May 30th Willow Springs Socal Motorized Bicycle Race

evolutiongts

10 kW
10848630_666381463488304_3567184593457954383_o.jpg

Today was the first race of the year.

My score
1st heat: 2nd Place
2nd heat: 5th (Would have made 3rd but during the final corner and lap phase connectors came loose and lost power)
Final Race: 5th (Had to run lower voltage since motor was rapidly heating up.

[youtube]b32Mb4R4HSQ[/youtube]

[youtube]F8r5Rtt7SgE[/youtube]

Nice job! Looks like fun!

Time to improve motor cooling and increase power. :)

Good Job! Way to go!!! :)

Well it was not a case of eBike domination at the track, Saturday, but at least other electric competitors are showing up again. A new, fat-ebike racing team, Shaun and Sydni drove all-the-way from Shriveport, Louisiana to prove their mettle. Corbin K and Dave K came to support the electric bike crews as well. Here is the whole electric contingent;

tumblr_np8wv8N8wI1qazdlko2_1280.jpg

Having sold our original race machine, the 48v Ranger was promoted to Racer, and did fine for the first heat. That race, Shaun had a sizeable lead when his Crystalite overheated in the 90° heat, and limped to a second place finish.

Not willing to burn up their other two bikes in the desert heat, the Louisiana contingent packed up their marbles and left the playground, leaving Juicer as the only electric competitor once again. But having to recharge in the dirt caused Juicer's entry to pick up a thorn that forced our first DNF result in four years of racing. Corbin snapped this pic minutes before disaster struck for team Juicer.

tumblr_np8wv8N8wI1qazdlko5_1280.jpg

The blowout in heat three resulted in a violent wreck (from my perspective) at over 30mph. The winner, #59 an upper-middleweight caught the crash on camera as he was preparing to lap #62.

https://youtu.be/n4bwUDz_oZU?t=6m55s

Juicer tweaked its fork in the wreck and could not return for the last heat. But in the Ultimate "anything goes" Race, Corbin piloted DK's dual-motor cargo bike for the first few laps. But by this time in the afternoon it was in the mid 90's and the heat caused one of the controllers to shut down.

tumblr_np8wv8N8wI1qazdlko9_1280.jpg

So, no trophies for the electrics...unless you count this cool, antique Ammeter that the announcer/track electrician gave me. I guess he liked the heart we showed- our efforts to stay in the race did not go unnoticed. Should I mount it like yay?

tumblr_np8wv8N8wI1qazdlko3_1280.jpg

Cool looking race bike. Way to represent! I was running with headways back when I was racing too. Also had a flat myself while racing, and another time poor connections, and another time melted phase wires, and another time popped controller (spare was sensorless :roll: couldn't get off the line quick), and another time lost chain, fried a fuse, and just plain didn't get enough charge time in between races, etc... Ah, the joys of racing. Nothing like feeling as though you are living on the edge of crashing or blowing things up! I'm sure you had fun. Good Job!

Evoforce said:
...and another time lost chain, fried a fuse, and just plain didn't get enough charge time in between races, etc... Ah, the joys of racing. Nothing like feeling as though you are living on the edge of crashing or blowing things up! I'm sure you had fun. Good Job!

Yeah, man. Nothing sharpens the senses like knowing that everything could go sideways at any moment.

Hope to see you out on the track sometime. 8)

April 2nd.
Unlimited Class 2nd place.

[youtube]eWfWHvWh29E[/youtube]

Back