Pipeline challenge 600km ebike category

KarlJ

100 W
http://www.pipelinechallenge.com.au/

2 entrants in the unlimited class so far both of us running MAC10T's with ~30AH of 50V 18650 type em3ev kits with 40A contollers.

Starts in just a couple of weeks sorry for the late notice but if you're in perth and can take 3 days off work (Monday is a public holiday queens birthday)
Hence Tues/Wed/Thurs you're well on the way.

$500 to enter and they hope you'll raise $1000 for youth futures.

Can only charge at night longest stage ~180kms on gravel!

Camping sites and food included in the $500, looking fwd to it.

Shameless plug :-
THANKYOU PAUL at EM3EV for giving us a discount on some spares, customisation of our kits and a bargain on some 20R packs.
Bikes both 29ER's absolutely FLY at 60kmh+ hot off the charger makes for ALOT of excitement on the road and on the gravel......
bought some armour just in case.

Edit we used 8T MAC motors in 29ER's big heavy bikes and big heavy guys!

Both performed flawessly and i encourage others to participate and provide some competition for us next year.

Despite others having some monster riders and 2 or 3 in their teams, it IS do-able as a solo event on an ebike but i'd
suggest without a helluva lot of training would be very tough for a solo rider.

EG 150kms in a day into a 35km/hr headwind in 31 deg temps tested the bikes and riders.

Team guys EG 3 in a team did 20min stints followed by (obviously) 40mins in an airconditioned car whilst waiting for their
turn again is a much different demand on the rider than 6hrs on the saddle pedaling as hard as you could for the duration.

Although none of these events are races........they are still highly contested and there is loads of camaraderie with new found friends
over a LOT of beers at the end of each day.

Either tyreliners and slime equipped tubes or now regarded by me as the very best Ebike tyre going (at least in 29ER/700C) is the continental travel contact + slime tubes which now has almost 2000kms on it and front one still has nipples and rear although having some chunks missing from removing large thorns is still looking excellent.
EVERY OTHER BIKE - even with liners / tubeless etc copped punctures in a couple of thorny patches of the trail and this is inconvenient unless you have spare total wheel/ wheel-hub assemblies. -obviously the one with the hub motor is typically a PITA to remove with cables torque arms etc making it more challenging to change an entire assembly. Aside from the pea gravel which is apparently one of the most challenging surfaces in the world as its like riding on ball bearings, they were AOK and despite not having the highest grip levels very easy to lie with and ultra puncture resistance low rolling resistance etc all the things an ebike needs.

Cant thank all the help and advice from Paul Enough - both bikes built with his kits kicked ass (1st and 2nd outright) just wish there was a bomber there for us to beat! (lack of range would have stuffed them)

Here in AU the road / bike path legal limit is like Europe hence this is clearly not me riding up a decent hill at 60km/hr with a 29ER a MAC 8T and a 12FET running out of the box settings with a 29E 50V triangle pack.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4DkOdIt49A

would love to be that guy :wink:

Incidentally Paul @ em3ev has asked how others would respond to him bringing a 4+kW dual drive bike with 3-4kWh of batteries.....

My response....guess i'll have to build a faster bike!

Any folk in Perth interested - I'd love to see 30 guys battling it out next year for ebike glory.

START BUILDING!

Only just noticed this. So cool.
Is it limited by a 40kph top speed?
There's a few people with upgraded bombers who might've given you a rather nasty fright...

KarlJ said:
Incidentally Paul @ em3ev has asked how others would respond to him bringing a 4+kW dual drive bike with 3-4kWh of batteries.....
We'd respond with a 22kw single drive of course. 8)

Samd said:
Only just noticed this. So cool.
Is it limited by a 40kph top speed?
There's a few people with upgraded bombers who might've given you a rather nasty fright...

KarlJ said:
We'd respond with a 22kw single drive of course. 8)

Yes looks like it's limited to 40 off road and 25 on road Samd.

I'm planning on running my Luna bike.

Back