Formula E championship starts today!

peters

1 kW
This may be a historical event to change the future of car racing and for more people to recognize the world of electric vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Formula_E_Championship

If someone knows an online stream of the race, please share here.
The official website is not accessible at the moment. www.fiaformulae.com

http://gas2.org/2014/09/11/interactive-formula-e-app-allows-live-streaming/ Fox Sports 1 is carrying it. But the Chinese firewall is preventing the Formula E website from streaming. There's also this. http://www.drakulastream.eu/free-live-video-streaming-fia-formula-e-championship-beijing-china-practice-motor-sports-motor-sports-238838.html Upto you though.

Bruno imitating his uncle at last. http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/results/beijing-eprix.aspx

Indycar is done, where's Marco Andretti?

I think I'll root for Nick Heidfeld.

I found this one, it also transmits Fox Sports 1, app not needed, but low quality: http://cricfree.tv/live/watch/formula_e_beijing/54702
Program has already started, race in 10 minutes.

I really dont think fans will get behind silent racing . Other lthan the crash at the end, it had all the excitement of a golf cart parade. They need to do a few things, such as make more noise, shorten the race so it has no element of battery conservation, eliminate all the spec car rules, then it may become entertaining. Otherwise its just an obvious case of a series existing solely for rich kids to pay their way into the drivers seat and parade around for the camera. Why should anyone spectate?

It was nice show of whats possible with modern EV technology.
From 0 to 100km/h the F1 car needs 2,5 sec. and the F-E needs 3 sec. and that with 100kg more wight than the F1 car.

Silent racing would probably keep it from replacing Formula 1, in spite of all the drivel the Formula E marketing has spouted, but that doesn't mean it can't carve out a small niche. What would help with the excitement would be no winged cars. Much better for the old slipstreaming of the 50's/60's. There's a large single seater contingent who would gravitate there for that reason alone, even if they were true haters of electric cars; lots of fans want a wingless formula. Fuel conservation and brake conservation are time honored traditions in racing, the legendary father of 'Punt Prost' built his career on that.

The rhetoric has made the spec rules sound temporary, probably a good idea to get such an unusual class going on a reliable platform rather than seeing some cars running 125% lap times from the leaders and people catching fire midway. I wish Indycars would stop being a spec class.

Isn't all racing for rich kids? I have the car in my garage I can't afford to club race with, not that it's expensive. (Sigh.)

What can i say, im a sprint car fan. I like 10 minute races and i despise "fuel strategies".

Wingless would be a good idea. Heck, i noticed a few rear wings were set pretty much flat. They didnt seem to be cornering fast enough for wings to make a difference at that track. Streamliners would be awesome. The series really needs a unique car image so that they are not compared to petrol open wheel cars.

Spec has got to end. Spec = no innovation. We need these teams to spend the big bucks to advance the state of the art. I WANT to see them carch on fire. I WANT them to have failures. The limits need to be explored. They need to figure out the ins and outs of e-racecar safety so the rest of the industry can apply that to other e-vehicles. If these things dont happen, then its just another irrelevent indycar like series.

They can remove the rules against letting them have active servo control of wing surfaces. Then it's as aggressive of a wing angle as you wish to have for cornering, and flatten the wing down the straights for minimal drag.

Regarding the lack of noise, there was talk about this after the Australian F1 race, the promotors/organizers in OZ were pissed at the lack of noise with this year's cars, as they have gone to turbo charged engines they make allot less noise than previous years, they argued they signed up for specific type of racing noise being apart of this, I didn't follow the outcome iirc they were starting legal action over out... Anyone recall this? Being bought up with noisy two strokes I doubt a bunch of silent cars racing around a circuit would do allot for me. The smell of the fuel and sound is just apart of racing for us older generation...

KiM

AussieJester said:
The smell of the fuel and sound is just apart of racing for us older generation...
Just as the the smell of dung and the sound of hooves on turf was part of the generation before :mrgreen: I really think the whole sound thing is ridiculous. It is what it is........

AussieJester said:
Regarding the lack of noise, there was talk about this after the Australian F1 race, the promotors/organizers in OZ were pissed at the lack of noise with this year's cars, as they have gone to turbo charged engines they make allot less noise than previous years, they argued they signed up for specific type of racing noise being apart of this, I didn't follow the outcome iirc they were starting legal action over out... Anyone recall this? Being bought up with noisy two strokes I doubt a bunch of silent cars racing around a circuit would do allot for me. The smell of the fuel and sound is just apart of racing for us older generation...

KiM

Oh yeah, I'm losing sleep over it. Nothing to do with the humidity, right?

They came up with this new exhaust to let more sound out of it. Only seeing on TV I can only say the coverage was a bit eerie. Another issue was the cars being not just obviously slower, but slower than the GP2. The lawsuits were promoters thinking they'd lose their shirts, threats of cancelling races, etc. Don't know that there's been a real resolution, just that it's died down.

Once again, politics is all about whose sacred cow is being gored. People who don't give a whit about racing think they're entitled to have a bad attitude toward those that do when it suits their personal agendas. The people complaining are the fans, the people whose opinions matter. The people complaining about the fans complaining are irrelevant and should be quieter than the cars so they can't be heard.

Fox Sports 1 has a 11am PDT replay on Sunday.

AussieJester said:
The smell of the fuel ... is just apart of racing for us older generation...

KiM

Good old benzene. Nothing like breathing in one of the world's most toxic carcinogens and contributory causal factor in autism.

We're approaching nearly seven decades since its lethal effects became known and we still have it in petrol (up to 1 per cent volume) and a myriad of other substances. And to think how many pregnant women fill up at petrol stations... :shock:

In time future generations will look back at us and laugh at our stupidity and unlike cigarettes and asbestos there is no defence of ignorance or misinformation.

No, the death of ICE and hydrocarbons can't come fast enough. :x

As already linked but not in super convenient in forum mode, was this knock deliberate to try and win the race? It certainly looks so.
Still its cool to have a spectacular crash at the end. I would rather see this then real F1 because its just more exciting to see advancements in electric vehicles then boring ICE cars.

I live 300 meters from the Melbourne F1 track (but cant see the track) and during the whole weekend I sat there wondering when they were going to get the F1 cars out because all I could hear were what I thought were V8 cars etc I was later stunned to learn they had been out the whole time and its the new exhaust system.
Frankly I think its much better this way because it used to terrify dogs and other animals, you would see stories of dogs being found days later after the F1 finished because they ran away in fear.

[youtube]r700R2c3t4s[/youtube]

As for spectating, how about generated noise according to acceleration and braking. This would be similar to the visuals seen at the bottom of broadcast screens. Heck, maybe some visual indicators on the machines themselves. Perhaps the noise could have a distinction for each participant so that instead of just a bunch of undifferentiated noise, you'd get information about which car was doing what.

I've been to the dragstrip as a driver and spectator and prefer not to hear excessive noise, or breath any of the fumes including rubber that comes from electrics, too.

Bringing up an old thread, because I can.

Anyway, I just watched the video and still can't decide who is at fault. I lean toward placing blame on the Renault driver for not protecting his position and pretty well crashing straight into the other car. However, I feel the other driver was probably coming in too hot to even make the turn successfully. So in the end the outcome is justified. Of course, most of the blame should be placed on track designer for not seeing a problem with a chicane at the end of the track where wonder of wonders, people will try to squeeze through, even if the don't have position or proper speed.

Either way, I found watching 1 lap of this race painful, as Joseph said, "about as much fun to watch as a golf cart race." Actually I have seen some golf carts race, and it was far more entertaining.

etard said:
I lean toward placing blame on the Renault driver

What about the OTHER Renault driver? EVERYONE has a Renault.

It is 100% without question the fault of Prost. Heifeld did nothing wrong, he passed in just the way it is meant to be done as the outstanding talent that he is, then Prost did what he's done before and screwed up. There is no blame to be placed anywhere other than Prost.

I remember the rookie comfortably leading the final lap of the Indy 500 several years and and just needing to follow the lapped car ahead of him through the last turn and cruise to the finish line. Instead he just HAD to try and pass, leading to his wrecked car sliding past the finish line in 2nd place. There were a few more incidents to follow, leading to him losing his ride. Prost might not be long for Formula E, with his reputation he probably won't be cut much slack.

Excellent idea, like current or rpm meters with led lites, so the car glows red when the hammer is down and transitions to green on braking.
Sound isn't the only way to generate excitement.

gogo said:
As for spectating, how about generated noise according to acceleration and braking. This would be similar to the visuals seen at the bottom of broadcast screens. Heck, maybe some visual indicators on the machines themselves. Perhaps the noise could have a distinction for each participant so that instead of just a bunch of undifferentiated noise, you'd get information about which car was doing what.

I've been to the dragstrip as a driver and spectator and prefer not to hear excessive noise, or breath any of the fumes including rubber that comes from electrics, too.

I watched my first Formula E race today on TV. The circuit was at an airport in Berlin.
The racing was very close. I like the pit stops too. They just swap cars.

Racing burnout weekend for me. Yesterday the Xfinity series, today it started before sunup with the live Monte Carlo. Then on to Indy and now NASCAR in Charlotte. In the midst of all that, I forgot. . . .

Nelson Piquet, of 'Crashgate' fame, leading the standings with a win. Normally I'd say that could get a guy back into the Grand Prix. . . .

http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/berlin-fe-school-series.aspx

School Series success in Berlin

Berlin|23 May 15

The Formula E DHL Berlin ePrix saw the return of the FE School Series with once again the innovative support series proving a hit with students and spectators alike.

The series, operated by Formula E in conjunction with UK-based charity Greenpower Education Trust, sees 10 teams of local high school students aged 11-16 assembling electric single seat kit cars. As all the 24 volt, 240 watt cars are the same it is essential for the students to set them up to be as efficient as possible, with an efficiency calculation determining the grid positions from a 20 minute qualifying session on the full ePrix track.

Henriette Thau from Lessing-Gymnasium mastered the art of efficient driving qualifying on pole position in her silver machine, but it was Dominic Schlomski from Rheingau-Gymnasium who took a commanding lead from second on the grid in the striking green car, leaving Thau to try and fend off team mate Hoang Phuc Le, also from Lessing-Gymnasium, throughout the 20 minute race. Their positions changed a number of times but it was Thau who came through to take second at the chequered flag.

Muhammed Korkot from Zuckmayer-Oberschule had a disappointing day, with electrical failure making him the only non-finisher in the race.

Schlomski, 16, commented on the podium “It’s a brilliant feeling to have won the first School Series race in Berlin. I had the best team ever around me for both the build of the car and the race day."

The School Series continues next at the London ePrix on Saturday 27 June, where 12 teams from across the city will take part.

Back