in pain together. As per my build thread I was trying to hot my raptor up a bit more in anticipation of the track even and made it a bit too punchy. It promptly slammed me on my arse and 3 days later it's still numb and I have to move very strategically to avoid shooting back pain. At the rate it's easing off though I still hope to be able to ride on the weekend but yeah, sadly it'll be with reduced enthusiasm.

Thanks Hyena, Abe, good to hear you guys are coming along, great to see Gloworm are going to be attending.

Hyena, I'll have a vacant spot on the bulbar of the Kombi to lock your Raptor onto if you need a secure, relatively immobile unattractive object. Take it easy in the testing..I did something similar years ago in Bourke with a KDX200 whilst practicing wheelies, but on a horse racetrack full of catheads. I suspect the catheads healed a lot quicker than what you're facing. Yes, take it easy trackside, the asphalt surface is unforgiving. Body armour city. Keep in mind its a participation focussed event, find the joyous sweet spot between swift but safe.

QuietRush said:
Takes 10 laps to win a 10 lap race. :D
I knew I hadn't heard the last of it :lol:
Did John not finish either ?
Is that the data from the official transponders ? I dont know if the lap times are right but the top speeds are certainly wrong, I was hitting 80 on the straight. Or is best speed the average speed ?
Did I miss much after I left ? I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and vids. I'm not sure how close behind you were when I deployed my smoke screen but it'll make for amusing footage if it turned out :lol:
Congrats again on the win! It's great advertising for stealth, those new fighters have certainly got some sting.

Here's my wrap up cross posted from my build thread, I'll post the pics and vids over there shortly.

Day 1 was great, the raptor performed really well in the 1500 division and to my surprise found it was not only highly competitive against the bigger motorcycles but actually faster! I was against Grinhill on his converted ninja, Quiet Rush on the new fighter and a few others. I lead every lap and was sure Grinhill was just warming up but he said he couldn't catch me! That was until I broke an axle! The crown TC80 was a solid performer up until that point but unfortunately I was let down primarily by the controller tuning and the fact that I only finished building the bike a few hours before the race and didnt have time to tune it all properly. Although I couldn't get regen working properly (and as above it was best to run without it) something in the controller settings was causing a constant jolt of regen-like torque for a split second every time I let off the throttle and this made short work of the axle at 12kw under race conditions where I was constantly on the power and brakes over and over. I actually had a rear facing camera running on that lap and I think I lost the axle nut 2 laps prior and then it kept jerking with the pinch bolt alone holding it until the axle broke, then went spiralling off down the track! I didnt realised at the time and though I may have blown a bank of spokes or something as it felt a bit loose and the disc brake was badly rubbing. As a testament to the frame I was able to complete the rest of the lap with the wheel held to the bike only with one side of the axle remaining!!

It then started raining and by that night it was well set in and forecast to rain most of the following day. I was left with a hard decision, given it looked like I was going to win the main event was it worth the 5 hour return trip to Sydney to pick up a replacement motor ? Would the race even go ahead with the weather ? I nearly packed my spare 5403 but with a last minute rush to just get the bike finished I gave it a miss. I'm now really regretting that. Hind site is a wonderful thing huh ?

I had packed a 26" H4080 kit in the car on the off chance someone wanted to buy one at the event and I decided I'd run with that instead to at least have a crack at the final race. Fortunately Sigmacom's mate Phil lived locally and had a good workshop set up so we pulled the new H4080 apart and I drilled the covers in my usual fashion. Unfortunately I didnt have time to hook up a thermistor and figured if I took it easy and with the added air cooling holes I might be OK given how convincing my performance was the previous day. Due to the rain there was no qualifying or even practice laps so I wasn't able to assess how it'd go on the track so my first time to find out was as I lined up on the grid for the race. I thought the Newcastle university bike would be my main competitor and would roll out on race day with a secret weapon but apparently they killed theirs the day before in practise. I also thought a last minute entry from the catavolt team with a cro-style motor in a little (14" ? ) rim motard style pit bike might be a contender. The flag dropped and I sprinted off the start line and was well ahead of the competition by the first corner and maintained a clear lead throughout. Unfortunately with the reduced heat dissipation capabilities of the H40 motor, even after I started taking it easier on the power a few laps in it was too late and it had built up too much heat to recover. I backed right off when I started to smell it and quiet rush on a stealth fighter quickly caught up and took the lead. We exchanged some light hearted competitive banter, name another motorsport where you can do that mid track ? :mrgreen: I figured if I stayed just behind him for the rest of the race I could blaze past him on the last straight at full power and take the win but the heat was already past critical and what I only smelled going forward turned out to be an impressive smoke show behind me the crowd :lol:
The bike rolled to a stop and I knew I was done. I started pushing then decided to power cycle the controller just in case. To my surprise it came to life again and I thought maybe it was the internally mounted controller that actually overheated and reset rather than the motor (which was obviously struggling too) So I went on for another lap before the motor let me know I was being exceedingly optimistic and it was a done deal. I'm guessing one of the sabvotons other clever features is it would start to detect things were starting to go bad on the phases.
Quiet Rush ended up taking the win (though I think I caught him cheating and using the pedals at one point :p ) and I think Grinhill ended 2nd ? Congrats guys! Sorry I couldn't stick around for the awards, I got a call from the missus that the brownie points I had cashed in for the weekend away were about to expire and traffic late Sunday afternoon going back through Sydney can be brutal.
I'll definitely be back next year and now that I know what's involved I know what to prepare for. And I have 350 days longer to build something this time too! :lol:

A big thanks to Mark and Phil who were my pit crew for the day and helped out with accommodation and last minute repairs! Also thanks to Andy/Grinhill for helping me out with a tyre for my H40 wheel and also offering for me to crash at his place. Also Sunnyboy who hung out at my "stand" and kept watch over my gear while I had to duck off and do other stuff.

Thanks for the post Hyena, I'll respond in more detail when time permits. Yes, Hare and the Tortoise story has new rich meaning for us both I suspect.

The event photos are still coming through, I'm helping get them up onto the Festival website.

In the meantime, keep an eye on Bill Collisons flickr photo stream at https://www.flickr.com/photos/billcollison/with/14747042497. Great to hear that Andy offered you a spot to crash and to see the support from other ES-ers that were attending.

Well a huge success all round. Where else can you see so many different EV's in one place? Solar powered cars, Tesla, Renault Twizy, Electric Superbikes, plenty of e-bikes, electric skateboards, karts, mobility scooters, drift trikes, electric Radical racecar, even some 1980s Sinclairs. And got to put some faces to a few more Endless Sphere names as well.

Here's our team HQ:
View attachment 3

Congrats on the win, Brian. Here's the shot of me in the 1500 class race that Hyena mentioned from Bill Collison on flickr:
View attachment 2

Edit: Best Speed on mylaps is definitely average speed for that fastest lap.

My e-bike entry was first in the pole position (fastest lap) as well as the endurance race, mainly because the race time was cut to 30 mins (I had been concerned about not lasting the 1 hour race time).
IMG_7772s.jpg
Here's the timing results from that race also:
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3223507

And of course not forgetting our entry in the Dual Seat Division. Still pretty lonely race that one. There was a schools entry but unfortunately they had controller issues and couldn't complete a full lap. It's a fairly difficult spec to meet, fully enclosed 2-seater with eye height 1.2m above ground level, speed > 60 km/h, weighing under 100 kg.
IMG_7761s.jpg

Thanks Andy, it was a special moment to outlast Hyena and take the win.

One of the highlights for me each year is seeing how much effort you and your family/team put into such diverse entries, it's a real credit to you all. Great to see you extending the hospitality to Hyena in his first foray into the event this year, am sure he's likely hooked on it now. I'm pretty confident we'll see a few more Stealth owners next year..

Bill certainly got a great photo of you. That's one for the workshop as you refine for 2015..

Back