Most travelled BBSHD ?

Jestronix

10 kW
Who's got some serious KM/ miles on their BBSHD ? I'm averaging 600km a month, is 7000km possible without a rebuild ? I take it compared to hub motors,these are higher maintenance. Also how long before greasing is needed ? I'm hoping 3500kms at least.

I think my BBS02 was at about 2800km when I regreased it, it wasn't in dire need but I had the crank apart anyway and it returned to glorious near silence after. You don't really notice it gradually get noisier, but you really notice the quiet with new grease. Keep in mind that my BBS02 is generally run at full speed at all times, so you might get a bit further than me.

Yeh I'm running mixed speeds and mostly 500w with a few 1500w hills. Was the grease change hard ? Seen a few vids looks fairly straight forward.

Nah it's pretty easy, you just need a puller to get the crank arm off (chainring side). Then remove the chain ring, and the plastic cover. Then it's just a bit messy. Be careful not to over tighten the screws on the cover or it will crack. Make sure you put the crank arm bolt back in tight, they're known to wiggle loose.

There is a user in France who has currently 7500km with his BBS01 on a mountain bike (ie. shocks, mud, etc.) without any problem.
With careful mounting and greasing.
http://forum.velovert.com/topic/169508-moteur-bbs/page__st__390#content

Over 2k miles each on both a BBS02 and BBSHD and never greased anything. The 02 got a new controller after getting wet but that’s been the only work I’ve done to either system.

I hear some freewheel noise in BBSHD when it releases but until it becomes nastier I’m not gonna bother opening it up.

The most important aspect of operating these units over the long haul IMO - do not exceed continuous rated power.

BBS02’s are really only suited for 600-700W continuous power. BBSHD’s seem to tolerate a little more than the 1000W continuous rating.

Trouble is, many users dime the throttle and/or ride in top PAS modes too often or use too tall of gearing and that’s simply asking more from the system than it’s designed to deliver. Just do V*A math and you’ll see power inputs between 1000-1600W.

A short WOT burst across an intersection or up a short hill may be okay every once in a while but holding WOT or using PAS 8-9 “continuously” is not the way to treat these systems if you desire longevity.

If you ride BBSXX without a power meter display I suggest enabling all 9 PAS levels and then use PAS 6 or 7 which is usually limited close to the max continuous power rating of these units.

I have a customer who has 5000 km in the last year. He rides as fast as motor will power until something larger runs over him. He is more beat up than the motor.

screenshot_20171118-0rfpwg.png

On a bbs01 350w, but maybe 5% more cause sometimes i forget to start runtastic to track the ride.
Greased it after 500km......no further maintenance till now.
Commuter bike, so rain, dust, frost, mud.........i ride all year long.
90% of the time relatively heavy load to reach high speeds for commuting.

First nylon gear also.

Back