Aug 19th: e-Bike World Record Attempt Sendoff in Missoula MT

We invite anyone in the vicinity of Missoula, MT to come down to Caras Park at 9am August 19th 2014 to cheer us on as we begin our Guinness World Record attempt for the longest electric bicycle ride - 7,000 miles to spread awareness of electric bicycles and green transportation!

What: Guinness World Record Bike Ride Sendoff
When: Tuesday, August 19th, 9am
Where: Caras Park, Downtown Missoula

Hi Guys,

Happy to have joined this forum. I proudly ride an e-bike since 2009, I started with a kit from Ampedbikes. Now I am upgrading to a mid-drive motor, as I hear they are better for weight distribution (here is a video of my original rig in 09).

We're happy to get into this adventure (as our last adventure, crossing the Americas by land) with our kids. The time we're spending with them on the road is priceless.!

[youtube]ugaqlA3R8FA[/youtube]

Cheers!

What is your battery and charging setup going to be for this trip?

I personally would go with a hub motor. They are usually a bit more efficient for nearly all the riding (non steep climbing), and less prone to problems. The mid-drive will also be wearing out your drive train. I hope you are bringing many replacement chains, cassettes etc.

Show us some pics of your setup. What speeds will you be going?

veloman said:
What is your battery and charging setup going to be for this trip?

I personally would go with a hub motor. They are usually a bit more efficient for nearly all the riding (non steep climbing), and less prone to problems. The mid-drive will also be wearing out your drive train. I hope you are bringing many replacement chains, cassettes etc.

Show us some pics of your setup. What speeds will you be going?

Hi Veloman,

- I just got my motor but still waiting for the bike and the batteries. I'll be bringing 6 10.4 ah @48 volt batteries with me (the samsung quemistry, believe is Li-Ion. Couldn't afford lifePo for this trip. (I'll post pictures and video as soon as I get it ready (hopefully by the end of the week).

- We gave ourselves 6 months, but I really want to finish it faster, cause once the snow starts to hit, it will get gnarly (it may even require that we change the route and head south)

- I plan to take it easy on the speed and the daily travel, cause i don't ride alone, I'll be carrying one of my kids with me most of the time (they are 2 and 4 years old). So, my target is 5 hours on the bike a day, averaging 60 to 80 miles per day. Also taking 1 or 2 day breaks when necessary, so my kids and wife don't go crazy after that much time on the road!

- I used to have a hub motor and was very reliable. This will be my first experience with a mid-drive. I will have an extra motor on the van (on my wife's bike) that I could use as replacement, but carrying no other spare pars other than 2 tire sets. If I see things wearing out, I can stop at bike shops along the way to fix things up.

Cheers,

Good luck! Hope you get it and all goes well.

In the chase van, I would also include a sensorless 6-FET controller as a back-up, a spare throttle, definitely a digital multi meter (DMM), perhaps a butane burning soldering iron?

spinningmagnets said:
In the chase van, I would also include a sensorless 6-FET controller as a back-up, a spare throttle, definitely a digital multi meter (DMM), perhaps a butane burning soldering iron?
^ +1 hehe My soldering iron was electric, but the rest was very much the same... and I carried it with me packed in the trailer. :wink:

Up for it again perhaps one day. KF

arkmundi said:
Hey, looks like your route may take you through Worcester, MA. If so, I'll invite you as guests to the local YMCA, for swim, showers, & sauna and some sort of PR event at town hall, with the local media folks invited. Just let me know when you're a week out - PM me. Best of luck on your journey! :mrgreen:

Thank you so much!! We're 1000 miles into our tour. I'll let you know when we're getting closer!

Update:

We're on the road. No more begging for money, as our kickstarter campaign was funded and we got to buy the rigs we needed to film a documetary while riding.

We've been on the road for about 1,000 miles now and I just had my first flat tire. Hoping I can stoop in Bismarck,ND tomorrow or Tuesday to do some major service to my bike.

My set up is:

A Bafang BBS02 on a Diamondback Overdrive (29er). I carry 66 ah on batteries (6 @ 11ah) Motor and batteries sourced from China to save a few bucks.

Here is a pic of the bike
http://instagram.com/p/r2AGMLTL1y

Here is a picture of my family (they are my roadies) with the bike
http://instagram.com/p/sushFRTL-9

I'll be posting updates as we go, but most times i can't get internet cause we're camping in kind of remote places. !!!

If you want to see the Garmin info (maps, speed, average, maxs, riding time, etc), I am uploading everything to Garmin Connect here:
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/tomcortijo_camperclan

We really want to make a documentary about this to create awareness around e-bikes!!

Does anyone know what was the outcome of this trip? Doesn't seem like any additional information after week # 5 in Minnesota.

Just Curious :?

Ed

Back