Search problems, fixes, suggestions (merged threads)

I noticed that when I do an advanced search on my name I get fewer hits than the number of posts under my name. So I tried this for someone else. For example, for Miles you get 3932 vs 3783, a discrepancy of 149. Not important, just curious. Are posts disappearing due to age, censorship, lack of space? Moderators?

paultrafalgar said:
I noticed that when I do an advanced search on my name I get fewer hits than the number of posts under my name. So I tried this for someone else. For example, for Miles you get 3932 vs 3783, a discrepancy of 149. Not important, just curious. Are posts disappearing due to age, censorship, lack of space? Moderators?

Are you searching for your name as a "criteria" or are you searching for posts by author name using your name.

Im guessing that the search index excludes the posted by field in the database so only hits via advanced search keyword for your name will be the references or quotes or places your name appears in posts... not your total number and list of posts.

This is just a casual guess knowing a tad of bbforum code and based on your posted observations, I have not confirmed it... maybe a mod can confirm.

Hope it helps,
Mike

I'm entering my name in the "Search by Author" box and nothing in the other box. Intuitively, this should get all my posts, should it not?

Paul,

I think I see what's going on here...

I know a few of my posts from various threads were removed by admins.

I tested posting to this thread and had 697 posts... then I deleted the post and my count reflects 696 posts. When I search in all topics (explicity select all the topics) I get 18 less posts. Do you think any of your posts have been removed by admins (squabble threads, AmpedBikes, GoldenMotors) I know somtimes the mods clean these up.

18 feels excessive but until about 4 days ago I didn't even realize that mods could just delete your messages and you wouldn't get notified of it automatically because I went to search for a post I had made to edit it myself and it was gone.

So either:
1.) The database has an issue in its COUNT(SELECT) statement or
2.) When a mod removes a post it's not decrementing the users post count.

I'll ask a mod to remove a test post to confirm, if that doesn't reproduce the issue... I'll try to contact the admins / coders to help them resolve it or see if it's a know issue.

Thanks by the way, I needed a systems / software issue distraction... it's almost fun to debug this stuff with no underlying knowledge of a given configuration other than what I can gleen from HTTP server response headers and comments within the bbForum html output.

-Mike

unsizedActiveTopics.jpg

As you can see, it seems that there's only 10 topics from now (4:17 P.M.) and 2:05 A.M. Over a time span of 12 hours, only 10 topics have been replied to? That's absurd for this place's usual traffic.

Looking in general discussion right at this moment, it appears there's at least two topics that should appear in the "Active topics" that aren't. I'm thinking something went wrong.

Wait, I noticed a pattern! It appears that only Ebike non-hub categories are showing up (Besides a few stragglers). A non-hub activist must have hacked into this place to promote the cause by increasing non-hub publicity. That takes dedication. :lol:

I think you're right about the category problem.

FWIW, even if you select "All results" at the bottom, which should show every single topic on the whole sphere, it comes up with only 860 matches. :lol:

Attachments

• Greentime 24fet board.JPG
    Greentime 24fet board.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 5
When I accessed the site yesterday pages were only displaying something like "Software Update".
Now there's only limited results in active topics as we are discovering.
Also noticed some largish es hosted pictures need to be scrolled now, I'm pretty sure they were displaying fully before.

Just select "View New Posts" rather than "View Active Threads"... it's an "upgrade" :wink:

Not quite--it wont' show stuff older than around a month, AFAIK.

Active topics will go back as far as the beginning of forum time, I believe.

Also, technically, View New Posts is broken, too, or rather has been for quite a while, since it will show threads that do not have any new posts in them at all. This seems to be true of all PHPBB v3.x versions I've seen so far.

Concur, there is a problem.

I thought it was the ISP caching, but it ain't just me with the same issue.

A bug got fixed in phpbb that honors the settings which include/exclude forums in the Active-Topics search.

Before the fix all forums were included regardless of setting... now that it works properly, Admins will have to set the switch for all the ones we want included (e.g. not the spam forum).

Ok, good to know it just isn't my browser.

It appears "View new topics" seems to sate my desire to see recent activity. I remember back in the day, I would always click "View your own posts", but I later found out how much more updated "view active topics" was and now it's acting squirrely.

It's good that the bug is finally fixed. ;) Interesting that it reveals an oddity in what settings were already applied (default?).

I am more worried about the notification problem I reported previously, which is still happening and is happening even with threads I subscribed to *after* the crashes (and I believe some that were not *created* until after the crashes). I am sure there is a reason for it, but I have not figured it out, and if the behavior is intentional I definitely think it's dumb.

ES HACKED?

It still ain't working.

Only way is to do a "blank" general search.

Now it's fixed.

NOT ... database still missing BIG gaps

Who would need to see more than the non-frockmotor forum section?

liveforphysics said:
Who would need to see more than the non-frockmotor forum section?

The rest of the F.A.G.S (Frock Motor Advocacy Support Group) :mrgreen:

Hadn't you heard Luke? you were voted the Secretary of F.A.G.S after your delight with John in CRs frock
motored bikes!! he said you would be honoured to be the Secretary as your now a convert to the Frock :mrgreen:
Hyena is the President...enoob was voted President of M.E.N.S (Motorised Electric Nonhub System) :mrgreen:

KiM

The problem with the forums is in the queries used to select the "Active Topics" but I think there are a few other issues with the system...

If the admins want to share the exact version info of the script as they have it deployed I will dl the same version and attempt to replicate the issue then correct the SQL...

-Mike

Related:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1875595&sid=ab4a1f0e48cb629939d7e615aabcf5c9&start=15

(Scroll to near bottom)

That's what I've been using. However, it seems like periodically that the "new topics" link just deletes all of its links and starts anew (The "new topics" seems to reset on a regular basis; it appears to have reset around 11:00). That is, a new post comes along, it's added to the list. Another comes along, it's add and so on. *right now*, it's like 5 or 6 links long.

Back