Golden Gate Open Class E-Bike race!

windtrader

1 kW
This is the Golden Gate Park Dope All You Want One Hour Cycle Track Ebike Race! As far as we know, this will be a first of its kind- an electric bike track race set in the format of a 1 hour open class race in San Francisco, California.

Get the details here. What an awesome opportunity to ride on the historic velo track in the world known San Francisco Golden Gate Park. Plenty of speed racers around to make this one hella race. Only rule is bike needs to be PAS controlled, no throttles.

http://www.meetup.com/ebiketreks/events/231874563/?rv=ea1&_af=event&_af_eid=231874563&https=off

nutspecial said:
I am picturing deathbike as a pedelec . . . :shock:

It could be done easily enough, and it's a local race for me... :)

nutspecial said:
Oh I know :D and that would most certainly be interesting!!
It's cool there seem to be no restrictions, but do they realize that could mean 50mph or more?
Maybe the planners are expecting the store bought or ebay kit variety of bike?

It should easily be able to average ~50-60mph for the hour.

Lines two and three were more in general towards the 'race'.
I don't understand it, with no limits.

Also:

From a stand still, he or she who travels around the 1 kilometer track the furthest in one hour wins.

I would think it'd be easy to walk the track in an hour, much less ebike @ 20mph . . . or more.

Maybe it's a 'californ I. A." thing? :wink:

nutspecial said:
From a stand still, he or she who travels around the 1 kilometer track the furthest in one hour wins.

I would think it'd be easy to walk the track in an hour, much less ebike @ 20mph . . . or more.

Maybe it's a 'californ I. A." thing? :wink:

But they're at a standstill. That's the challenge.

Seriously now, this is an enduro. 1 kilometer track, 100 kilometers per hour, the race would run 100 laps by the finish if nonstop. If you're familiar with the 24 Hours of Le Mans, that's how it works. So if the bikes can maintain the pace for say 55 minutes, are you faced with the option of stopping for a battery change or just keepin' on? I mean some people can keep that up for a little while without a motor. Or hey, no swapping allowed and then it's REALLY survival of the fittest.

Maybe there should be a bike weight limit ~ to a percent of rider frontal area

Pedelec will prove challenging at high speed through the corners... :shock:

A recumbent would be ideal for its lower energy consumption and the high up pedals.

SlowCo said:
Pedelec will prove challenging at high speed through the corners... :shock:

A recumbent would be ideal for its lower energy consumption and the high up pedals.

Depends, since there are no rules one can mount a very slow pedelec assist with very high throttle input, take off will be also very frightening but once you're gone you gonna cruise all the way at high speeds!

It ended up being a pretty fun event. Joe from Motostrano brought an unrestricted Bosch-powered Easy Motion that hit 32-35MPH, and I brought my new BBSHD build that tops out around 37MPH. Joe built a moderate lead on the first lap, I went into the highest PAS mode and passed him, and then I just sort of slowed down to about 32 so that I could ask Joe about his bike. We ended up finishing right alongside one another. Apparently Joe has been able hit 40MPH on flat ground when his Bosch bike is fully charged. Chris from Eco Bike Advantures showed up with his Cyclone-powered (or was it a Tangent Ascent?) downhill eMTB but didn't race (though I'm sure he could've won!) Perhaps next year we'll have a bigger turnout.

There were a bunch of road cyclists who were riding around the oval around the same time, however, we ended up shortening the race format due to a lot of no-shows, so the roadies weren't very peeved by our little race since it was so short, and the roadies tended to stay in the outside lane (the slow lane) anyways. I'm afraid that next year, we might have to limit power output or speeds because it would be a shitshow if we had ebikes topping 50MPH right next to the road cyclists. Or maybe instead of limiting power and speed, we could find a track that's fully private, or we could have multiple race classes or something.

Back