new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.

Re: new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

Postby squeeze » Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Just got my Cyclone up and running.

A couple of questions for fellow Cyclone owners:

3 speed connector on stock controller - with nothing plugged into that connector, what's the max rpm of the motor using a 52V battery?

stock BB - junk? Mine seems kinda loose, will try tighten but local bike mechanic recommended tossing it posthaste.

*EDIT* - open image link in another window/tab to see whole picture - sizing problems I can't figure out!
Last edited by squeeze on Fri May 19, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
squeeze
1 µW
1 µW

Postby ColdRider » Fri May 19, 2017 8:43 pm

To Squeeze

3 speed connector on stock controller - with nothing plugged into that connector, what's the max rpm of the motor using a 52V battery?

I measured with a digital rpm laser thingy and with a 52V fully loaded (58.Ish V ) output shaft RPM was 665 - 650 rpm hope that's info you can use and welcome to the both of you to the ES cyclone central! :D

To Nuggets : That looks very sturdy nice work,Those two small flat bars on the non drive side ,may I suggest if you can make a small fold in the center of them (bar will end up looking like a flattened "V" when you look at the tip true its length ) ...that fold would goes from one bolt hole to the other centered in the bar (ahh that's I think better way of putting it) That would effectively make that small bar much much stronger ,I think .I have some planned for myself in a near future . Just a suggestion

I'm still looking for info on the throttle/switch wiring ,maybe one of you have /could answer my question ,I posted on previous page.

again welcome to ES Cyclone central :D
I am working on it !
ColdRider
1 mW
1 mW

Postby ColdRider » Sat May 20, 2017 12:31 pm

To Squeeze :

I see you have a thumb throttle like I have ,can you tell me (maybe a picture ) what the wiring I have is ,the throttle has 6wire (Red/Blk/Whit ) they make the throttle work and the other 3 are Brown + (Green + Yellow) together .

My question is the Green + Yellow pair they connect to what wire on the controller ?

I know Green take up VBatt on mine ,Is that what you have also ? I think I fried my Voltmeter on a new throttle ,I have ordered two and don't wanna fry the other too.

BTW What is the rating on it ,24/36/48V ?? My original one was 24V ,I replacing them with 48V I'm wondering if that even makes any difference.

So at this point my throttle works for speed control but the voltmeter and switch are HS ,I don't like having the controller powered on all the time .

Thank You upfront for a answer on this ,on second look your bracket upgrade looks impervious to earthquakes ,good work ,your doing allots of rough rides?
I am working on it !
ColdRider
1 mW
1 mW

Postby dtm1087 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Just finished my Cyclone build and took it for it's first ride yesterday! Thanks everyone who contributed to the discussion here. Some really great ideas.

I'm pretty cheap, so my goal was minimum cost for a decent range mid-drive. I don't do any crazy MTB trail riding, mainly just rail-to-trail type paths with my wife or old logging roads. The donor is a cheap walmart 27.5"+ bike that cost $120. I know it's terrible and will probably break soon. I'll be working on my next bike in the meantime. The cyclone kit from Luna Cycles was $350. I built the battery pack out of 18650 cells from new laptop batteries. The cells are all Samsung 2.8Ah cells configured in 10p20s. So the pack comes out to 72V, 28Ah. Right around 2kWh. Total cell cost was $240, plus a 80A Chinese BMS.

Total cost: around $800.

Holy crap, this thing is fun! Why did no one tell me this existed sooner?! It's like a dirtbike that I can ride wherever I want! I had previously ridden a 1000W hub motor, and there is absolutely no comparison between the two. This would probably beat my KLR 650 to 35 mph, and I really don't want to go any faster than that on this bike. It goes up hills like they aren't even there. I actually have to concentrate to keep the front wheel on the ground, even at 10-15 mph. I haven't ridden long enough to make any range claims. But even using 40Wh/mile, I should be able to hit 50 miles easily, which is further than I ever ride.

My biggest gripe is the throttle. There's about 0.001 degrees of rotation that corresponds to 0-100% power. Everything else in the throttle rotation range is just dead. So it's either full throttle or no throttle, which is probably why I can't keep my front wheel on the ground, particularly from a standstill. I'm going to add a potentiometer onto the GND side to try to eliminate the large dead zone.

Next is some kind of dashboard. I don't really like the look of the Cycle Analyst, and it's pretty pricey for what it is (I'm cheap, remember). I'm thinking about making an Android dashboard app that communicates with an Arduino either via BT or USB OTG for all the voltage, current, speed, temperature information... I know there's been several projects like this, but they're all either dead in development or not very DIY friendly. My plan would be to get a $50 Kindle Fire Tablet for a screen.

dtm1087
1 µW
1 µW

Previous

Return to E-Bike Non-hub Motor Drives