Sun Trip Tour 2017

the e wind

10 W
Hello all,

I'm mostly a lurker, but I wanted to inform some of you E-F'ers out there about the Sun Trip, a solar e-bike tour taking place this July in the Auvergne-Rhone region of Savignon in France. The trip will go from July 8-21st and cover around about 600-800 miles through several mountain passes in the Alps, including the Little Saint Bernard pass and more. I am the first American to attend a Sun Trip, so I feel like it's my job to connect us Americans to what's going on over here in Europe with solar bikes. I wanted to open up a forum space, aside from our Sun Trip forum, where a different circle of people can follow this journey, and voice their questions about how we're using solar powered e-bikes.

Soon I will post some pictues of my solar mountain bike, built in Boone, NC. I don't have a normal charger; I rely solely on a Genasun GVB-8 (48v) and 200-300w of solar to provide all daily recharging needs for the trip. I will be reporting in every now and again to say how it's going, if I'm getting enough sun, and to say if (and when) anything wierd happens. In a day or two, before the start of the tour, I'll give a technical run down of what the F I did to my bike to make it ready for such an adventure.

While the 2017 edition is less involved than the Sun Trip's previous adventures, they are planning an even more ridiculous intercontinental adventure for 2018. All I can say is that you need to check out their website. These crazy guys want to ride from Lyon in France, to Guangzhou, China, a distance of over 6,000 miles. https://www.thesuntrip.com/

I would love to see photos of your rig! I just put a 250W solar panel on wheels and connected to my ebike with a cheap controller. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Hey sorry for the first post; I can be pretty hot-cold on this forum at times. I was too busy on the trip to take a break and post online.

Anyways, here is a link to some pictures I recently posted of this adventure.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94707&p=1387028#p1387028

zackclark70 said:
its a pity EU bike laws suck having to stay within the 250w 15.5mph limit will suck in a ride with that many hills :(

Speed pedelecs are really catching on over there (limit of 27.9mph, tagged as a moped). Some of them, especially in Germany, have up to 900 watts or more. That's not much on this forum, but thats enough power to maintain the legal top speed of 27.9 (45km/h).

Back