Lost Sierra Electric Bike Festival (Summary and thanks)

Electric43

1 mW
image.jpgimage.jpg[/attachment]
Building something fast? Drag Race!Want to race your throttle ebike? Trail race with Open Throttle class!Want see how far you can jump your ebike? Distance jump contest!Got a bike and just want to ride trail? 1800 acres 30 miles of trails! Come on out!!!
We are having a bash at the ranch for all things Ebike!
We already have some amazing companies committed to coming with , Kranked, Risse Racing , and Tangent Motors all bringing rad bikes and riders. Will post updates as we get closer..
Hope to see lots of forum members there!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 5,948
Super stoked, time to let the big bikes play. Huge thanks to Chris and his crew at Eco Bike Adventures for putting on this event and giving us a place to shred. If you've got a dirtbike, bring it out! Everybody on this forum knows this is the future, so come support our sport! If you haven't ridden a big power throttle ebike, come experience the ability to turn every trail into the fastest downhill run you've ever done. If you're the kind of person that has a dirtbike and a MTB- oh shit is the place for you.

Now, who thinks they're faster than me on the trail? Ha, come prove it.

-dave

Posting this for a friend,

Eco Bike Adventures will be presenting its first annual Electric Bike Festival.

Date: August 27, 2016 from 9am to 5pm

Event will include:

Trail Race, Drag Race, Long Jump, Best Ebike Build, Trail Tours, Demos, Vendors, and more. Classes will include pedal assist open, throttle open, and kids trail.

If interested please contact Eco Bike Adventures at 1 800 430 5094 or check out their website at http://www.ecobikeadv.com

I do not check the forum very frequently, so best to go direct to them.

Mahalos!

2pr7c6f.jpg

2ahy7wm.jpg

I'll be there. I don't have a trail bike, just a hardtail with a 20lb mxus on the back. Where's the drag race going to be? Hopefully somewhere smooth like the on the access road coming in?

Stoked to have you out!
Drag race down center ranch
Double track dirt , not perfect to keep it interesting,:),but your bike should be fine
Double eliminations range of bikes and riders competing
Everything from mini fat bike to something crazy from Risse Racing and sweet new builds from Tangent Motors.
Trail race 9-12
Lunch buffet 12-1:30 best of show voting
Long jump 1:30-2:45
Drag racing 3-5
5pm awards

Lagunitas Brewery has also stoked us with some beer for the event!
See you there!

Quick General update if not on our Facebook
Lagunitas has stoked us on beer for event!
Bring your ebike and ride sweet trails for free!
Demo an ebike and sign up for mini tours every half hour
Trail race starts at 8 with practice
9:15 race meeting 9:30 kids start
10 youth expert followed by throttle open and Pedal assist
Explore sierra providing tasty buffet including
, tritip, beans, salad, bread etc $20.00 per offered 12-1:30
Long jump contest 1:30-2:45
Drag racing 3-5 open class double elimination
5pm awards
Come on out for some fun!
Family, dog, and throttle friendly!

This looks great, and it's only about a 5 hour trip by car from my place in the Bay Area. I'm hoping to make it.

Are you doing demo's after the race? pretty please

Hey Chris could I rent a bike for the trail race? I kinda just want to beat Dave

Super fun event. I met Tangent Dave and checked out his creations.astro 3210.jpgdave's bike 3.jpgView attachment 8
dave's bike.jpg
I got there around noon and started checking out the bikes. I figured I missed all the xc races but the PAS category was just finishing up and the open throttle category was about to start so I decided to jump in the race.
lineup.jpg
Tagent Dave getting ready to race.
dave start.jpg
I'm so bad with names but Ryan? got first Tangent Dave second. Me? I got second to last out of 15ish. Ryan? Dave, and another person did 2 laps, the rest of us only did one. Actually I'm surprised my bike even made it around the 6 mile course. My vital ziptie holding my battery case to my toptube broke so the only thing holding my 1kwh pack were two bottleholder screws. It should be noted that 1st was on one of Tangent Dave's creations running the astroflight 3210, Dave's bike had the 3220 motor.

Catching a solar charge between events.
my bike.jpg

Next up was the long jump. Really fun to watch. I think the winner was 30ft. They all had to start from the same spot so if I had some rear suspension I think I might have had a shot.
long jump.jpg

The drag race was the next event up, and what I was most excited about because I knew I had a shot at this. I sized up the competition early on so I knew it was going to be between me and Kevin Risse from Risse racing.
Kevin's rig.jpg
We talked before the event so I knew I was up against a cromotor. I still had hope because I knew I was much lighter and had the 17in moto wheel. It was double elimination and in the end it came down to the two of us, neither of us with a loss, so it was best out of three. The first race I jumped out to an early lead and backed off the throttle before the finish with an easy win. Second race Kevin jumped out front early and took it. Third race I gave it all I got and pinned it the whole 100 meters to the the finish line for the win. I didn't check the CA but I'm sure I was the close to 50mph through the finish line.

I want to thank Chris and everyone involved for putting on such an awesome event. Chris mentioned there could be similar events in the near future. I'll definitely be there and hope to see more ES presence at these things.

This event was super fun. EcoBikeAdventures has a great ranch and a big trail system. The trail race was 6.5 miles of ATV double track with lots of desert silt and sand. We used a staggered start with 1 minute intervals, I was the second rider, charged too hard, passed the first rider after a half lap then hit the thermal rollback 3/4 of the way thru the first lap (I did set the fast lap time tho, 15min 32sec). However, that meant I had to pedal a giant DH as the CA rolled back power. Kyle's Banshee 29er with a 3210 became the better choice at this point (and his fitness level is higher), so he ended up 30 seconds faster after two laps. Next time, I'll pace myself better and focus on flow rather than lift the front through the silt like a dirtbike.

Chris's fleet of Santa Cruz bikes with a mix of Kranked setups and custom Cylcone mounts performed admirably. If you have an ebike, you know how finicky they can be, and he rents them out to non-ebike people to thrash, and they all still work great. He maintains about 30 ebikes, imagine the effort that takes.

For performance comparisons, the fast riders in the PAS class riding race-built Haibikes were turning in 19 minute lap times, the two Tangent bikes were about 16 min per lap. I used 11.5Ah in 13 miles but this is with the thermal rollback limiting power. Hardpack trails wouldn't have overheated the motors so the battery consumption would have been a bit higher and the lap times lower.

Kevin Risse has a Rasberry Pie setup on his Voltinator, for hunting Pokemon, naturally. That entire bike is custom built by him, all the frame and suspension components are his design, made in his shop. If you're after some of the best suspension components around, check out his site. I'll be using them.

-dave

So much fun. This was lap 1 of the Lost Sierra open throttle class.

[youtube]PRhVsPg8CIA[/youtube]

The start was 1 minute intervals, meaning the guy I pass on the Cyclone kit had a 1 minute head start. Tough desert race conditions meant hot motors all around, you can see me slow down about the 3/4 mark; deep sandy loam is tough and my favorite way to get through it is lighten the front with a bunch of throttle.

The course was 6.5 miles per lap, two laps total. I used 12Ah for the 13 miles but planned on using my full 20Ah pack until I hit the thermal rollback. That's when I realized I should have recharged my liver better at breakfast. Lap 2 is more of the same with more pedaling and managing of motor heat. For comparison, my lap times were 15:32 and 17:30(ish); the PAS pros on Haibikes were in the 19 minute range. If I had better flow and hadn't overheated the motor, I bet I would have been under 14min.

This is real racing, and it's real fun. Thanks again EcoBikeAdventures, I can't wait to do this again.

-dave

This event has definitely inspired me to build a proper trail bike. Can't wait for the next one.

The First Electric Bike Festival is in the books!

Many people came together and created an event that was a fun celebration of all things ebike.

Huge Thank you to Kyle Peredies event organizer who came out all the way from Hawaii with his entire family to support including "auntie".
I knew I would get along perfect with Kyle when I found out he was racing ebikes against motorcycles in Hawaii.
Kyle's first trip to California was to race the Benduro (an extreme MountainBike race in the El Dorado Forest).
It was then that we committed to putting on the event. We wanted to have an event that was fun , allowed for all kinds of ebikes, and had no limit for power or throttle. Tired of lame test tracks or not being allowed to ride at all at events at all...we wanted an event that allowed a builder to bring their best equipment and run it in an unrestricted manner ,testing both rider and bike. The Event had cross country pedal assist, throttle open class,
Long jump, drag race and Best of Show build.

Weekend summary:

It took us 2 days to set up. We marked a 6.5 mile course that was meant to challenge rider and equipment but be fun to ride.
Course started with a windy steady climb up from the main ranch, fast rocky ridge run , fast downhill with g out, three twisty courses with soft deep sandy turns (meant to be hard on motors..:)!),long fun double track,one last twisty trail, final sprint straight away through arch.

Tangent Dave showed up Friday night with two amazing builds. Practice Friday night was crazy fast with several crashes and lots of hard riding.
Bikes all ran great but one crash resulted in me breaking my thumb...(in full cast now) but show must go on...

Saturday morning about a dozen people had camped so ebikes were ripping around everywhere testing setups , jumping the long jump and taking runs down the drag strip all morning. John from Adventure Sports Journal came and set up a booth (cool dude...gets it),Joe Allison from Hero Dogs came and set up a booth and brought some great people, Kevin Risse from Risse Racing set up, Tangent Dave, EcoBike Adventures all set up booth and were giving test rides and chatting ebikes. Beer tent was open at noon and Free beer was flowing thanks to our friends at Lagunitas Brewery.

Rider meeting was around 11 and first event was pedal assist cross county. Riders needed to complete two laps 13 miles.
Riders without a bike were fitted with a bike from EcoBikeAdventures.
Racing was tight in lap one with top three rider within 40 seconds of each other , lap two was tougher on bikes and riders. Garrett McConkie (Haibike)won with Kyle Perfidies(Haibike) and Rob Welsh(Bafang 750) finish 2,3 . both Kyle and Rob had chain issues lap2.

Girls 18 and under Throttle open was a fun competitive class.
Ages ranged from 9 to 17. Girls raced one 6.5 mile lap with staggered starts. Nina Rothe (14)Santa Cruz Bronson) took the win , followed by Kylena Peredies (24inch Fat Tire)(9!!) second, and Carolyn Dick(Santa Cruz Bronson) (17) third. These girls ripped the courses with some times as fast as the experts. All bikes and batteries performed well.

18 and under expert was filled with fast riders. Top spot went to Max Rothe (Santa Cruz Bronson), Second Wyatt Shannon (Santa Cruz Bronson),
Third Osin Fagan. This class was hard on the bikes ..smoked one motor (overheated melted trace) and one battery (BMS).

Throttle OPEN!
This means if you brought it you could race it! As fast as you wanted!! Tangent Dave had his sweet builds, RIsse racing brought a beast, Ecobike had Carbon V10s and Bronsons running 3000w .Pro Riders were fired up and after a wild and fast practice Friday, pace was going to be full out!
Rob Welsh on a full Carbon V10 (same bike and rider won Benduro) went out first, Tangent Dave went second , Kyle third. First lap was tight with Dave taking the lead and only 40 second separating the field. Second lap Kyle dug deep and pulled the win , followed by Dave Dubose, and third Rob Welsh
Bikes and riders were challenged with some bike hitting thermal limits and throttle damage in crash on V!0.

Expert Open!
Fast riders many on bikes from EcoBikeAdventures. David Fitz Randolph crushed finishing almost a minute ahead of second place.
Kent Ferris our oldest rider ripped it finishing second followed by Garett McCorkie third.
No known mechanicals in this race

Beer started flowing Thanks Lagunitas! and lunch buffet was set up in barn.
Tritip, Salad, Beans, garlic bread , hit the spot after an action packed race morning.

While people wrapped up their meal the Awards were given out for the winners of the morning races.

The long jump was moved into place for the next comp. The jump is approx 10 feet long , 18 inches high with a slight transition.
All riders started same location with the marker being moved in one foot increments. Hit the mark twice and your out. riders put on a great show with top three near or over the 30 foot mark. Winners David 31 feet , Max 30 feet, Osin 29.5 .
Point of this event was not every ebike can be jumped....bikes were jumping further than a non electrics starting at the same spot ....all bikes were midrives with batteries in backpacks...

Drag Race!

Friday night style.. line up, race whoever and whatever you lined up against, winner goes right loser left , two losses your out best of three final
Huge congratulations to DEVO1223 endless sphere member for winning against Kevin Risse in an exciting final.

thanks, Kyle,Dave,Kevin,Craig, Johhny,Ken, Jim and everyone else that helped put this on.

We are looking forward to having two events next year one in late April early May and then another about same time end of August.
will post as we secure date
Looking forward to having more bikes come out growing the event to have live music and more industry participation.
Let us know if are additional thing we should add for the next festival...ie road ride (100 mile Sierra Valley loop possible)
EBike wheelie contest...(talking to you RadPower )
Pictures and additional link can be found at ww.ecobikeadv.com and our Facebook.

Best
Chris

I was on the wrong thread. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=94648&p=1393724#p1393724 NIck here, with the BBSHDs. To sum up I was screaming for single track next year on another thread and no one responded. Look at the pics of the bikes, they would all rip single track! I put up some pics on the other thread. (Those of you who were there know I really want old man trials. No feet down, and butt can't leave seat.)

Like Devo I am was fascinated with Dave and his Tangent. HPC with pro riders and mechanics looked real. Bjorn (sp) the Canadian was my favorite. It will be personalities like him and Chris that get us going. Thanks to many of course, but I see the White family hasn't been thanked yet, so thanks.

I didn't know there was a show and shine. Really? Did the flat tire and dirt hurt me? At least it was fast.
20180707_194258sm.jpg

This is big. Read my trash talking on the other thread. We read about all sorts of ebikes on the web, but this is the first time I have seen bikes I would ride. We should do this every weekend and get Bruno to do a video.

Anybody got a Facebook link? I don't do Facebook, but maybe I can read it.

Ok, here is my video. What do you think of using my 360 cam on the helmet compared to the gopro Dave used?

My memories, so boring, but got the awards. 15 sec of bike pics, 7 min of lap, 1 min of jumps, 12 min of awards, 1 min of people pics.

[youtube]n_3nIRaJXbA[/youtube]

Back